• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

May Heritage Auction starting to look pretty interesting
3 3

319 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Bill C said:

I don't know that it works like that, although it does seem logical in theory.

But yeah, for instance say if I was into the full silver age Green Lantern run (instead of just the first 20 issues) like I am with The Flash, then I would be all over those later silver age issues with art by at least one of those guys you mentioned (I forget which- which goes to show you the stuff isnt super memorable).

I dunno, I kinda thought, maybe, the way the art, y'know, looks might have some impact on whether you wanted to, uh, look at it, but you can all just okayboomer me out the door if necessary.

1 hour ago, Bill C said:

I don't know that it works like that, although it does seem logical in theory.

But yeah, for instance say if I was into the full silver age Green Lantern run (instead of just the first 20 issues) like I am with The Flash, then I would be all over those later silver age issues with art by at least one of those guys you mentioned (I forget which- which goes to show you the stuff isnt super memorable).

It was Sparling.

4 hours ago, glendgold said:

I dunno, I kinda thought, maybe, the way the art, y'know, looks might have some impact on whether you wanted to, uh, look at it, but you can all just okayboomer me out the door if necessary.

Tell that to the guy that put the estimate on this lot...

Context Trumps Esthetics (sometimes)

Edited by cstojano

12 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

But, as prices have gone up a lot, Vodou commented about shifting to strip art. My point was simply that you can find good inexpensive page art by shifting your focus to other artists involved in page art, including the names we had mentioned.

But if you shift to strip art, you can get great artists and great art at a fraction of what the equivalent comic OA would cost, versus lowering one's standards and buying mediocre comic artists who are cheap because they're mediocre.

11 hours ago, pestonaccio said:

Can someone please explain me why the opening title page from season of mists, featuring the super cool destiny's back, sold for 31k?

I know it's the best and most craved for sandman storyline, but it's a "dull" page!

Because it's a beautifully drawn page that's the kick-off to a great storyline?

And also because I was the underbidder and drove the price up in my disbelief that someone else was willing to pay this much for the piece.  

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

Because it's a beautifully drawn page that's the kick-off to a great storyline?

And also because I was the underbidder and drove the price up in my disbelief that someone else was willing to pay this much for the piece.  

Have there been any strong Sandman pages on HA recently?

6 hours ago, mtlevy1 said:

Have there been any strong Sandman pages on HA recently?

Haven't seen anything, particularly from the earlier issues.  I did pick up a great page on Hake's of all places.

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

Haven't seen anything, particularly from the earlier issues.  I did pick up a great page on Hake's of all places.

Albert will have one for sell once in a while. I think he has access to pages from Issue #1 .  Is $25K the going price?

51 minutes ago, Matches_Malone said:

Albert will have one for sell once in a while. I think he has access to pages from Issue #1 .  Is $25K the going price?

I think the most recent page from issue #1 on Alberts site sold for $15K on June 10.  No Sandman, but the main protagonist was featured prominently.

Not many sandman pages sell on auction, true. I remember one by dringenberg sold on Hakes a year ago and one by hempel on clink some months ago. A zulli splash (unsold) on eBay.

Privately things are easier. An important Spanish collector just sold two prime Kelley Jones pages from season of mists with  "a lot of dream" in the last weeks. I have had for sale some pages in the last year and not all them were sold.

Abert Is selling pages from issue one without dream for 9/10K. The 25k page has a drawing of dream wearing the mask.

31k for that page still sounds crazy. 

31 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I think the most recent page from issue #1 on Alberts site sold for $15K on June 10.  No Sandman, but the main protagonist was featured prominently.

Actually Sandman/Dream is in the last 2 panels and it contains his first spoken sentence. He only spoke 4 individual words on a previous page. The page sums up the Sandman 1 story pretty well and I like this better then the one Albert sold for 25k which  just had a sketch of Dream in a book.

12 minutes ago, RICKYBOBBY said:

Actually Sandman/Dream is in the last 2 panels and it contains his first spoken sentence. He only spoke 4 individual words on a previous page. The page sums up the Sandman 1 story pretty well and I like this better then the one Albert sold for 25k which  just had a sketch of Dream in a book.

I see the 1st spoken words, but there’s no sandman in the last two panels…just perspective from his POV

2 hours ago, Taylor G said:

In today's overheated speculative market, a discussion on what is undervalued should be conducted privately (and I don't mean on comic art lists!), not on a public forum like this. 

Unless you're trying to talk up stuff you want to sell, which would make you.....a shill. :jokealert:

I used the term “undervalued” when I should have said under-appreciated. Price and quality don’t correlate very well in this hobby, I think, with price having a lot to do with nostalgia. My interest isn’t selling: it is to bring what I consider alternatives up for consideration so people who don’t really know some of these names can find good stuff without paying a fortune. And by the way, “undervalued” seems like a fair subject here. How many times have we seen the results of auctions include discussions about someone getting a “good deal”?

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I see the 1st spoken words, but there’s no sandman in the last two panels…just perspective from his POV

Yeah - his POV with him talking. So you can’t say no sandman just because he’s not drawn on the page. 
At least that’s how I see it.

On 6/22/2021 at 6:15 AM, tth2 said:

What did you get buddy?:popcorn: