• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

This is correct.  It was in 1989/1990 when people started looking at Bronze Age books as a value compared to the Silver Age explosion of the time.  And MS 5 was identified at that time as a big key issue.  Before that, most issues of Ghost Rider were quarter box material.

Yes, in the 1990's era of Wizard and the monthly Overstreet Price Guide updates MS5 was most certainly a hot book and Ghost Rider was a hot character. Ghost Rider V2 came out during this period, as did numerous other Ghost Rider one-offs and crossovers. It was definitely broken out in the Annual Price Guide before that though, it's nothing like the new movie-inspired keys of the last 10 years.

3 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

It isn't magic. Most Bronze Age books are still raw. Many guys who were collecting back then still have their collections but aren't actively buying and have no idea that that book is worth that kind of coin. (I used to collect BA books back in the 80s but then switched to GA only; I had no idea that that book was a five-figure book let alone a six-figure book.)

But that's the whole point I am making. Time. While 95 more 9.8s might be out there sitting in the closets of people that don't collect and don't pay attention any more, that isn't relevant to the market. Exactly because they are sitting in closets and not available for sale. They may and will likely sit in those closets for another 10, 20, 30 or more years. How does that do anyone that is looking for one today any good? Oh I want a 9.8 MS5 but I'll just go ahead and wait another 30 years to get one because by then there will be 100 of them in 9.8 out there and they'll be cheap. No one thinks that way.

The very first book shows what has been typical of prior Signature auctions, that the final hammer prices often exceed by a large amount the highest bid from the online portion of the auction.

13 minutes ago, namisgr said:

The very first book shows what has been typical of prior Signature auctions, that the final hammer prices often exceed by a large amount the highest bid from the online portion of the auction.

Of course.  I don't understand anyone that tries to prognosticate based on the online-only bidding, particularly days out.  

3 hours ago, drbanner said:

I think we’ll find out in the next 12 months if this book is actually rare in 9.8, if all the 9.6 owners are running to get their copies pressed, or if there are dozens/hundreds of raw HG copies sitting in collections.

3 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I think it will take longer than 12 months. News doesn't spread quite that fast, especially not to guys who might not be active in the hobby right now (which is probably 90% of the guys who built up their collections in the 70s and 80s). I think that you will see at least a few more 9.8s within the next 12 months, though.

You guys didn't think that a copy selling for $50K 4 years ago would be enough to pull new copies into the market? ???

I do.

3 hours ago, Pantodude said:

Hard to ignore that this would/should have happened already in 2013 ($13K for a MS5 9.8) and 2016 ($48.5K for MS5 9.8) when MS5 in 9.8 sold for multiples of a GSXM1 in 9.8.  There is no reason why promising 9.6 copies of this book, but not TMNT1, SW1s, ASM129s, and yes GSXM1s, etc., were held back.  It is irrational, sorry.  But time will tell, as you say.  

Don't bother defending your position too hard. Some people just won't see it even if you're right.

Many people are still caught in the 'old way' of doing things (including me, I'm not a fan of these new valuations and price relationships) but if this is how newer collectors think and you can't change or stop it there's no point in denying it.

I don't think it's healthy but maybe I'm just that grumpy old guy from 20 or 30 years ago when an AF #15 sold for $50K for the 1st time.

My favorite new saying is that "truth is the daughter of time, not of authority".

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:
3 hours ago, drbanner said:

Ghost Rider was the hottest character of the BA for a while back in the day, this book has been heavily collected since well before CGC opened their doors.

Ghost Rider was never "hot" at all during the Bronze Age or anytime through the end of the 80s that I can recall.  

Agreed.