• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, MrBedrock said:
7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

On the other hand, is it possible that if this collection was being auctioned off by either CC or CL, imagine how many fewer CGC 9.8's we would be seeing?  :devil:

If I had gotten this collection imagine how much nothing you would be seeing.

Same here and I guess this is why the ownership at CCG is certainly happy that collectors hoarders like you and me didn't find this collection.  (tsk)

7 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

Yes. It's been obvious to me for a long time that "gift graded" and "submitted by Heritage" are synonyms.

Especially in a vertically integrated business environment like theirs where all of their direct and indirect linked corporate interests can enjoy the fun and benefits of mutual and passionate back scratching that must be taking place between all of the parties involved.  lol  :censored:

15 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F0%2F9%2F6%2F24096094%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Well, for comparison purposes for @buttock sake, does the above 'Tec 152 appear to be a softly graded CGC 8.5 book with the staple, spine and off-centering issues on this book here, especially when compared to this equivalent graded book below with the same PQ from a full 10 years earlier way back in 1939:  hm

cra2.217.jpg

And since we are always worried about the back cover defects, here's what we can see in terms of the back cover:  :luhv:

cra2.217b.jpg

10 hours ago, szav said:

Not that it matters in how one should approach these books, but I’m curious if the perception is that CGC is in a period of soft grading for everything, vs they’re just being easy on the Promise books right now.  

Well, from some of the scans which other boardies have been posting along with some of the commentary here, it would appear that the answer to your question as posted above should be pretty obvious.  :gossip:

Then again, since a picture is worth a thousand words, I am quite sure that CGC is conducting their usual due diligence on all of the books and applying their grading whip accordingly; as follows:  lol

The grading whip for the Promise Collection books:  :luhv:  :takeit:

Hot Spot Adult Leather Bedroom Whip Role Play Fun Item Black/Red:  Amazon.ca: Clothing & Accessories

And the one for the random odd HG books from no name small time collectors like you and me:  :fear:

male hand holding brown leather whip isolated on white backgroun - Buy this  stock photo and explore similar images at Adobe Stock | Adobe Stock

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, jimbo_7071 said:

It's a shame. I would have loved to bid on some of these books if they had been graded accurately. As it is, I have no chance of walking away with any of them because my valuation will be way below that of people who are bidding based on the label.

yep! you crack any of these out and try to resubmit some day? Good luck with that :shy:

13 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

Exactly...you can never please all the people all the time...this collection is an opportunity to get these books from a time capsule and I think some of the complaints on grading is going be forgotten at auction time. I stand by my advice, chose the book carefully and pick your battles.

I think it's hilarious, and just wrong, to say what CBCS "would have" done, when CGC was given this task.  Many comments in regards to poor grading, and spot on or not, CGC has to answer for these grades.

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, for comparison purposes for @buttock sake, does the above 'Tec 152 appear to be a softly graded CGC 8.5 book with the staple, spine and off-centering issues on this book here, especially when compared to this equivalent graded book below with the same PQ from a full 10 years earlier way back in 1939:  hm

cra2.217.jpg

And since we are always worried about the back cover defects, here's what we can see in terms of the back cover:  :luhv:

cra2.217b.jpg

I don't know.  You can't grade from a scan.  :baiting:

19 minutes ago, Jayman said:

It almost seems that these books were graded at the “potential” they were expected to get after the pressing or any other manipulation was done. Whether or not it improved or detracted! :facepalm:

I'm wondering whether what CGC did with these books rises to the level of criminal activity. It seems like there must have been some kind of sweetheart deal between CGC and Heritage. There's no other way to account for the grades. Books with corners ripped off getting 9.0 grades? Really? Overgraded books are common enough, but I have never seen this many books this overgraded. It might be a difficult case to prove in court, but I don't think it would be impossible. It would require a lot of effort to educate a jury, that's all. The company that owns a stake in CGC consistently seems to get the loosest grades. Smells like collusion to me; it could even be a RICO case.

Edited by jimbo_7071

17 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I would tend to agree with @GreatCaesarsGhost ... in that I strongly believe this auction of the Promise Collection ... will only be a huge positive on prices of GA books (in general) going forward:  hm  (thumbsu

As a GA collector whom has watched the boom of SA/BA visa-vie MCU movies, I’m a sceptic.

3 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I'm wondering whether what CGC did with these books rises to the level of criminal activity. It seems like there must have been some kind of sweetheart deal between CGC and Heritage. There's no other way to account for the grades. Books with corners ripped off getting 9.0 grades? Really? Overgraded books are common enough, but I have never seen this many books this overgraded. It might be a difficult case to prove in court, but I don't think it would be impossible. It would require a lot of effort to educate a jury, that's all. The company that owns a stake in CGC consistently seems to get the loosest grades. Smells like collusion to me; it could even be a RICO case.

Brave words coming from a purple dinosaur... :baiting:

(: