• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, innocuous said:

All the more reason I may take a trip to Dallas, plus, I have a ton of airline miles I haven't used in 18 months.

I've thought the same thing.  I'm sitting on around 400K in United miles.  But, while the auction would be cool, Dallas in late June is not my top vacation desire.  I think there will be other auctions I'll want to attend more as they get past the "dazzle them!" phase and move into the meat and potatoes.

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

That is a sad and sobering thought. Sad that the original owners of this collection put them away and took such incredible care of them. And then in a few months the whole collection is turned into a “Frankencollection” by it’s new owners. All in the name of the almighty buck. 

Sorry if I come across as a whiner. I appreciate money as much as the next guy. I am saying this as a “true collector” and obviously a dying breed in this hobby. 

I might or might not go for a few I really like but will always know their status and will hold them in a lot less esteem than so many of the truly great pedigrees that have proceeded it...

So, did HA buy them outright or were they consigned? I think that is a critical fact which would lead one to agree with your conclusion that they could hit market at top condition after pressing. Ha and maybe CC would be the only ones in the business that could easily write the check, with HA clearly the top guy as they do not rely 100% on comic auctions and probably could cut a 15 million dollar check in a heartbeat. Knowing HA if they expect 25M retail they are gonna pay somewhere between 8-10 Million plus pressing and grading costs of say 500K..just a guess any info out there about this???

1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:

So, did HA buy them outright or were they consigned? I think that is a critical fact which would lead one to agree with your conclusion that they could hit market at top condition after pressing. Ha and maybe CC would be the only ones in the business that could easily write the check, with HA clearly the top guy as they do not rely 100% on comic auctions and probably could cut a 15 million dollar check in a heartbeat. Knowing HA if they expect 25M retail they are gonna pay somewhere between 8-10 Million plus pressing and grading costs of say 500K..just a guess any info out there about this???

Wouldn't you think this is a $200 million collection?

15 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Thanks so much for the lesson on “simple economics”. I believe I understand the principle. 

I’ve been dealing in comics for 50 years. I remember seeing the Church collection for the first time. Chuck was asking multiples of guide. His point was that whatever we thought was “mint” went out the door with these books. He was right and we paid those multiples happily. They were indeed very special and unique. The collection was as found and not manulipated. 

CGC came to be because the price of comics got to be serious. Collectors were tired of being cheated with undisclosed restoration. 

Kind of sad, that our “standards” have slipped depending on how much money we can make. This was why CGC was created and now, in order to make a few more bucks CGC, HA and many of us turn a blind eye. 

We don’t know the back story on this collection. I have heard a lot of skuttle butt on the origin, the sellers even evaluations and who actually owns them. But this is just talk. Until we hear from HA (and when we do, it will be straight marketing), we will not know much. 

The longer this goes on, the less I’m really interested in owning any of these. Those of you who are more impressed with dollar signs than beautiful comics should have a heck of a good time. 

I'm not sure why you're being snarky with me.

If the collector base evolved and people who really wanted unpressed books paid more for them it would probably close the gap enough that it would reduce the 'press resub' market.

I didn't make the market. The market made itself.

18 hours ago, Robot Man said:

So would I and it would be smart on HA’s part to do so. I doubt it will happen though.

I remember talking to Chuck about Edgar’s “closet”. He said it buckled his knees when they opened the door and he saw those stacks and smelled that smell. Of course he, like most of us would want to move those books as fast as possible into our van before we woke up or the heirs changed their minds. Documenting it would probably the last thing on our minds. 

Well, it shouldn't be. Not after these decades since Chuck R. secured the Church books. I understand the excitement that comes with such situations and I don't suggest anyone behaved like a "tombraider" (if there was in fact no documentation of the untouched state of the "Promise" site and the books), but in 2021 a few photos would be nice for collector's history (and a benefit for marketing as well, IMO).

You might even have done something like a third/revised Gerber GA volume out of this collection alone. 

18 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

I think the story will be released by HA....but the marketing dept will have its say!

Of course. I'm a fresh new customer of HA, hence lately got their "Collector's Handbook" (J. Halperin & others) for free. It advises precisely about how to achieve the best results for sellers and how they strengthen/run the marketing of historical finds ("The Swamp Collection/Find (?)" of baseball cards). Hmm, let's wait and see ... hm

Edited by Pickie

2 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I was coerced into watching a movie called "the Promise" once, I needed an entire box of tissues. I've stuck to Action/Adventure type of stuff ever since.

Perhaps it's better that they are encased in plastic just in case I win one.

If the story is accurate, we will all need a box of Kleenex. The surviving brother keeps his promise to the one who never came home

1 hour ago, Comcav said:

Wonderful story indeed and extremely inspiring. I hope the family can find some further solace in the fact that these books will continue to provide for his family for generations yet to come.