• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, buttock said:

This concept of "I'm a true collector and you're not" really needs to die a sad whimpering death.  Just because someone doesn't collect exactly the same way you did doesn't mean they're not a "true collector".  I'd love to hear anyone give me a definition of what a "true collector" is.  The only people I really hear using this are people who had the good fortune to buy comics back when they were cheap and now gripe about others paying current market value.  I see new collectors coming in with vigor and excitement to learn about the hobby and grumpy old men person_without_enough_empathying and taking a dump on their enthusiasm and choices.  If that's what it takes to be a "true collector" then count me out.  I'll be over in the corner enjoying my comics and hobby.  

what a wonderful post.   cyber-toast to you, dan.

6 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

The story only scratched the surface...so many details left out...

Agreed. The family's request for anonymity will hopefully be respected. :wishluck: But to hear about how the books were stored (between newspapers?), whether the 5K books were all bought prior to Junie's death, or did his brother continue assembling books from the decade of the 40s? Looking forward to hearing more details.

12 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Can’t wait to see at least a few of the books up close. Incredibly inspiring as a comic book collector/seller to know that “they’re still out there”.  Incidentally, I just looked up in my attic … nothing. 

Has anyone here seen them in person yet?  The new light-table scans from Heritage make them pop but I'd be interested if it accurately reflects the way they look in hand.

14 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Can’t wait to see at least a few of the books up close. Incredibly inspiring as a comic book collector/seller to know that “they’re still out there”.  Incidentally, I just looked up in my attic … nothing. 

Sounds like a thread for Comics General...pictures of your empty attic and basement, followed by many react_sad.png responses.

3 minutes ago, cheetah said:

Has anyone here seen them in person yet?  The new light-table scans from Heritage make them pop but I'd be interested if it accurately reflects the way they look in hand.

Hopefully since they went to HA first, they had the forethought to take pictures before sending to CGC. Although I suspect with the potential damage done before slabbing, we'll never see the before pics.

1 hour ago, EastEnd1 said:

What a fantastic find... and a truly moving story behind it.  To me, this discovery (not the collection itself) rivals Church.  For all it's vastness and amazing condition, the Church books, at the end of the day, were found only 25-35 after publication (that's like something being discovered from 1990 in today's terms).  One would think that with 250 million people in the country, there would be someone that hadn't gotten around to throwing out all their comics yet in that short period!  But to have this situation... 70-80 years removed... boxed up in an attic for all those years without seeming damage from heat, cold, leaks, rodents, and yes any human intervention.. what are the odds?  Makes me wonder what else is still hidden out there!  Despite some reservations, this discovery is going to be great for the hobby.    

I will second that...95%  of 5000 GA books at top grade...mind blowing

47 minutes ago, BuscemasAvengers said:

Agreed. The family's request for anonymity will hopefully be respected. :wishluck: But to hear about how the books were stored (between newspapers?), whether the 5K books were all bought prior to Junie's death, or did his brother continue assembling books from the decade of the 40s? Looking forward to hearing more details.

Both boys went to the Korean War so presumably he was collecting right up to the time he left.  The article does not mention date wise (or I missed it) what was the earliest book was and what was the final book. Do we even know that?

It would be cool to know where the collection was assembled; where the books were bought; what titles interested the purchaser and why; how was the collection funded - $500 was a lot of bread back then; etc

1 hour ago, BuscemasAvengers said:

They gave up too much information to keep their anonymity.  

1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:

I think that your statement of opinion  on what you define as a" true comic book collector" can be challenged. My definition does limit to "old school: collectors who were at the dinosaur age of comic book collecting. That is NOT my definition. A "true comic book collector" can come on board any time, any place. My definition is simple...a comic book collector who buys the GA/SA comic book FOR the book itself. The art, cover, ownership with a purpose. The non -true  comic book collector in my book is not any part of a true comic book  collector at all. They are buying widgets whether it is Gold futures or Lumber. They can care less about fandom, about the art and true beauty of a comic book. There sole purpose is to buy low and sell high and never look back. There needs to be a dividing line in our great Ga/Sa comic book world to differentiate between the two in my opinion. My definition is "True comic book collector"  is those who have a emotional connection to our great GA/SA world...Man Women, Child some  human connection other than greed itself. The speculators have none and are devoid of any emotional connection. I am a true comic book collector and I love Ga/SA and every aspect of our world, whether its 50 plus years for me, or 50 minutes for you...we are all on the same page.

Your post itself does what you dislike the most. It categorizes old (Grumpy) vs new collectors and it is just not that simple. In the fact the answer is very simple...it is where your heart lies in the GA/SA comic book world that really counts.

Thanks Mitch. You hit the nail square on the head...

Just now, Funnybooks said:

If they wanted to be anonymous, there would be much less story attached to the collection?

If they wanted to ensure their anonymity, there would be no story.  The story they have told likely gives up too much information for the family to stay anonymous.