• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Well, CGC is raising prices for their services, and...
14 14

553 posts in this topic

The way I figure or has been explained to me

prices go up 4/28

but the still good old memberships with %off will then be the %off the New pricing period

but as long as the sub form is printed before 4/28 and shipped with a "delivery date" of before 5/28, then you'll qualify for old tier pricing as well as old membership benefits :) 

@Westy Steve

Yeah...great...maybe if people didn't send in 200 books, that came out last week, to get graded...this chit wouldn't be happening.

It's us that got greedy and swamped this little company with worthless books just to try and make a few bucks on Ebay

Then we complain about TAT?

Then we complain when they raise prices?

lol

Wont surprise me when Marvel starts shipping new releases directly to CGC.

I mean, when you pick up a new release at the shop, you're always under the impression it's a 9.8.

How long is Marvel or the other comic/card companies gonna stand around and watch these potential new profits go to little guys on the net.

Chit...maybe we will soon see the MGC...Marvel Grading Company.

What I would do if I'm CGC is split into two services. Keep what they have now for books that are at least 5 years old. Start a new slab only service for books that came out in the past 5 years.

In other words, refuse to grade books until theyre 5 years old but offer to slab them at a reduced price.

This way they can dramatically improve TATs for everyone involved and you can still get your Negan Lives #1 into a nice shiny CGC case with everything but a grade.

You can have it graded for a reduced price in 2025.

Edited by lostboys
Misspelled word

They use efficiency experts? And pay them?  Where would one find someone with experience in speeding up the handling and grading of comics etc?  CBCS? PGX? After 20 years of doing what practically nobody else does, isn’t CGC the efficiency expert with the experience they are looking for? Seems to me the TAT problems stem from running a small team for profitability for years, plus a high level of specific skills needed to grade comics, and the time each requires, working within an un expandable office building, then running into a glut of demand.  Voila. Their business has moving parts and a workflow, but it’s not just another sneaker factory...

‘yes, dealers would be a great resource for some aspects.. havent they reached out to solicit ideas and opinions periodically? But there’s a difference between soliciting input and actually enacted the changes .... 

Edited by Aman619

2 hours ago, lostboys said:

Wont surprise me when Marvel starts shipping new releases directly to CGC.

I mean, when you pick up a new release at the shop, you're always under the impression it's a 9.8.

How long is Marvel or the other comic/card companies gonna stand around and watch these potential new profits go to little guys on the net.

Chit...maybe we will soon see the MGC...Marvel Grading Company.

What I would do if I'm CGC is split into two services. Keep what they have now for books that are at least 5 years old. Start a new slab only service for books that came out in the past 5 years.

In other words, refuse to grade books until theyre 5 years old but offer to slab them at a reduced price.

This way they can dramatically improve TATs for everyone involved and you can still get your Negan Lives #1 into a nice shiny CGC case with everything but a grade.

You can have it graded for a reduced price in 2025.

Marvel Grading Company: custom labels for all heroes and villains like the stuff we’ve never seen, celebrity signings, probably higher wages for graders ( or maybe not), TAT would be better( or maybe not), especially if they’re only grading Marvel books, less of a fight to get a first person notation and a cash flow from a company worth 200 billion and backed by a legion of MCU fanboys. Disney Vs CCG, hmmmm I wonder who would win that fight? 

1 hour ago, LoST Ups said:

:news: No! There was just a misunderstanding -   the LTPC is back on! :news:

Pretty sure @kav would be excited. Although the gatekeeper has already officially announced the retirement.  (shrug)

28 minutes ago, LoST Ups said:

It's been officially un-retired. There's a new gatekeeper in town (so Buzz doesn't get banned from here) and his name's Reggie Hammond!

Since you were confused at my reply to this.. 20210424_163301.jpg.6170463dd0592a7962b2ecebfd80b2a6.jpg

:gossip:

20210424_163218.jpg.f2a3d5c70bf80c6cdd06e923cb955f9f.jpg

9 hours ago, Nazirite said:

Marvel Grading Company: custom labels for all heroes and villains like the stuff we’ve never seen, celebrity signings, probably higher wages for graders ( or maybe not), TAT would be better( or maybe not), especially if they’re only grading Marvel books, less of a fight to get a first person notation and a cash flow from a company worth 200 billion and backed by a legion of MCU fanboys. Disney Vs CCG, hmmmm I wonder who would win that fight? 

If Marvel gets in the grading game, it won't be long before we have variant slabs.

Just curious how you all box up large submissions. I usually do lots of 10 but was thinking I should send in 25 or more at one time.  Do you use multiple boxes or 1 large priority box?  Or is the CGC box you pay for the best way?

I had been planning on submitting my well read, complete Hulk 181 for grading before the fee change annoucement, and my LCS thought it would benefit from pressing. So I planned on sending to CCS first for pressing then have it graded by CGC. If I understand correctly, with their new timetable on changes I can join before the 28th and benefit from the current fees as long as I submit the comic by May 28th. My question is, if I fill out the submission form and get the book in stat to CCS, will they pass it on to CGC or just send it back to me? In which case if I would have to send it back to CGC my question is will it they look at my submission as a package of services and  "count it" as being submitted by the May 28th deadine for current pricing structures or will I be rushing for nothing?

Bottom line, should I pay for the premium membership before April 28th to get the $150 credit and retain the 10% tiered credit for this walk through comic? As it is I will have to rush this book through to get it there in time, and I have other ones that I will end up submitting later, paying more for shipping on additional submissions. 

Sorry if I made this overly complicated, but I am confused myself and looking at what to do with this key book. Thanks

1 hour ago, Hownow53 said:

I had been planning on submitting my well read, complete Hulk 181 for grading before the fee change annoucement, and my LCS thought it would benefit from pressing. So I planned on sending to CCS first for pressing then have it graded by CGC. If I understand correctly, with their new timetable on changes I can join before the 28th and benefit from the current fees as long as I submit the comic by May 28th. My question is, if I fill out the submission form and get the book in stat to CCS, will they pass it on to CGC or just send it back to me? In which case if I would have to send it back to CGC my question is will it they look at my submission as a package of services and  "count it" as being submitted by the May 28th deadine for current pricing structures or will I be rushing for nothing?

Bottom line, should I pay for the premium membership before April 28th to get the $150 credit and retain the 10% tiered credit for this walk through comic? As it is I will have to rush this book through to get it there in time, and I have other ones that I will end up submitting later, paying more for shipping on additional submissions. 

Sorry if I made this overly complicated, but I am confused myself and looking at what to do with this key book. Thanks

Pay for premium membership

Get the form filled out before April 28, get the book there by May 28

Send it to cgc as a submission for pressing and grading at whatever tier 

After ccs presses It it'll go straight to cgc from them not be sent to you until after cgc slabs it