• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Silver said:

I question that sale on Clink…there were multiple 9.6’s available on well known websites at half the price. No one that drops 7K on a comic is that uninformed (I think :shy:)

If this is your line of thinking, then there are many, many uninformed comics buyers on Clink, 'cause books continue to sell there at record prices!

5 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

If this is your line of thinking, then there are many, many uninformed comics buyers on Clink, 'cause books continue to sell there at record prices!

My point is what comic buyer that would spend 7K on a book would not know that same book can be had on eBay for half as much? We’re not talking about a $200 book while one was on eBay for $100, were talking 7K. 

Another  2c...while I own many of the "key gems" of yesteryear in 9.8 W, and knew that they would appreciate with time, I was still gobsmacked at the sudden hike. :whatthe:

It must be new money. For example, the rush on ASM#300 is both illogical and foolhardy. (shrug)

That said, if people want to do this, so be it.

Just waiting for the right time to list all those rare signed 9.8 W Moon Knight variants...:whistle:

9 minutes ago, World Devourer said:

Another  2c...while I own many of the "key gems" of yesteryear in 9.8 W, and knew that they would appreciate with time, I was still gobsmacked at the sudden hike. :whatthe:

It must be new money. For example, the rush on ASM#300 is both illogical and foolhardy. (shrug)

That said, if people want to do this, so be it.

Just waiting for the right time to list all those rare signed 9.8 W Moon Knight variants...:whistle:

Or......Were a lot of books in this hobby grossly undervalued. :news:

42 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Or......Were a lot of books in this hobby grossly undervalued. :news:

Yes, some were.

Obvious candidates were IH 180 & 182.

ASM #300, not so much. Not with that many 9.8 W copies available.

I believe some are justifiable market corrections, and others are mass impulse buys.

Bear and Bull, if you will.  :preach:

On 4/26/2021 at 3:51 PM, Dr. Dank said:

Everything is hitting stupid numbers

For me, it's at the point of

Is this a peak and crash situation? 

Or

Is this an influx of new collectors 

All my purchases now, besides what I normally collect, are based on getting books I've always wanted now at inflated prices and picking the ones that I feel will never come down again (hence my xmen 12 pickup)

I think the pandemic caused an influx of new collectors, or people with deep wallets willing to spend more.  Another factor is no comic conventions for the past year.  You also have to factor in people using their tax returns to spend more on comics.  Buying comics is quite addicting!

I don't think this is a peak and crash situation.  A comic market crash would only happen if the economy suffers a major blow like the housing crash in 2008.  Or if all the movie studios decided to suddenly stop making comic based movies.  - Even then, most rich people will still stay rich, and those people will still compete with each other for big keys...

The parts of this market right now that confuse me the most is why some books and not others. Look at how much New Mutants #98 has shot up and then look at Deadpool's second appearance price. There are way less X-Force #2 CGC copies and the comic itself raw can still be picked up for a couple of bucks easily. If the New Mutants 98 is shooting up from diehard Deadpool fans willing to pay large stacks for his first appearance then why hasn't XF#2 gone up hardly at all? Hell I can pick up a copy of it cheaper than pretty much any current store exclusive variant on their release day. (:

21 minutes ago, TheOldCollector said:

The parts of this market right now that confuse me the most is why some books and not others.

Well, that's rather simple as this current craze that's taking place with the readily available books are on only key issues and first appearances and not much else after that, esecially in terms of your run of the mill mid run issues.  :(

Perfect case in point being this readily available ASM 129 with multiple HG copies showing up in every single auction, and yet this highest graded copy here was still able to garnered an astoiunding and astronomical  $55,111 for the lucky CL consignor here:  :banana:  :whee:

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Damazing%2Bspider-man%2B129%26GO%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1476185&id=1476185&itemType=0#detail

00009352398138111042675002.jpg

Edited by lou_fine

15 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, that's rather simple as this current craze that's taking place with the readily available books are on only key issues and first appearances and not much else after that, esecially in terms of your run of the mill mid run issues.  :(

Perfect case in point being this readily available ASM 129 with multiple HG copies showing up in every single auction, and yet this highest graded copy here was still able to garnered an astoiunding and astronomical  $55,111 for the lucky CL consignor here:  :banana:  :whee:

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Damazing%2Bspider-man%2B129%26GO%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1476185&id=1476185&itemType=0#detail

00009352398138111042675002.jpg

That’s a pretty sweet copy though...:cloud9:

1 hour ago, Darkseid of the Moon said:

I completely agree with You.  Every X-Men key issue has literally doubled in price since the middle of April!

I mean this constructively, but honestly, shouldn’t have you secured this stuff 2-3 years ago?  The stuff I am buying now is an easy buy, because I’m not competing with anyone for it, which leaves more money to compete for stuff that is always on a want list. For example: Kraven stuff. You should already have the Zeck series secured, those are 4-figure books in a year.

You are speaking in hindsight.  I agree that we all should have secured these books with Disney's acquisition of Fox IP.  But you also have to consider a lot of people could not have afforded them even at those low prices 4 years ago.  I myself was deep in credit debt 4 years ago.  Maxed to the limit by spending on comics...  But now that I have money, I figured it's never to late to get in on the ride, since we all know these books will keep going up...

11 minutes ago, bluehorseshoe said:

I mean this constructively, but honestly, shouldn’t have you secured this stuff 2-3 years ago?  The stuff I am buying now is an easy buy, because I’m not competing with anyone for it, which leaves more money to compete for stuff that is always on a want list. For example: Kraven stuff. You should already have the Zeck series secured, those are 4-figure books in a year.

Unfortunately, we can't buy everything although many of us would if we had unlimited capital.  Personally, once I saw prices shooting up exponentially, I bailed out on many of my want list items and changed direction, working on other books that aren't currently being eyed by hundreds of others.  The strategy has worked out pretty well thus far.  Still, going forward, I probably will try to obtain some of those want list items via cash/trade deals rather than bidding on auction books.

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, that's rather simple as this current craze that's taking place with the readily available books are on only key issues and first appearances and not much else after that, esecially in terms of your run of the mill mid run issues.  

To further my point. Look at Miles Morales's 2nd appearance since this craze hit. 2019 9.8 avg was $110 the the 90-day avg for it right now is $1,374 with the last sell at $2,400. Deadpool's 2nd appearance 9.8 avg $53 in 2019 and it's 90 day today at $113. If it's going off of speculation both characters are popular both have multiple comics series but one has 2 live action movies with a 3rd coming soon and the other has a cgi/animated movie LOL. That's why I say this market doesn't make sense whatsoever.  (:

9 hours ago, World Devourer said:

Yes, some were.

I believe some are justifiable market corrections, and others are mass impulse buys.

ASM 300 I know it seems crazy for me to say is justified. :ohnoez:

Book is asked about a million times per each major comic con.  

Books I am selling now are all books I am excited to cash in on during this hot market before the market cools down, however all my raw Hulk 181's and ASM 300's, they are staying hidden away.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

7 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:
10 hours ago, World Devourer said:

Yes, some were.

ASM 300 I know it seems crazy for me to say is justified. :ohnoez:

Book is asked about a million times per each major comic con.  

Books I am selling now are all books I am excited to cash in on during this hot market before the market cools down, however all my raw Hulk 181's and ASM 300's, they are staying hidden away.

Edited 3 minutes ago by NewWorldOrder

I was thinking about these posts today. When ultimate fallout 4 1st miles Morales spider-man a modern in 9.8 is selling for $2,000+, it also makes me consider the ASM 300 in 9.8 to be justified :)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM