• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,938 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, the blob said:

You're wrong, but that's ok. You're entitled to your [wrong] opinion. :flamed:

It's an opinion. Of course it's wrong

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Who were they pandering to exactly by the way?

The masses. They are creating storyline for mass appeal, not for a vested interest in the story itself.

It's been around for a long time, just seems extremely prevalent in these times. Too many polls and questionnaires dictate what goes up on the big screen. I'd like a story that was developed to tell the story, not sell tickets 

Just to answer the OP, for the GA books I look at, it got pretty damn crazy in a few places last year and early this year but I am seeing pre pandemic prices again now. Problem with GA is the amount of books is so little that I can't say if prices going up 300% was linked like with MARVEL SA or simply because 2 new collectors joined the market. But regardless, the crazy prices I saw are coming back to normal.

Quick example of something I was following, this GA book got a ridiculously high price during the pandemic for a low grade copy:

image.thumb.png.fb24636eca5e6538b25c762f032b6fa7.png

But just a few weeks ago, it dropped by 30% (granted, I was in a bidding war with someone and chose to stop, who knows how high it would have gone, but that means there was at least 1 less bidder than last time) 

image.thumb.png.cd542deaac8f524cd6a3b69fd6e40169.png

3 hours ago, InfantTerrible said:

OUCH!!!!.. for those who paid 12K+

If I had paid 12K and wouldn't be worried at all for the lower sales that just came in unless I was planning on flipping it right away.  I have NO DOUBT H181 over the "long run" will continue to rise in value and will leave the 12k price in the dust.
I plan on selling some of my books and try to buy a 9.4 copy before prices zoom up again in the not to distance future.  
Of course if something serious happens to the stock market,  another World crisis like Covid, World War..etc.. then we've got a lot more to worry about then just our funny books. 

5 hours ago, Dr. Dank said:

The masses. They are creating storyline for mass appeal, not for a vested interest in the story itself.

It's been around for a long time, just seems extremely prevalent in these times. Too many polls and questionnaires dictate what goes up on the big screen. I'd like a story that was developed to tell the story, not sell tickets 

Your favorite movie just got a sequel lol.

I bought a JIM 83 in early May after trying to find one for months. I gave in and I at least think I overpaid for a 1.8 but it's hard to say because that book isn't selling enough for GPA to be helpful. But I certainly hope the bubble didn't burst and make my possible slight overpayment into a big one. 

Long term, obviously Jim 83 will keep going up. That goes without saying, even though I just said it. So it also goes with saying. But still I would be bothered deep in my soul if it started to drop off at all right after I bought one 😬

55 minutes ago, serling1978 said:

I bought a JIM 83 in early May after trying to find one for months. I gave in and I at least think I overpaid for a 1.8 but it's hard to say because that book isn't selling enough for GPA to be helpful. But I certainly hope the bubble didn't burst and make my possible slight overpayment into a big one. 

Long term, obviously Jim 83 will keep going up. That goes without saying, even though I just said it. So it also goes with saying. But still I would be bothered deep in my soul if it started to drop off at all right after I bought one 😬

Honestly, I don't think you should worry a bit unless you were actively planning to resell it as soon as you could. You got a key issue and it's only and only going to increase in value forever; so the longer you hold onto it? The better it is. Don't over-worry or stress my friend- you got a great addition for any collection.

If the market is down nobody informed the bidders tonight. 9 books I would have paid fmv or slightly higher went for double that price. Few others 50 percent. In 3 nights I haven't spotted a deal. I did see a book I was monitoring go from 200 to  almost 300 now back to under 250 so there is one sign of a decline lol. Tons of deals out there long as you aren't looking for anything semi popular.

20 hours ago, Nazirite said:

Your favorite movie just got a sequel lol.

It is going to be hard for the sequel not to be a bit disappointing even if it is really good. i'm saying it here, but dr. strange needs to do some experiments on him at arkham that jolt his IQ or something, because I do agree, a barely literate guy can't be the joker, nor can this version make Harley fall in love with him. Gotham at least had a genius become the joker.

A nice chart comparison here and a much better reflection of the real comic book marketplace out there as it focuses in on the much more realistic CGC 6.0, CGC 8.5, and tops out at CGC 9.4.  :applause:

Especially when you compared this to all of the other dreamers out there who talks only about CGC 9.8 graded copies of books, as though that's the condition level that is much more reflective of the marketplace out there.  doh!

6 minutes ago, Silver said:

I question that sale on Clink…there were multiple 9.6’s available on well known websites at half the price. No one that drops 7K on a comic is that uninformed (I think :shy:)

At this point, with all this new money coming in, I can certainly see this happening.  How many newbies with tons of money as the result of the crypto/gamestop/robinhood bonanza are really out there, just trying to buy every key as quickly as they can?  I have no idea but wouldn't be surprised if it was more than a handful.

1 hour ago, Vince G said:

At this point, with all this new money coming in, I can certainly see this happening.  How many newbies with tons of money as the result of the crypto/gamestop/robinhood bonanza are really out there, just trying to buy every key as quickly as they can?  I have no idea but wouldn't be surprised if it was more than a handful.

Agreed.

73K for Journey Into Mystery Annual #1 (1st Hercules) in 9.8 W.

For those in the know utterly ridiculous and also ignorant, as it has put a moderately interesting item out of most everyone's reach - at least until the nouveau riche types try to resell unsuccessfully :juggle:    and the price slowly drops.  -_-