• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,935 posts in this topic

On 5/29/2021 at 10:04 PM, Silver said:

My point is what comic buyer that would spend 7K on a book would not know that same book can be had on eBay for half as much? We’re not talking about a $200 book while one was on eBay for $100, were talking 7K. 

I have seen multiple books sitting on eBay at lower prices only to have Comiclink prices go through the roof. I can't explain it but it happens.

And that doesn't mean the Comiclink sales are not real. I would bet money that the majority of them are. Josh runs a pretty tight ship from my experience and takes his reputation very seriously.

Just now, VintageComics said:

I have seen multiple books sitting on eBay at lower prices only to have Comiclink prices go through the roof. I can't explain it but it happens.

And that doesn't mean the Comiclink sales are not real. I would bet money that the majority of them are. Josh runs a pretty tight ship from my experience and takes his reputation very seriously.

This exact point was addressed in a few other threads, where auction houses got better prices than the bay.   The uncertainty factor about spending big money one the bay still persists was the general consensus.   The trust and reputations of places like the Clink, Comicconnect, and HA does count for a lot.

Just now, Microchip said:

This exact point was addressed in a few other threads, where auction houses got better prices than the bay.   The uncertainty factor about spending big money one the bay still persists was the general consensus.   The trust and reputations of places like the Clink, Comicconnect, and HA does count for a lot.

It's also the silly lemming mentality. There are books that are sitting with slightly high BIN prices on eBay but nobody has the courage to pull the trigger.

But when bidding buyers seem to feel much more comfortable in raising the ceiling at auction and then what happens is the eBay copies either get bought up or repriced.

So it's probably a combination of things including credibility of sellers AND the courage to set the market.

Also, Dave is a dork.

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, that's rather simple as this current craze that's taking place with the readily available books are on only key issues and first appearances and not much else after that, esecially in terms of your run of the mill mid run issues.  :(

Perfect case in point being this readily available ASM 129 with multiple HG copies showing up in every single auction, and yet this highest graded copy here was still able to garnered an astoiunding and astronomical  $55,111 for the lucky CL consignor here:  :banana:  :whee:

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Damazing%2Bspider-man%2B129%26GO%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1476185&id=1476185&itemType=0#detail

00009352398138111042675002.jpg

Thats a heck of a result alright!   (stunning book mind you)

Make those paying attention standup, what did you pay for the book, and in which year?     My guess is there's a zero missing, and a bit more! (thumbsu

2 minutes ago, Microchip said:

My guess is there's a zero missing, and a bit more! 

I can confirm that's a real sale. I know the buyer.

1 minute ago, VintageComics said:

It's also the silly lemming mentality. There are books that are sitting with slightly high BIN prices on eBay but nobody has the courage to pull the trigger.

But when bidding buyers seem to feel much more comfortable in raising the ceiling at auction and then what happens is the eBay copies either get bought up or repriced.

So it's probably a combination of things including credibility of sellers AND the courage to set the market.

Also, Dave is a dork.

But also the auction factor comes into it, putting a time parameter on things, really gets peoples buying juices moving.   Josh moved to include the auction format after a long while of watching HA pull out great results, one after another.

If an item times out on the bay, you know it's likely just to be re-listed.

1 minute ago, VintageComics said:

I was meaning what Lou paid for it, way back when.  I've no doubt about the current sale, I'd be very happy to of picked that book up.

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Perfect case in point being this readily available ASM 129 with multiple HG copies showing up in every single auction, and yet this highest graded copy here was still able to garnered an astoiunding and astronomical  $55,111 for the lucky CL consignor here:  :banana:  :whee:

37 minutes ago, Microchip said:

Thats a heck of a result alright!   (stunning book mind you)

Make those paying attention standup, what did you pay for the book, and in which year?     My guess is there's a zero missing, and a bit more! (thumbsu

33 minutes ago, Microchip said:
35 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I was meaning what Lou paid for it, way back when.  I've no doubt about the current sale, I'd be very happy to of picked that book up.

Sad to say, but that's definitely not my copy there that sold for some $55K and change.  :(

I do have a copy of Spidey 129 though and I guess I must have picked it up either in the late 70's or very early 80's for multiples of cover price, at something like $1.50 or thereabouts I would suspect.  Most likely even before it was broken out in the Overstreet Guide at the time.  (thumbsu

I remember the go to Spidey books to get back in the mid 70's were the pair of Spidey 121 and 122 as both of those were going for a pretty good price long before anybody even got interested in Spidey 129.  I am quite sure I must have paid a bit more money for the Spidey 121 and 122 (i.e. probably $2 or $3 each) as I probably brought those back in the mid-70's before they really took off.  Yeah, pretty much the only Spidey books I have in the entire 100 series along with if I remember correctly issues #100, #101, #135, #161, & #162 as I certainly didn't want to waste big money chasing down Spidey books at the time.   doh!

Was scrolling through the HA Sunday auction llistings earlier and was wondering if anybody can explain why this book is priced so high:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/fantastic-four-annual-6-marvel-1968-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122122-19296.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F1%2F5%2F1%2F24151823%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

When I saw it earlier today, the price was already at $1,100 which then made me go back to check the Overstreet Guide which had it listed for an insane $950 at top of guide.  Last that I remember, I thought this book was guiding at opnly something like $20 or $25 and now it's in the same league (price guide wise at least) as Batman 232, 251, Flash Annual 1, and even starting to approach the classic FF Annual #2 with the origin of Doctor Doom.  :screwy:

Looks like it finished up at an astronomical (at least to me) $1,800 and this is for only a CGC 8.5 graded copy, which then makes me wonder what a copy in say CGC 9.6 or CGC 9.8 would fetch in today's rather crazed marketplace, considering that there's over 180+ copies already slabbed in higher grade than this copy here?  :flipbait:

4 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Was scrolling through the HA Sunday auction llistings earlier and was wondering if anybody can explain why this book is priced so high:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/fantastic-four-annual-6-marvel-1968-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122122-19296.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F1%2F5%2F1%2F24151823%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

When I saw it earlier today, the price was already at $1,100 which then made me go back to check the Overstreet Guide which had it listed for an insane $950 at top of guide.  Last that I remember, I thought this book was guiding at opnly something like $20 or $25 and now it's in the same league (price guide wise at least) as Batman 232, 251, Flash Annual 1, and even starting to approach the classic FF Annual #2 with the origin of Doctor Doom.  :screwy:

Looks like it finished up at an astronomical (at least to me) $1,800 and this is for only a CGC 8.5 graded copy, which then makes me wonder what a copy in say CGC 9.6 or CGC 9.8 would fetch in today's rather crazed marketplace, considering that there's over 180+ copies already slabbed in higher grade than this copy here?  :flipbait:

Recent sales of $1400 to $1500 for this book in 8.5.  It's very hot.  9.0 is about $2200

6 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Recent sales of $1400 to $1500 for this book in 8.5.  It's very hot.  9.0 is about $2200

Why, as I don't believe the neighboring FF annual issues around it are going for anywhere close to that kind of money?  ???

And rather surprising for that copy there, because it would appear to be rather loosely graded with more wear than I would expect for a CGC 8.5 graded book.  (shrug)

Not that I am complaining about it in any way though.  :banana:

Edited by lou_fine

22 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Why, as I don't believe the neighboring FF annual issues around it are going for anywhere close to that kind of money?  ???

And rather surprising for that copy there, because it would appear to be rather loosely graded with more wear than I would expect for a CGC 8.5 graded book.  (shrug)

Annihilus spec has been going on for about a year on this issue I think. Seems weird because there's no way he appears in the first movie, and with any luck we won't see Franklin in the first movie either, so definitely overheated.

As far as prices in general, I'm seeing some mild leveling off on some 4 figure books. The next few months will tell if the lower grades also settle.

29 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Guess there's enough speculators out there who feel that Annihilus must make an appearance in the MCU at some point.  I suppose it makes sense.  After Doctor Doom, what FF villain would make the most sense?  Annihilation Wave would make an interesting story as you could combine the FF and GotG.  I suspect such a plot would be years and years down the road though as I feel like (read: hoping) they build towards an adaptation of Hickman's Secret Wars.

10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

So, it sounds like you guys are saying that I should make a gargantuan effort to search out my copy so that I can cash it out before it all comes crashing down and I end up losing all of my money on this eventual dog of a book here?  :p

I don’t think ‘dog’ is accurate.  Not easy to find the early annuals in high grade and this book does have 2 first appearances of characters who are relatively important.  I sent my copy in and got 9.2 :x

also annual #1 has jumped and is quite valuable and I’d imagine annual #2 has jumped

15 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

I don’t think ‘dog’ is accurate.  Not easy to find the early annuals in high grade and this book does have 2 first appearances of characters who are relatively important.  I sent my copy in and got 9.2 :x

also annual #1 has jumped and is quite valuable and I’d imagine annual #2 has jumped

Being the dummy that I was in my younger days, I never bothered to take any of the regular issues, but did take and kept some of the annuals as they came out figuring that since they were larger and had a higher denomination value, they would hopefully go up more in value one day.  Well, at least that's the way it worked in stamp collecting back then, but sadly worked the other way with comic books due to lack of continuity I would assume.  doh!

Would love to have a FF Annual 1 in my collection, but unfortunately did not get around to taking them until FF Annual 3.  The one that I clearly remembered reading back in the day was FF Annual 2 and was ecstatic when my comic broker friend tossed in a HG copy as a free bonus when I had purchased a couple of cheapo GA books from him near the end of the late 80's when SA Mavels were going absolutely nowhere.  :banana: