• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

On 8/15/2022 at 10:36 AM, Shrevvy said:

The first two months are increases. YTD, it is down ~8%.That's not terrible.

It’s better than the s and p has done. Just like any asset there will be market highs and lows- if it only just went up in a straight line it would be a bit bizarre. 

On 8/14/2022 at 4:38 PM, Troy Division said:

For real...
The drop in Sandman #1 'value' from announcement to teaser in 2021 to the release of the show in 2022 has been the opposite of a Marvel run up.

That is the typical pattern with most TV/Movie books. Be glad it is not the drop that Marvel Super-Heroes 13 took post Captain Marvel movie. That book went from a high of just over $12K in late 2018 to a low of around $4500 post movie in 2019.

On 8/15/2022 at 10:36 AM, Shrevvy said:

On 8/15/2022 at 11:07 AM, Gregd said:

It’s better than the s and p has done. Just like any asset there will be market highs and lows- if it only just went up in a straight line it would be a bit bizarre. 

Exactly.
These aren't investments so any price gain is wonderful.
That being said, majority of the books in my personal collection were purchased pre 2020 / 21 run up.

On 8/15/2022 at 12:49 PM, kimik said:

That is the typical pattern with most TV/Movie books. Be glad it is not the drop that Marvel Super-Heroes 13 took post Captain Marvel movie. That book went from a high of just over $12K in late 2018 to a low of around $4500 post movie in 2019.

True.
Just thought the upward trend would hold longer.
Especially with the positive reviews so far.
It's not like mine is leaving my collection nor will it ever fall below my purchase price.

On 8/15/2022 at 8:07 AM, Gregd said:
On 8/15/2022 at 7:36 AM, Shrevvy said:

Or some of those high flying big name speculative Nasdaq stocks which have dropped by anywhere from 60% to 80% down from their highs.  :tonofbricks:

Having a look back at the clink's prior auction results for another thread, it seems the heat in the market in the last two years is not an isolated event.  And even more so, the peaks we're seeing, aren't an isolated event.    

There has certainly been barrier's broken in the last two years, but prior periods of strong results  The last few years have definitely have had a broader impact across the hobby.     But looking back, there was a lot of strong activity through the early 2010's.    

Are we in a decade long cycle, where prices boom, then cool, and the net position (outside of break out books) is pretty much the same as the start of the decade?

image.thumb.png.819acd58449c7d8fcb4cff46cf61ae43.png

image.png.49c0eedbfac21a386837f7eff3427789.png

2011 1 of 3.

image.png.981110f725616df772d42ca8bf4b8b37.png

There's one in the current clink auction, and considering Spidey is 25% of the entire back issue market, this should be a good litmus test.

Edited by Microchip

Not sure since I don't really tend to follow the SA market, but would we consider some of those selected record breaking sales from the 2011 time period to be outliers, while the ones from this current 2021/22 time period to be part of the normal everyday auction results for these kind of books here?  hm  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/23/2022 at 7:28 AM, lou_fine said:

Not sure since I don't really tend to follow the SA market, but would we consider some of those selected record breaking sales from the 2011 time period to be outliers, while the ones from this current 2021/22 time period to be part of the normal everyday auction results for these kind of books here?  hm  (shrug)

I do remember some of the crazy prices paid at that time.   And the big prices were obviously on big books.   I remember thinking at the time, no one would see their money back on $18k for a 9.8 Iron Man #1 (clink).   Now the crazy peak of 2021 is $52k for a copy (back down to high $20k's for a copy).

My comments are more around the middle of the pack books.   The breakout books of 2020-2022 are fairly obvious, and they drive the market, and the imagination of collectors.   And if you've joined the hobby within the last five years, 2020-2022 looks stellar.   But when you saddle back to look at the bulk of the market in the middle tiers, we are no more ahead, than we were 10-12 years ago.   Hence for the bulk of the collecting market, it looks like there's a cycle in play.  

Two steps forward, two steps back, rinse, repeat.

Edited by Microchip

On 7/30/2022 at 4:36 AM, DC# said:

So not comic book related but very interesting.   The auction of a mint 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle rookie card is going to set a record (bidding is already tied with the prior record holder Honus Wagner at $6.6m and there is a month to go).   

The story behind the card is one of those fantasies most of us have about finding collectible treasures like the Mile High or Church collection.    Fun videos to watch.  

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1952-topps-mickey-mantle-311-sgc-mint-95-1985-rosen-find-finest-known-example-/a/50058-53014.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

1EC50D5B-2FEC-4D48-B40E-A307F79EF89E.thumb.jpeg.50bc819a8d880a6aeb1a1d3e783b9e71.jpeg

Just to close the loop on this collectible related topic - the Mickey Mantle set a new record yesterday at $12.6M.    Rare, high grade/quality items are in a market of their own….sometimes a market of one 

E8D9C5D1-2829-4508-9F83-310A0B7152E0.thumb.jpeg.d279e8c6b7b740189081f4bba62ccc9c.jpeg

Edited by DC#

On 8/28/2022 at 9:58 AM, DC# said:

Just to close the loop on this collectible related topic - the Mickey Mantle set a new record yesterday at $12.6M.    Rare, high grade/quality items are in a market of their own….sometimes a market of one 

E8D9C5D1-2829-4508-9F83-310A0B7152E0.thumb.jpeg.d279e8c6b7b740189081f4bba62ccc9c.jpeg

Well, a market of at least two or the bidding stops much sooner!

On 8/28/2022 at 9:34 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Well, a market of at least two or the bidding stops much sooner!

Hahahaha….very true.   I was referencing the market of available product in this case.    It’s not too dissimilar to the FF #25 9.6 and ASM #35 9.8 referenced earlier - so few of those books in those grades they create their own weather system…..

On 8/29/2022 at 2:51 AM, DC# said:

Hahahaha….very true.   I was referencing the market of available product in this case.    It’s not too dissimilar to the FF #25 9.6 and ASM #35 9.8 referenced earlier - so few of those books in those grades they create their own weather system…..

Agreed, but they set the tone for the whole hobby.  Big card collectors must be floored in a good way after the result of the Mantle card.

Looking at the hobby ("MCU") moving forward.   The merchandising numbers are looking good considering the hobby only got on the map in 2008.   If only a tiny fraction of all those kids with Spider-man, and Thanos action figures go looking for the origins of all of it, comic books will keep growing as a collectable, and investment hobby.

image.thumb.png.08198ea928f8d75a2bc5033bbec16ed6.png

On 8/21/2022 at 7:31 PM, Microchip said:

Having a look back at the clink's prior auction results for another thread, it seems the heat in the market in the last two years is not an isolated event.  And even more so, the peaks we're seeing, aren't an isolated event.    

There has certainly been barrier's broken in the last two years, but prior periods of strong results  The last few years have definitely have had a broader impact across the hobby.     But looking back, there was a lot of strong activity through the early 2010's.    

Are we in a decade long cycle, where prices boom, then cool, and the net position (outside of break out books) is pretty much the same as the start of the decade?

spidey 35 and ff25 are great books but not even semi-keys. it's not news that GA, SA and BA keys have all increased dramatically in value since the early 2010s. many non keys have also done well since then. super high grade SA books seem to be in a niche world all their own. only a tiny fraction of collectors need to have a spidey 35 in 9.8. i think a vast majority of collectors with 30k or more to spend would opt for an ff1, asm1, or other key book in whatever grade that money buys you.

On 8/14/2022 at 6:38 PM, Troy.Division said:

For real...
The drop in Sandman #1 'value' from announcement to teaser in 2021 to the release of the show in 2022 has been the opposite of a Marvel run up.

As I always say speculate on DC and you are more likley to be burned than with Marvel.

With its rather low CGC 9.8 population (for a 1989 Key) if Sandman was a Marvel property the condition sensitive Sandman 8 would have hit 4k or more at some point and would still probably command at least 3K   Alas it's DC...

Sandman #1 with it's high 9.8 Pop is in trouble. I feel the Netflix series could NOT have been more successful and it's still free-fallin' .  IMHO The essential  Vertigo #1 reprint with its low print run and low 9.6 and 9.8 population is more likley to hold onto its current FMV.   One sold last week in regular auction for $395 on eBay

Disclosure: I own all books mentioned in the post in CGC 9.8w - all were self submitted books I purchased as a kid.  I do not sell comics, nor have I ever so I really have little personal care about whether they lose or gain value..  However future me might if he plans to retire early

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/28/2022 at 5:28 PM, alexgross.com said:

spidey 35 and ff25 are great books but not even semi-keys. it's not news that GA, SA and BA keys have all increased dramatically in value since the early 2010s. many non keys have also done well since then. super high grade SA books seem to be in a niche world all their own. only a tiny fraction of collectors need to have a spidey 35 in 9.8. i think a vast majority of collectors with 30k or more to spend would opt for an ff1, asm1, or other key book in whatever grade that money buys you.

I tend to share this view.    I am not a big card collector but you observe the same thing as people are trying to complete sets in a PSA 10, etc.   From random baseball players to strange Marvel Universe cards - things with a super low pop count can command crazy high prices,    Some heavy card peeps will focus on submitting cards with low pop counts for grading just to try and take advantage of the prices being paid by those set collectors.   Not sure those sales have much of an impact on pricing for the popular, widely desired cards.     

On 8/29/2022 at 10:28 AM, alexgross.com said:

The point was around a #35, and #25 against a #35 and #25 between the two time periods.     It's about 2010 v 2022.  And they are semi key's, sought after, but I'm looking at them as high water marks that have the same amount of appeal to the market for both years.   Even if you can't afford them, you appreciate, and recognise the collectability of the books.   I can't afford a lot (a.k.a as all) of the top books, but I don't question where the market is for them.   

The mid-tier books, I was looking at this book, yes another SA example, that showed a very interesting history.   Admittedly, the Surfer books had strong prices from the get-go of slabbing.   Probably too strong in the early days.   But in terms of a 20 year price history, it's a great example.

Here's issue #6.   Not a key at all, relatively easy to find in all grades up to 9.6.   The run is a popular one, and always has been.

For the standard 9.6

image.thumb.png.a17dd49c9b6d5c6a74d952afe2eaf691.png

For 9.4

image.thumb.png.fe0ebe357b58bd35075922c39b616645.png

If you average those out over 20 years, we're looking at a flat line.   If you joined the hobby within the last 5 years (all that sports card, covid money), they look great!

On 8/28/2022 at 6:58 AM, DC# said:

Wow, what a price and it beat out expectations! :whatthe:  It's fascinating for me to think that there are I believe 3 PSA 10's of this card.  If this 9.5 is a $12 mil card, than the PSA 10's would have to be a min. $20 mil?  I believe one of the 3  was micro-trimmed by a well-known card doctor...  Investing in high profile cards such as this is a huge gamble due to the card grading companies certifying and grading micro-trimmed cards as if they were left untouched..