• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,172 posts in this topic

On 10/11/2022 at 5:44 PM, Poekaymon said:

What you're describing is what I was referring to with the "scrapbook."  You're making a memory of something you did--I'm fine with that.  Where it starts to make less sense to me is stuff like the aforementioned H181 and people who buy the stuff even though they had nothing to do with the signing, ie the memory.  So, yeah, you met Pee Wee Herman and he signed your napkin = sure; buying an H181 that someone else had Stan Lee sign = ???. 

Exactly! I have a signature from Berni Wrightson in my house somewhere, on a card he wrote me to apologize for being late on an assignment back when I worked as an art director at Universal Studios. I don't see how that signature could be worth anything to anyone else but it is a legit Wrightson signature and I like it because I was very inspired by Wrightson when I was a kid. On the other hand, I once had the opportunity to buy a few of Wrightson's Frankenstein illustrations for $1100 apiece, all signed. I was tempted but they weren't the strongest illustrations from the group, so I passed. Regardless, the art was interesting because of the drawings, not the signature. With or without the signatures, the quality of the art is the same.

There is another category of signatures, those with historical significance. For instance, a letter signed by Abraham Lincoln during the Civil War. No convention signature is remotely similar to that category. What would qualify, however, would be something like a handwritten letter between Gerry Conway and John Romita, wherein Conway mentions his idea for a Canadian character named Wolverine for an upcoming issue of Hulk. Ironically, a letter like that would be worth much less than signed copies of Hulk 181.

Artists like Kirby and Byrne have signed their original art to legitimize it for resale. Signatures on their comics, however, lose their meaning when comic book signings are mass-produced for high fees. I have some old Fantastic Fours by Jack Kirby that have newsstand date stamps on the covers. I much prefer those stamps, which place the comics on a newsstand at the time they were released, to signatures of Kirby and Lee, who could have signed them at any convention and may mar the cover in the process.

On 10/13/2022 at 9:34 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Last sale $138,000 in September 

When does the auction end? :popcorn:

Idk if it was posted in this thread, but more recently 2 different signature series 9.8s signed by Stan Lee only sold for $50,000 & $45000. Just for frame of reference. This is the first blue label I've seen posted in a while

On 10/13/2022 at 9:40 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Idk if it was posted in this thread, but more recently 2 different signature series 9.8s signed by Stan Lee only sold for $50,000 & $45000. Just for frame of reference. This is the first blue label I've seen posted in a while

Screenshot_20221013-214128_Samsung Internet.jpg

On 10/13/2022 at 10:42 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

On 10/13/2022 at 10:42 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Screenshot_20221013-214128_Samsung Internet.jpg

If only I had not thrown my copy away! :cry::wink::flipbait:

Of course, as I, hopefully, joke incessantly, by the time I decide to sell mine they will be selling for cover price.

On 10/13/2022 at 9:39 PM, Microchip said:

After less than 90mins, it's at $41k

image.thumb.png.6637245c9e0493e1730ea8690b2e110b.png

IH 181 CGC 9.8 SN.jpeg

The bronze age comics in the Suscha News collection have gorgeous preservation of cover colors and snow white cover stock and interior paper.  It wouldn't be surprising if this copy were to blow out prior records for this ish in this grade.

Edited by namisgr

I know we're all doom and gloom, but have you seen prices on low grade Hulk 1's lately?  I'm pretty much priced out of the market for this book.

I would also add that I'm not seeing any bargains for any  of the GA Classic Covers I'm aiming to add to my collection.

On 10/14/2022 at 12:07 PM, piper said:

I know we're all doom and gloom, but have you seen prices on low grade Hulk 1's lately?  I'm pretty much priced out of the market for this book.

I would also add that I'm not seeing any bargains for any  of the GA Classic Covers I'm aiming to add to my collection.

Sure Hulk 1 is fine but what about hulk 340? Its high pop bronze, copper, and modern taking the hits.  I dont believe anyone even alluded to hulk 1 type stuff tanking

@Ed Hanes
Whoever said comic books were recession proof, clearly were basing their words on their own opinions, and not actual market data. 

Partly why I truly hate comic book influencers. I didn’t care one way or another before, but this past year, I hate them. 

I do. I genuinely hate them. They pass misinformation, typically to hype their own collections. They give false expectations to legions of people that follow their words. They have no care whatsoever about the true enthusiast at all. 

Sounds like a religion! No wonder I hate them. 

Edited by D2