• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,427 posts in this topic

On 11/2/2022 at 11:21 PM, Microchip said:

Ouch, it looks like 40-50% fall across the board for the most part.

Hulk 181 in 9.8 bucking the trend, and even GSX-1 feeling some of the hurt in the uber grades.

:facepalm:

I’m not sure how people are coming to these conclusions based on incomplete data. 

A chart limited to sales of only key books is NOT an accurate representation of the current comic market. 

Are the majority of comics sold on a daily basis only keys? Absolutely not. 

On 11/2/2022 at 8:54 PM, DC# said:

Here are some ComicLink Oct/Nov Focused Auction Session 1 results.   As with the past few auctions - this is probably all I will recap this time.   These auctions just go on for sooooo long.   

This is a great compilation of a lot of recent sales data.  Thanks for putting it together and posting it.

Seems like the present is a better time to be a buyer than the recent past, and a worse time to be a seller.  I still collect only a single Bronze Age niche with fewer than 350 issues in total, but within that limitation I've been buying lately and intend to continue to do so.

On 11/3/2022 at 8:25 AM, djpinkpanther67 said:

I’m not sure how people are coming to these conclusions based on incomplete data. 

A chart limited to sales of only key books is NOT an accurate representation of the current comic market. 

I'd be interested to see a similar chart for more common books but I think it's a waste of time since the chart will still look the same - seas of red.  Keys are at least still selling but I'm seeing a market where common books are taking a big trim in price just to get a chance at a sale.  All the data I'm seeing is saying the same thing so count yourself as lucky if you are experiencing something different.

On 11/3/2022 at 5:25 AM, djpinkpanther67 said:

I think the distinction is probably that most books that saw a significant rise in the past several years are now seeing a decline.    May not be true for run filling issues of any title or at least of any note - not sure many would notice a $5 book rising to $8 as a trend.   Or even a $65 slab that is now $50.   As others have noted as well - there seem to be many DC keys that have sort of hung around at the same price level during this boom.   In the chart the Detective 405 seems to be an example - not much difference between now and the 2021 average 

Edited by DC#

On 11/3/2022 at 8:25 AM, djpinkpanther67 said:

Agreed. The % of price drop on non or very minor keys should be even more precipitous.  Low census pop run issue battles by registry collectors not withstanding.

Edited by MAR1979

It looks like the timing is right for me to buy that mid grade Avengers 1.  That said, there are a ton of other books (mostly GA Classic Covers) that I've been chasing that still seem to be increasing in price.  I've also given up hope of ever owning a Hulk 1.

On 11/2/2022 at 8:54 PM, DC# said:

Here are some ComicLink Oct/Nov Focused Auction Session 1 results.   As with the past few auctions - this is probably all I will recap this time.   These auctions just go on for sooooo long.   

1240026276_ScreenShot2022-11-02at5_46_50PM.thumb.png.01213f66b368ada2eceb39e6119821c7.png

1867420801_ScreenShot2022-11-02at5_47_18PM.thumb.png.95254e1c5335eb821a1750fd6c6826e2.png

1424110363_ScreenShot2022-11-02at5_47_38PM.thumb.png.f7255f19c9c2bb78898abaa7d1d9de9a.png

1828041843_ScreenShot2022-11-02at5_48_02PM.thumb.png.d2b45fb5aba7cae7133b0daf698d218d.png

818999610_ScreenShot2022-11-02at5_48_23PM.thumb.png.6dac33797054d3151434f7f4b08d6958.png

1894115694_ScreenShot2022-11-02at5_49_13PM.thumb.png.23c0e803417f8572ce372419dd7a964e.png

1311034716_ScreenShot2022-11-02at5_49_34PM.thumb.png.e2cc802bb6c411a912976cdbdb010d83.png

The Silver Surfer 3 (8.5) was mine. Not shown here was my Silver Surfer 2 (8.5) and my X-Men 10 (8.0). All seriously underperformed, and my moderns are doing even worse aside from one book that is weirdly overperforming (the Justice League Dark 9.8). But overall I sent in over 3 dozen books and it is a total bloodbath for me. Major regrets sending most of them. 

On 11/4/2022 at 12:35 AM, MAR1979 said:
On 11/3/2022 at 11:25 PM, djpinkpanther67 said:

Agreed. The % of price drop on non or very minor keys should be even more precipitous.  Low census pop run issue battles by registry collectors not withstanding.

Yup, a pointless task including non-key books.  They'll be under performing.  If books are performing particularly well, then by definition, they would have joined the key club.    There's no secret market of great performing books, non of us are aware of.

Edited by Microchip

I pretty much stick to 80's and 90's drek that tickles my nostalgic funny bone, so, you know, cheap stuff. I will say, at long last, I'm seeing more of that "crash", in that I'm suddenly winning books with my placeholder bids, when I was blown out on the same books in previous auctions. Nothing crazy, but I'm talking about books that were $400 a few months ago I'm now getting for $250, $100 books selling for $50-60, etc. Very sorry to the sellers, very happy for me. It's a crazy time. I maybe should stop buying the crud and get back to trying to buy REAL books, as I may actually be able to afford them again!

On 11/3/2022 at 4:36 PM, F For Fake said:

I pretty much stick to 80's and 90's drek that tickles my nostalgic funny bone, so, you know, cheap stuff. I will say, at long last, I'm seeing more of that "crash", in that I'm suddenly winning books with my placeholder bids, when I was blown out on the same books in previous auctions. Nothing crazy, but I'm talking about books that were $400 a few months ago I'm now getting for $250, $100 books selling for $50-60, etc. Very sorry to the sellers, very happy for me. It's a crazy time. I maybe should stop buying the crud and get back to trying to buy REAL books, as I may actually be able to afford them again!

Your definition of crud and mine are entirely different.  $250 books are far, far from crud. $1 drek is crud.  $50 books are keys!

On 11/3/2022 at 5:25 PM, 1Cool said:

Your definition of crud and mine are entirely different.  $250 books are far, far from crud. $1 drek is crud.  $50 books are keys!

Well, they’re not crud to me personally, as those are the waters I can afford to swim in. But compared to the major keys that this thread tends to track, it’s drekkier for sure ha. I’m a very small fish in the pond. Not even a pond, really!

I collect high grade BA House of Secrets. I haven't looked up sales history in GPA, but I can tell you I'm not finding any deals out there.   I've lost a bunch of auctions over the last few weeks. 

Besides 92, HOS didn't really take off to much with all the craziness. So prices seems to be flat to trending up (based solely on my failed auctions). 

On 11/4/2022 at 10:06 AM, KCOComics said:

I collect high grade BA House of Secrets. I haven't looked up sales history in GPA, but I can tell you I'm not finding any deals out there.   I've lost a bunch of auctions over the last few weeks. 

Besides 92, HOS didn't really take off to much with all the craziness. So prices seems to be flat to trending up (based solely on my failed auctions). 

There's been so few HG copies around lately, and they didn't join the FOMO frenzy of the last 2 years.  I'm not surprised they've held their ground so well.   DC as whole outside of the GA, has been a very difficult to pick lately. 

On 11/4/2022 at 12:45 PM, dikran said:

So now that movies seem to negatively impact comics (Sub-Mariner, Riri...) and all the sports card and crypto bros have cashed out, what is the next catalyst that will positively impact comics?

I'd say the stock market once again reasserting its upward trajectory when inflation/recession fears subside.

On 11/4/2022 at 12:45 PM, dikran said:

So now that movies seem to negatively impact comics (Sub-Mariner, Riri...) and all the sports card and crypto bros have cashed out, what is the next catalyst that will positively impact comics?

Trillions of free money being pumped into people’s pockets?

On 11/4/2022 at 2:44 PM, Nazirite said:

Not in Ohio, unless I missed the memo lol.

At least we have a nice warm winter to look forward to!

Edited by 1Cool