• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
42 42

7,798 posts in this topic

On 6/17/2024 at 4:30 PM, the blob said:

Whenever people say that to part time dealers in any of these hobbies you almost know the bubble is about to burst. I remember tales of white collar professionals in the early 90s (late 80s?) giving up their careers to sell baseball cards. I'm thinking that didn't work out well for many. I'm not saying it can't be done, but trying to replicate a six figure income via comics (or cards) seems to tough unless you have a huge amount of money to throw at big books where making a 10% profit is real money

Most people typically assume the market will stay on whatever trajectory it is on. So in a rapidly rising market it is easy to act as though the market will keep rising, and in a dropping market some will believe the sky is falling. Good sellers will see ups and downs as a part of a much larger picture and will both anticipate and adapt quickly to whatever new reality the market throws at us. 

On 6/18/2024 at 10:30 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Imminent. :smile:

Thanks - hate words that I have no clue how to spell but autocorrect gives me an option that sounds good in my head.  lol 

On 6/18/2024 at 10:33 AM, 1Cool said:

Thanks - hate words that I have no clue how to spell but autocorrect gives me an option that sounds good in my head.  lol 

Yes, auto correct is a "crappy bad bear."

On 6/18/2024 at 8:42 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

That is what the wife and I will be doing sooner rather than later, except we may rent the two houses in two different states or not; we have not decided. But, I for one, am looking forward to surf fishing every day for Striper, Blue Fish, halibut, flounder, etc., etc.

I used to fish. I wasn't obsessed, but I had a 21 foot boat and would go out and it would be relaxing. Long time ago. Was looking at rods the other day. 

On 6/18/2024 at 10:52 AM, Robot Man said:

Deluded fools. I can’t think of many (if any at all), who ever got “rich” selling comics or collectibles. Yeah, some have made a decent living if they worked very hard and were very smart. But getting “rich”? I guess we all have our opinion as to what “rich” is. There are WAY more folks that have lost their shirt. It is a very volitile business.

Doing it as a side business, to supplement your regular income has always been worthwhile. That is of course, if you work very hard and are very smart. So, don’t quit your day job…

Well, six figures isn't rich. I'm gonna assume dealers with high quality inventory, etc. do that. Dunno about dollar box sellers. 

On 6/18/2024 at 8:42 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

That is what the wife and I will be doing sooner rather than later, except we may rent the two houses in two different states or not; we have not decided. But, I for one, am looking forward to surf fishing every day for Striper, Blue Fish, halibut, flounder, etc., etc.

I like fly fishing, those surf fish get too big, plus the rod seems heavier. You must have good strength in the arms to do surf fishing. (thumbsu

On 6/18/2024 at 5:56 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

I like fly fishing, those surf fish get too big, plus the rod seems heavier. You must have good strength in the arms to do surf fishing. (thumbsu

I have been surf fishing since I was 10 years old, terrible at it then. :bigsmile: My father, two of my cousins and their fathers, my uncles, (edit) and I (end edit), would surf fish NJ, Long Island, and CT. It was great. We mostly practiced catch and release, keeping a few fish to eat.

I am uncertain how much arm strength is involved in surf fishing, but I can attest that reeling in a 50 pound Striper gives your back a workout. My surf fishing rods, including the 12' Penn and 15' Ugly Stick, are all relatively light, being made of graphite or carbon fiber.

I have never fly fished, but have seen many do so in FL for Bonefish and Tarpon. I use a spinning reel and rod to catch them, releasing them as I would do even if they could be eaten; Bonefish can be eaten, not Tarpon.

Edited by Tec-Tac-Toe
To add: "and I".

On 6/18/2024 at 5:47 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

7 figures or bust!

:fear:

I'm not looking down on it ($100k), depending on where you live that can be perfectly comfortable and very nice, particularly if you have a spouse also working (and even if you don't depending on where you live and when you bought your home) and don't have oppressive health insurance costs. Just not "rich." I am looking to retire in the next 5-8 years and I doubt I will be hitting six figures in retirement without a side hustle.

Edited by the blob

On 6/18/2024 at 5:46 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

Fishing and Golf are great hobbies to supplement comic books. 

That too. I inherited a really nice set of clubs that had been used 3 times by my friend's father before he developed bad Parkinson's and eventually died. My friend is a lefty, so they were useless for him. I was going to put them to use last summer but tore my achilles, so I have yet to use them. Hoping I can do the pivot on the swing on my semi healed foot. I know they won't make me good, but maybe they'll help a little.

On 6/18/2024 at 5:56 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

I have yet to see anyone catch an edible fish surf fishing where I go to the beach (Long Beach/Atlantic in LI), just little sharks and sea robins. They all claim they've caught flounders, sea bass, and blues, but I have yet to see evidence of it.

Working on ComicLink recap.    Might also try to take a look at some of Heritage signature results - but for the six figure books:

- The Tec #27 4.5 is well documented at this point to be down $500k (-40%) from a year ago

- Batman #1 4.0 was actually up $20k from 2022 sale (+9%)

- Captain America #1 5.0 was flat to 2022 at $180k

- Fantastic Four #1 8.5 was up $30k to $144k from June 2023.   But that June 2023 sale was also $100k off a March 2023 sale.

- Tales of Suspense #39 9.2 was flat to Jan 2023 sale at $106k-$108k

TMNT #1 9.8 actually didn't crack $100k.   Closed at $87k vs a Heritage sale in April 2024 of $126k.    This copy was OW/W...but gotta say I would take OW/W and pocket $40k if that choice was given to me.   The Whiz Comics #2 (#1) (their cover book for this auction) actually seemed a little soft too 

On 6/22/2024 at 10:17 AM, DC# said:

TMNT #1 9.8 actually didn't crack $100k.   Closed at $87k vs a Heritage sale in April 2024 of $126k.    This copy was OW/W...but gotta say I would take OW/W and pocket $40k if that choice was given to me.   

I'd pocket the $126,000 instead of taking either.

:50849494_winkemoji:

On 6/18/2024 at 9:10 AM, CGC Mike said:

I think when I retire, I am going to move to Florida and work for CGC.  :)

I would do that, but I've seen the job postings.  You guys don't get paid enough! :sumo:

On 6/22/2024 at 2:48 PM, Xenosmilus said:

...MTU have been getting record prices on Clink.

That's good to hear! I just put a few of those in my "Why did I ever buy this comic? I have no interest in the thing." long box.

xD