• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

On 1/24/2024 at 1:01 PM, 1Cool said:

I got a message from CGC Mike about the grading contest and my heart dropped thinking I had said something in this thread.  Never like to see a message from him lol 

Mike is pretty cool, runs a tight ship ... I didn't think anyone would ever fill Arch's shoes ....but along came Mike, putting the mod back in mod, since whenever. :cloud9: GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 1/23/2024 at 11:35 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Hahaha you're talking about one of the most notorious over-pricers on eBay.  That's just one example, everything he lists is priced like he's holding the book for ransom.  Not a pleasant guy to deal with, either.

The whole business model for some of these guys is to wait for that one person who's desperate and/or uninformed enough to do something crazy.

I always wonder if there's anything really wrong with this.  He even lets you negotiate down (duh).  Obviously the price is kind of stupid, but hey, if somebody out there comes back with "I can only do $2000" (lol), more power to him.  To save my own butt, I've never dealt with him, so I don't know what kind of seller/person he is. lol.

On 1/24/2024 at 9:36 PM, Telegan said:

I always wonder if there's anything really wrong with this.  He even lets you negotiate down (duh).  Obviously the price is kind of stupid, but hey, if somebody out there comes back with "I can only do $2000" (lol), more power to him.  To save my own butt, I've never dealt with him, so I don't know what kind of seller/person he is. lol.

There's nothing wrong with it, people can ask what they like for their books, but as you say " t's kind of stupid" what would be more stupid is someone saying I can only do $2000  when they could get one for $450. :insane:

On 1/24/2024 at 4:36 PM, Telegan said:

I have seen massively overpriced books, submitted offers way closer to FMV (probably still above, and definitely way below ask) and been able to work out deals with people.  I am extremely respectful and I never try to scold anyone or teach them lessons about how to not be delusional in your pricing.  And sometimes the results are mutually agreeable and it's a success.

Unfortunately, some sellers are stubborn.  Some of these stubborn people are at least friendly, so you walk away disappointed you couldn't get a deal done, but not too upset.  And some of these stubborn people are jerks.  I'll just leave it at that.

On 1/24/2024 at 12:22 PM, toro said:

Way below GPA l last night.  :tonofbricks:

image.thumb.png.3deec4d601fb36da3741644927e3107d.png

image.png.6bab6956033a91448a6da0467c6b0d68.png

Those books have been tanking, so .... new FMV! :D There were a couple of other grades of that issue that went well below FMV from what I recall.  It's getting to the point maybe I may grab a higher grade soon.  I thought I was getting a pretty good deal paying something like $110 for a 7.0 last summer... lol.

On 1/24/2024 at 11:33 PM, batmiesta said:

It's not all doom and gloom, impressive price for a book that doesn't show up in this grade often. 

MONSTERS ON THE PROWL #29, CGC 9.6 NM+, ONE OF THE TOP 4 GRADED OVERALL!
THE AUCTION HAS ENDED

Current Bid: $607
Number Of Bids: 13 history.gif

00209252396000114357956005_TH.jpg

There are 3 other copies out there so I'm wondering if this is just hard to find or is impossible to find ok to use?

On 1/25/2024 at 7:35 AM, CGC Mike said:
On 1/24/2024 at 12:01 PM, 1Cool said:

Never like to see a message from him lol 

:cry:

I usually enjoy them. They usually are just quotes of a post that I made followed by that meme of him and his dog that float around here. :hi:

On 1/25/2024 at 1:26 PM, 1Cool said:

There are 3 other copies out there so I'm wondering if this is just hard to find or is impossible to find ok to use?

I do keep an eye out for it and it is the first 9.6 I have seen for sale, so I would say hard to find in HG as is # 20.

On 1/24/2024 at 6:29 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I have seen massively overpriced books, submitted offers way closer to FMV (probably still above, and definitely way below ask) and been able to work out deals with people.  I am extremely respectful and I never try to scold anyone or teach them lessons about how to not be delusional in your pricing.  And sometimes the results are mutually agreeable and it's a success.

Unfortunately, some sellers are stubborn.  Some of these stubborn people are at least friendly, so you walk away disappointed you couldn't get a deal done, but not too upset.  And some of these stubborn people are jerks.  I'll just leave it at that.

Yeh, I think most of the E-bayers that put items up for ridiculous prices are using the site as a window in to their inventory, hoping to generate contacts that are interested in their items...and negotiating behind the scenes. I really don't think alot of them ever think they'll get close to their ask prices. 

NOW, I do think there are some that put market-based asks prices out there in mid-2020 to mid-2021 and they haven't market corrected their asking prices. Different story there though

On 1/24/2024 at 10:33 PM, batmiesta said:

It's not all doom and gloom, impressive price for a book that doesn't show up in this grade often. 

MONSTERS ON THE PROWL #29, CGC 9.6 NM+, ONE OF THE TOP 4 GRADED OVERALL!
THE AUCTION HAS ENDED

Current Bid: $607
Number Of Bids: 13 history.gif

00209252396000114357956005_TH.jpg

I don't follow these titles, so does anybody know what's up with this price?  It seems bonkers, at first, but I don't know.  There is some rarity, I guess, but of the 21 graded copies, it looks like 11 are 9.4 or higher (same for a some of the other issues I looked at from what I can tell) which makes me kind of nervous.

Did you see what the 9.8 #22 sold for?  Yowzers.

On 1/25/2024 at 7:09 PM, Telegan said:

I don't follow these titles, so does anybody know what's up with this price?  It seems bonkers, at first, but I don't know.  There is some rarity, I guess, but of the 21 graded copies, it looks like 11 are 9.4 or higher (same for a some of the other issues I looked at from what I can tell) which makes me kind of nervous.

I don't collect this particular title,  but I can tell you High Grade Bronze horror is getting annoyingly expensive!! 

I say annoyingly as someone trying to put together a High Grade BA  HOS run.  

A few years ago you could pick up most issues in 9.0 or better for under $100. Adam's and Wrightson covers generally commanded a premium. But now all issues seem to be a few hundred dollars and there is alot of competition for HG raw issues. 

On 1/24/2024 at 12:35 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Hahaha you're talking about one of the most notorious over-pricers on eBayThat's just one example, everything he lists is priced like he's holding the book for ransom.  Not a pleasant guy to deal with, either.

The whole business model for some of these guys is to wait for that one person who's desperate and/or uninformed enough to do something crazy.

All sure signs of a true deee bahg.  During the pandemic they fancied themselves genius' so they will simply wait for the next bubble. 'cept given the age, lifestyle and diet of most of those type sellers they ain't going to live long enough to see it...

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/26/2024 at 12:09 AM, Telegan said:

Yeah! The #22 went nut's. As for the price on the #29, I think it is purely because it rarely comes up for sale in 9.6 and 2 bidders really wanted it. 2c

I ended up with 11 books in the first part of the CL auction. I was hoping to use my last shipping slot on a GA book but the ones I was looking at shot up by hundreds at the end leading to pretty high pricing. Hard to find issues of Detective Comics are still pretty strong at auction, although there seemed to be a few filler books I was not interested in that went pretty low.