• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,491 posts in this topic

On 7/4/2024 at 7:18 PM, Westy Steve said:

Comics are more of a long term investment like Real Estate. Buy and hold…try not to sell unless the market is going bananas..ignore the month to month changes. Oh, and buy when everyone is selling. 

Many people sell when the market goes "bananas". So if you're telling people to buy when everyone is selling, people would be buying when prices are at their highest. Not sure that's the best advice. 

On 7/4/2024 at 9:58 PM, Motor City Rob said:

Many people sell when the market goes "bananas". So if you're telling people to buy when everyone is selling, people would be buying when prices are at their highest. Not sure that's the best advice. 

I think if everyone is selling, the assumption is that Demand is low and Supply is high, leading to lower prices.

But hey, I majored in Creative Writing. So take my armchair analysis with a grain of salt 

On 7/3/2024 at 7:50 PM, jimjum12 said:

I think the key is unregulated, comics are, at best, a kiddie market. Still heap big fun. Try getting a loan for that "million" dollar comic. It can be done, but real estate it ain't. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Actually, it can be real estate.  Back in the 80’s, a magazine called Comics Collector (A Krause publication- they published The Comics Buyers Guide), noted a transaction whereby a bank facilitated the exchange of a house for a few comic books.  I don’t recall which comics were included in the deal other than a very high grade of ‘Tec 28

On 7/5/2024 at 6:38 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Actually, it can be real estate.  Back in the 80’s, a magazine called Comics Collector (A Krause publication- they published The Comics Buyers Guide), noted a transaction whereby a bank facilitated the exchange of a house for a few comic books.  I don’t recall which comics were included in the deal other than a very high grade of ‘Tec 28

The exception and not the norm. Try it at your Credit Union, just for s***z and giggles. I'm betting they won't give enough for a Roto-Rooter. I'm not even sure it would flush with coins, unless Gold. GOD BLESS... 

jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 7/4/2024 at 4:18 PM, Westy Steve said:

Comics are more of a long term investment like Real Estate. Buy and hold…try not to sell unless the market is going bananas..ignore the month to month changes. Oh, and buy when everyone is selling. 

Exactly. Buy the right stuff at the right price and hang on to it. Resist the urge to flip quickly for a fast profit. Enjoy them. This was once a “hobby” not a stock exchange. The “market” always corrects.

I was luckily enough to be around in the early days. So many books and genres were undiscovered and thusly very affordable. When every one else was going right, I went left. I bought what I liked led and could afford. And I kept them. Worked out VERY well for me.

A LOT harder to do these days. Most everything has been discovered now. But still doable with an open mind. I even have a bit of a different focus of what to look for now and am seeing very positives results. I won’t give up what for obvious reasons. You really got to think, hunt and work hard at it.

Quit worrying about what Hulk 181 is going for. Books like that are toast. You will make something on it if you want but it will take time. The stuff I look for now is a bit more obscure now but has solid potential. 

On 7/5/2024 at 12:30 PM, Robot Man said:

Exactly. Buy the right stuff at the right price and hang on to it. Resist the urge to flip quickly for a fast profit. Enjoy them. This was once a “hobby” not a stock exchange. The “market” always corrects.

I was luckily enough to be around in the early days. So many books and genres were undiscovered and thusly very affordable. When every one else was going right, I went left. I bought what I liked led and could afford. And I kept them. Worked out VERY well for me.

A LOT harder to do these days. Most everything has been discovered now. But still doable with an open mind. I even have a bit of a different focus of what to look for now and am seeing very positives results. I won’t give up what for obvious reasons. You really got to think, hunt and work hard at it.

Quit worrying about what Hulk 181 is going for. Books like that are toast. You will make something on it if you want but it will take time. The stuff I look for now is a bit more obscure now but has solid potential. 

It worked out very well for those that held from the early days... and yes, especially if you were buying the more esoteric stuff.  Pre-code horror (other than ECs) could be had for a song.  Romance, including Matt Baker covers... dealers couldn't give them away.  Good girl art, other than a few choice covers... pretty much priced like surrounding issues.  I'm very glad my collecting habits grew more and more diverse the longer I was in the hobby. (thumbsu  

On 7/5/2024 at 3:35 PM, EastEnd1 said:

It worked out very well for those that held from the early days... and yes, especially if you were buying the more esoteric stuff.  Pre-code horror (other than ECs) could be had for a song.  Romance, including Matt Baker covers... dealers couldn't give them away.  Good girl art, other than a few choice covers... pretty much priced like surrounding issues.  I'm very glad my collecting habits grew more and more diverse the longer I was in the hobby. (thumbsu  

Indeed. I remember the earliest SDCCs. GA DC, Timely, ECs and Ducks were top of table under plastic. Pretty much everything else were unbagged in stacks. The real “junk”, (the stuff you mentioned), were in boxes under the tables priced at $1-3. I quickly learned what I wanted (mostly PCH), were in those boxes. Condition was rarely a factor either way.

I remember how hot Timely’s were then. I immediately discovered Schomburg but couldn’t afford them. A little education from older guys lead me to Nedors, and other publishers he worked for. I scooped them up in mass for years before most collectors realized them.

wonderful time to be a collector!

On 7/4/2024 at 10:58 PM, Motor City Rob said:

Theoretically, there is a buyer for every seller they always match. Obviously I am talking about heavy volume that occurs when prices are crashing.  That’s also the best time to buy real estate.

So a coke ad doesn't amount too much.

How about some raw numbers.

image.thumb.png.0ce5cd14433b2a834eebb9735c758b71.png

2 weeks = $10m in sales.

52 weeks = $260m in sales.  (excluding the Clink, conventions, and the bulk of the other forms out there.).   So conservatively we're looking at $500m market.

Edited by Microchip

On 7/6/2024 at 8:17 PM, Microchip said:

So a coke ad doesn't amount too much.

How about some raw numbers.

image.thumb.png.0ce5cd14433b2a834eebb9735c758b71.png

2 weeks = $10m in sales.

52 weeks = $260m in sales.  (excluding the Clink, conventions, and the bulk of the other forms out there.).   So conservatively we're looking at $500m market.

Where did you copy the data from? I'd be interested in seeing stat reports like that. How do I get to it?

On 7/6/2024 at 10:54 PM, Microchip said:

Yes. It's the same link I provided. Yours goes to the article, mine to the main page.  Both go to Collector Hub.

But I don't see that index that you just loaded anywhere on the site.  Maybe from your email message?