• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
42 42

7,795 posts in this topic

On 7/20/2024 at 11:17 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

It happens.

i felt the same way when I picked up Showcase 4.  I was underwhelmed.

Was it in astonishingly nice condition for a comic from 1956? I find delight in basically any pre-1964 or so comic that survives in such condition.

???

On 7/20/2024 at 11:16 AM, MAR1979 said:

Nothing special or unique or interesting in owning a book with such a huge population in that grade.  After all we have someone in this thread that when all is said and done will have 800 copies...

By 1988 when this comic was printed most buyers of Amazing Spider-Man treated their comics with care. And because it was the "Special 25th Anniversary Issue" and #300, quite a few collectors hoarded multiple copies. Meaning there could be more than one copy in existence for every Amazing Spider-Man collector out there in a condition that the man on the street would describe as "straight off the newsstand". So why the price insanity? I could understand it if it was a comic from 1955 with one 9.4 in the census and below that only an 8.0 so if you really want it "Well take it or leave it because you might never find another."

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat

On 7/20/2024 at 5:16 PM, MAR1979 said:

Nothing special or unique or interesting in owning a book with such a huge population in that grade.  After all we have someone in this thread that when all is said and done will have 800 copies...

Again at the risk of heresy - I am also not very fond of the Todd Father.    No question he could create some iconic cover/splash page heroic images for Spidey - but I find his standard panel work and non-masked character work to be average at best (sometimes just awful).  Will confess to having never even held a copy of Spawn so can’t speak to his later stuff.  

On 7/20/2024 at 12:27 PM, DC# said:

Again at the risk of heresy - I am also not very fond of the Todd Father.    No question he could create some iconic cover/splash page heroic images for Spidey - but I find his standard panel work and non-masked character work to be average at best (sometimes just awful).  Will confess to having never even held a copy of Spawn so can’t speak to his later stuff.  

I don’t know who is going after 800 copies, but kudos to them!

I will be content with ‘only’ 80 copies.

As for not liking the Todd-father’s art, I get it.  His artwork isn’t for everyone nor should it be.

personally, I dislike art by Kirby and Toth.  I’ve tried to understand their appeal for decades, but they just don’t click with me.

I like Alex Toth's hot rod cartoon art that he did for magazines such as Drag Cartoons:

Toth.jpg

But I don't much like most of the comic art he did in a more "serious" vane. In fact, when I first encountered it as an eleven year old in Brave and the Bold 53, I found it so "off" that it was unsettling:

Brave%2053_zpsqksmjrwb.jpg

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat

On 7/20/2024 at 7:30 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I don’t know who is going after 800 copies, but kudos to them!

I will be content with ‘only’ 80 copies.

As for not liking the Todd-father’s art, I get it.  His artwork isn’t for everyone nor should it be.

personally, I dislike art by Kirby and Toth.  I’ve tried to understand their appeal for decades, but they just don’t click with me.

Happy to be in the minority on McF - I need to sell this book at some point.   :) 

On 7/18/2024 at 4:48 PM, Stefan_W said:

Pre-Covid 9.8 copies were going for $1500-2400. Sadly, there is still room for it to fall a bit more before it levels out. 

On 7/18/2024 at 5:16 PM, wiparker824 said:

Oh I agree, in general I think that’s the case for all of the copper and modern keys that they will be the last to bottom out but we aren’t there yet. Of course I can’t predict the future but think the days of seeing things like this on copper keys:

Are never going to return… These were wild times we lived thru.

getting back to the $2100 heritage sale that derailed this thread - this video makes the case that the specific book may be a questionable 9.8.   

On 7/20/2024 at 2:53 PM, DC# said:

Happy to be in the minority on McF - I need to sell this book at some point.   :) 

getting back to the $2100 heritage sale that derailed this thread - this video makes the case that the specific book may be a questionable 9.8.   

Could be, but lots of books from that era with pillowy soft grading go for full, or closer to full, value. It could be a factor in the mix but I am skeptical that it is the whole story. 

:facepalm:

Edit: Granted, the 9.4 has a nicer wrap. Still, (shrug).

Current Bid: $2,600

The Amazing Spider-Man #129 (Marvel, 1974) CGC NM+ 9.6 Off-white to white pages....

lf?set=path%5B3%2F0%2F5%2F4%2F0%2F30540925%5D%2Csizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5Dlf?set=path%5B3%2F0%2F5%2F4%2F0%2F30540926%5D%2Csizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D
Current Bid:
$2,600 w/ Buyer's Premium (BP) : $3,120.00

Edited by Tec-Tac-Toe

On 7/18/2024 at 10:16 AM, wiparker824 said:

Oh I agree, in general I think that’s the case for all of the copper and modern keys that they will be the last to bottom out but we aren’t there yet. Of course I can’t predict the future but think the days of seeing things like this on copper keys:

IMG_3228.thumb.jpeg.6abb528f215420694e7fde1540f22ddf.jpeg

Are never going to return… These were wild times we lived thru.

You may be right, but I recall thinking (and often hearing) the exact same thing when the bubble burst in the 90's.

I think a good barometer for buying (if you dont want to lose value) ..is to buy at prices from December 2019 (maybe a little more, for slabbed, of course), using GPA as an indicator. Prices are still trending downwards to that late 2019 trendline. As far as raws I can only talk about MCS auctions. In 2023 and leading thru early 2024, it seemed there were lots of speculators buying raws at MCS, betting on getting a perfect copy. For those who dont know, MCS is known for undergrading (compared to CGC)...so some of the speculation for certain keys has been a little crazy over past 18 months. Buyers seem to be more prudent lately (over past several months) and final auction prices for keys have been reducing. I can only imagine the reasons for this. Just from my observations and by no means a scientific study 

Edited by Ed Hanes

With all the announcements on RDJ, and the Russo brothers coming back into the Marvel Studio's payroll for the two Avengers movies, Dr Doom books look to be the next big market busting 'key' books on everyone's want-lists.

On 7/30/2024 at 2:19 AM, Microchip said:

With all the announcements on RDJ, and the Russo brothers coming back into the Marvel Studio's payroll for the two Avengers movies, Dr Doom books look to be the next big market busting 'key' books on everyone's want-lists.

Wouldn't a lot of this have already been priced in as we anticipate the FF coming to the MCU?  Seems Doom and the Surfer have both seen plenty of attention over the past couple of years.

On 7/30/2024 at 2:23 AM, Microchip said:

image.png.6c2c0e05a73a43aa5c02fd7fa0bada2b.png

:censored:

The bad dream is still real.

image.png.1bf1908bc442e8881770dc55d79d558f.png

Huh?! First? I still clearly recall seeing a Fantastic Four movie back in 2005.

???

Edited by Hepcat

On 7/31/2024 at 12:17 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Wouldn't a lot of this have already been priced in as we anticipate the FF coming to the MCU?  Seems Doom and the Surfer have both seen plenty of attention over the past couple of years.

In the MCU, RDJ is at the top of totem pole, that changes things up a few notches.