• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USPS ruined a golden age gem
3 3

149 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

I've found that putting the book inside a padded iron cage and then putting that in between titanium sheets and then putting that inside a steel box and then putting that inside a sturdy tungsten high speed steel  box with extra  Monroe 58620 load adjust shock absorbers usually works out pretty well... 

Fixed that to reflect the reality of postal workers ability of destruction…

5 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

If the box is too big there are easy steps to cut it down to size.

• Take an old school ruler.  Remember those?  They were wood.  I have one in my desk in front of me that is 18" long.  There is a reason I mention the size. 
  • On the corners of your box mark off whatever amount you want to trim the box by on all four corners.  Say you are knocking off 3".
  • Use a scissors and cut to those marks.
  • Line the ruler up with the new cuts and fold the new flap across the flat of the ruler on all four sides. Line up the ruler and bend the entire side with the palm of your hand. 
  • Trim the new flaps if necessary. 
  • Send away and you can reduce the size of your box.

As Joe said, fill it up so it does not flop around or cut it down to side. 

Can you use this method for jewelry?
Asking for a friend.

Just now, Buzzetta said:

Folding jewelry would probably damage it. (shrug)

not if it's a locket! :acclaim:

Just now, Buzzetta said:

You would close a locket not fold it. 

dang

These are all sucky things that happened in transit.  Others have shared similar views but I thought I'd share my experience also.  One of my first serious jobs was shipping manager at a high end audio store.  We had to ship fairly sensitive components all over the country every single day (and high end amplifiers aren't very resilient against being bounced around).  One of the most important things you learned was never leave extra space in the box that allowed movement of the contents and always have space around the contents to absorb impacts.  The problem isn't using the USPS boxes (although double walled boxes are definitely better), it's packing them properly.

Unfortunately, I've had lots of comics and books sent to me that weren't packed well.  Whenever there is space to move, the object being shipped almost always (9 times out 10) gets damaged.  It's one of the reasons books get damaged in slabs sometime- because they have room to move, hence SCS.

Having said all of this, there are some circumstances in which no amount of protection will keep the object from getting damaged.  If it's placed at the bottom of 8 other boxes, each weighing an average of 60 pounds, your package will get compressed.  But if there's no dead space inside, it won't get crunched or flattened, just compressed.  If a forklift misses the palette and hits the boxes on top, it will penetrate any cardboard box and probably whatever is inside also.  But if there's a little space around the object, it may not get hit.  2c

Just now, greggy said:

That's what she said. 

Must have been one of Buzz's customers.

13 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

My youngest son (24) really got into chess this last year, so I asked my brother about his 50 year old, hand-carved onyx chess set he picked up in Mexico on a HS field trip. It had a hand made box that opened into a board, with inlaid dark and light rectangles.  Oh yeah, he said, we'll ship it to you!  No, no, no..., that would take too much packing (and instruction) for it ever to get here in less than broken pieces. We had some relatives hand transport it down through some family meetings.

I would know where to start on packing such a monstrosity, but your average Joe...., no way.

pic!