• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USPS ruined a golden age gem
3 3

149 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, lostboys said:

I had a seller that shipped me 4 slabbed books by media mail.

Well, the post office must've opened the box to inspect it.

They unwrapped all the bubble wrap off the slabs and then they just threw the slabs back in the box unprotected.

By the time it got to me it was crushed and all 4 slabs were in pieces.

I filed a received damaged claim with ebay and got a refund.

It's the sellers responsibility to get it to you in one piece.

...even though he was not to blame...and the last time that he touched the package was when he dropped it off at the Post Office...   :(

Edited by pemart1966

5 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

...even though he was not to blame...and the last time that he touched the package was when he dropped it off at the Post Office...   :(

well he did ship media mail which is a no no for comics and cheap when shipping slabs IMO.

6 minutes ago, kav said:

well he did ship media mail which is a no no for comics and cheap when shipping slabs IMO.

That's what you said. 

30 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Yes he was. He chose media mail. 

1 hour ago, wombat said:

Yes he was. He chose media mail. 

I have to admit that, not being American, I'm not up on exactly what "media mail" is.  That being said, one would think that there is an implicit obligation on the USPS to treat whatever piece of mail they handle in a prudent manner.

Does that always happen?  Ahhhhhh.....no.

1 minute ago, pemart1966 said:

I have to admit that, not being American, I'm not up on exactly what "media mail" is.  That being said, one would think that there is an implicit obligation on the USPS to treat whatever piece of mail they handle in a prudent manner.

Media mail is the only type of service where the post office can and will sometimes open up the package just to see if what is inside qualifies to actually be media mail. So the risk is always there. The chances of them packing it back up like you packed it are slim and none. All to save a few bucks. If you choose this option for anything of any actual value that person deserves 100% of the blame. 

2 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Nah, our postal service doesn't give a rats . I was talking to my mailman the other day. He scans on pickup, he always picks up if I request one, etc. Other three hardly ever do their job properly. He was out for 3 days, and when he came back he saw the pickup request from me for the last three days piled up. He tried to convince me to call the PO and complain, said people he works with are trash(he's near retirement age, they're all younger). Those same people rammed a flat rate in my mailbox bending it to hell. They take no pride in what they do. USPS complaints on Reddit is really entertaining to check out if you have the time. Seen some wild things they'll do to a package to make it fit in a mailbox.

Edited by Yeahiwasder4dat

18 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Well, yeah.

It sucks but the alternative is laying the burden on the recipient who never, ever got to see the package before it was damaged.

The shipper should be responsible for the insurance and for filing the insurance claim if the package they shipped is damaged.

If you order a watch online and it arrives in pieces...youd contact the business that shipped it.

On 6/5/2021 at 7:51 PM, shadroch said:

If you didn't declare a value, it's $50. If you want more, even if it insured you have to show the books worth, and good luck trying to convince them a two inch tear ruins the books value.

Not always... if it was purchased off of eBay from certain sellers such as moi... it is automatically insured to $100 if priority shipping was used. 

Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 10.02.32 AM.png

On 6/7/2021 at 7:05 PM, Yeahiwasder4dat said:

Nah, our postal service doesn't give a rats . I was talking to my mailman the other day. He scans on pickup, he always picks up if I request one, etc. Other three hardly ever do their job properly. He was out for 3 days, and when he came back he saw the pickup request from me for the last three days piled up. He tried to convince me to call the PO and complain, said people he works with are trash(he's near retirement age, they're all younger). Those same people rammed a flat rate in my mailbox bending it to hell. They take no pride in what they do. USPS complaints on Reddit is really entertaining to check out if you have the time. Seen some wild things they'll do to a package to make it fit in a mailbox.

Around here on Long Island, requesting a pickup is basically requesting a porch pirate to come and plunder your front yard. 

It's amazing what gets passed around the ring doorbell.   I have packages that have to go out today so I avoid the risk and drop them off personally. 

23 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Around here on Long Island, requesting a pickup is basically requesting a porch pirate to come and plunder your front yard. 

It's amazing what gets passed around the ring doorbell.   I have packages that have to go out today so I avoid the risk and drop them off personally. 

I have a Ring as well. It's absolute garbage. Wind sets it off, but doesn't go off when I need it to. I'm in Atlanta. Generally not the best area but I've been here for almost 30 years and so have my neighbors. Been here before the area became trash so all decent people. No one really tries stuff in this particular neighborhood.

5 minutes ago, Yeahiwasder4dat said:

I have a Ring as well. It's absolute garbage. Wind sets it off, but doesn't go off when I need it to. I'm in Atlanta. Generally not the best area but I've been here for almost 30 years and so have my neighbors. Been here before the area became trash so all decent people. No one really tries stuff in this particular neighborhood.

I love it.  Works great for me to be honest.  I just had to calibrate the settings.

But, with that said, I would never trust anyone to pick something up.  When I drop it off myself I make certain that it is scanned.  That way I know that the chain of possession last ended with the USPS.  When you have it picked up you never know if they will actually scan it.  No matter how great your postman is, maybe he called in sick that day.  Maybe that was the day he scanned all but one of them.  

When I drop them off at the post office, there is evidence through tracking that the USPS took possession of the item. 

Edited by Buzzetta