• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
17 17

1,535 posts in this topic

On 7/30/2022 at 1:46 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

The AA61 was not a weak result, though.

Definitely not a weak result per se, but relatively speaking, did not seem to surprise as much on the upside as compared to some of the other less classic non-key books like the DC Batman's that managed to hit 6-figures later on in the auction that same day.  (shrug)

On 7/30/2022 at 4:57 PM, lou_fine said:

Definitely not a weak result per se, but relatively speaking, did not seem to surprise as much on the upside as compared to some of the other less classic non-key books like the DC Batman's that managed to hit 6-figures later on in the auction that same day.  (shrug)

Some of the results were just plain asinine. If people really wanted the books to keep, fair enough, but if guys were paying those prices thinking they could flip the books, well . . . let's wait and see how that works out for them.

If prices are softening on "first offer" Promise books, I'm not seeing it. 

There were a couple of raw Promise books that I had on my radar in the weekly auction that just concluded, that I thought I might have a chance on given they were raw and all the speculation here that prices of Promise books (and comics in general) are softening because of macroeconomic conditions.

Wrong.

On 8/1/2022 at 9:06 PM, tth2 said:

If prices are softening on "first offer" Promise books, I'm not seeing it. 

There were a couple of raw Promise books that I had on my radar in the weekly auction that just concluded, that I thought I might have a chance on given they were raw and all the speculation here that prices of Promise books (and comics in general) are softening because of macroeconomic conditions.

Wrong.

? It looks like The Dead-Eye Western v1#9 was the only raw Promise book that went over a grand. That's more than I'd pay for any western, but for people who collect westerns, it's probably a sought after cover. 

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 8/4/2022 at 6:58 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

? It looks like The Dead-Eye Western #1 was the only raw Promise book that went over a grand. That's more than I'd pay for any western, but for people who collect westerns, it's probably a sought after cover. 

The 9 went for $1320

On 8/2/2022 at 2:25 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Some previously sold Promise books are coming up again in the HA auction that opens for bidding on 8/19.

No real surprise here, but it looks like none of the original buyers are brave enough to dare send their books back in for a regrade prior to reselling.  I guess it kind of speaks volumes when the CPR game which is one of the usual go to plays in today's marketplace is not being used for these Heritage submitted Promise books.  :devil:

Haven't been following these resales of the Promise books very closely, but have there been any yet where the original buyer has made money on their second go round resale?  ???

I guess neither the 'Tec 140 or the Phantom Lady 17 have come back to market yet since those might have gone to longer terms collectors, but those two would definitely be interesting to watch on a resale.  :popcorn:

On 8/5/2022 at 10:48 AM, lou_fine said:

No real surprise here, but it looks like none of the original buyers are brave enough to dare send their books back in for a regrade prior to reselling.  I guess it kind of speaks volumes when the CPR game which is one of the usual go to plays in today's marketplace is not being used for these Heritage submitted Promise books.  :devil:

Haven't been following these resales of the Promise books very closely, but have there been any yet where the original buyer has made money on their second go round resale?  ???

I guess neither the 'Tec 140 or the Phantom Lady 17 have come back to market yet since those might have gone to longer terms collectors, but those two would definitely be interesting to watch on a resale.  :popcorn:

I haven't followed resales closely, either, but I won't be surprised if some books match or beat their original prices. Thousands of Promise books have been auctioned off. Many of them went for absurdly high prices, and those are the ones that we tend to talk about, but some of them flew under the radar.

Whether a few books sell higher is more or less irrelevant. It makes more sense to looks at the books collectively. I predict that the Promise books will sell for less the second time around on average. The ones that sell right away—meaning in 2022—might do OK because the hype hasn't died down yet. We're still in the honeymoon phase. I'm more interested in seeing how the values hold up a couple of years down the road when the party's over.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 7/30/2022 at 4:34 PM, lou_fine said:

I would tend to agree with you that within the first hour of bidding in the first Promise Signature Auction, it was quite evident that not too much would be flying under the radar from that point onwards.  :frown:

Some of the Actions went for ridiculous prices, but I thought that some of them went for about what I would have expected for an ordinary pedigree. The prices might have been stronger than non-peds, but they didn't fetch the ridiculous Promise multiples. The 106 was a highest-graded copy, so the price seems about right to me. The 98 is in 2nd place behind a 9.8, so the price might have been just a bit high, but it wasn't crazy.

Action98.PNG

Action106.PNG

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 8/5/2022 at 2:38 PM, sfcityduck said:

Seven Seas 5 is up on August 11.

I guess there's still no sighting of the Promise copies for the much in-demand classic cover issues of the run, namely Seven Seas 4 and Seven Seas 6?  Especially since some boardies here at the time had suggested that these 2 issues might just have been snapped up by somebody with the right connections prior to the Heritage auction since the rest of the run was there?  hm  (shrug)

Which makes me wonder where the Church copies of this short run is since they were all graded as NM+ copies at the time save for SS 2 and SS 6 which came in at NM condition.  Interesting to note that the two go to issues at the time were Seven Seas 1 and Seven Seas 3 at $27 and $22 respectively, or pretty much double what the rest of the issues in the run were listed for.  :luhv:  :takeit:

On 8/5/2022 at 7:11 PM, lou_fine said:

I guess there's still no sighting of the Promise copies for the much in-demand classic cover issues of the run, namely Seven Seas 4 and Seven Seas 6?  Especially since some boardies here at the time had suggested that these 2 issues might just have been snapped up by somebody with the right connections prior to the Heritage auction since the rest of the run was there?  hm  (shrug)

Which makes me wonder where the Church copies of this short run is since they were all graded as NM+ copies at the time save for SS 2 and SS 6 which came in at NM condition.  Interesting to note that the two go to issues at the time were Seven Seas 1 and Seven Seas 3 at $27 and $22 respectively, or pretty much double what the rest of the issues in the run were listed for.  :luhv:  :takeit:

Hi Lou:hi:

There are some books I noticed that are unaccounted for on the Church masterlist I found online by 'It's All Just Comics'. 

Is that a good indicator that more likely than not Church copies of said books do not exist (weren't in the collection)?

On 8/5/2022 at 8:13 PM, sagii said:

Hi Lou:hi:

There are some books I noticed that are unaccounted for on the Church masterlist I found online by 'It's All Just Comics'. 

Is that a good indicator that more likely than not Church copies of said books do not exist (weren't in the collection)?

Not sure about the online list you have, but I get the feeling it's the same 184-page hardcopy list that I have from back in the day.  (thumbsu

If so, that list is definitely not the complete list since it would have excluded the first $10K worth of books at guide that Burrell Rowe received for loaning Chuck the $2K which he needed in order to acquire the collection from the Church family.  I believe he went for all of the nice covers such as the early Fiction House titles including the entire Planet run.  If you take a closer look at the list, you'll also notice a lot of the keys are absent because they were already long gone by the time Chuck came up with his catalog.  Perfect example being the Action 1 to 21 run which was picked up by Snyder to pass them onto Dave Anderson since Dave did not have direct access to acquire any of the books from Chuck back then.  And as we all know now, although it was first thought that there was no Suspense 3 in the collection, it was later determined that this book had been sold off to some random collector very early on after Chuck acquire the collection.  :takeit:

So bottom-line:  That list you are referring to is far from complete and not having a book in there does not mean that the Church copy does not exist.  :gossip:

On 8/5/2022 at 8:41 PM, szav said:

You must not have been paying attention at the time... as I recall the 6 went for double what even the most optimistic predictions were. 

I was referring to there supposedly being no copies of either a Seven Seas 4 or a Seven Seas 6 in the Promise Collection, not the Church Collection.  :gossip:

I am fully aware of the Church copy of Seven Seas 6 as I was bidding on the book during the auction, but came nowhere close to winning it.  In speaking with some dealers, the feeling is that the Church run of Seven Seas is scattered off in various directions and most likely locked away in the private collections of a few different collectors.  hm  (shrug)

Actually, my initial interest in the Seven Seas run was really all about Seven Seas 6 since I just loved the colors on that cover with the water and all that.  Can't remember exactly who since it was so long ago, but called some dealers asking for a HG copy of Seven Seas 6.  Sadly, they all said they didn't have a copy at the time, but one dealer said that they had a nice copy of Seven Seas 4 and he would give me a good deal on that book if I wanted it.  Gave it some thought and decided to take it and use it as a placeholder until I managed to find a copy of Seven Seas 6 for my collection.  Needless to say, over the years I ended up acquiring HG copies of the rest of the run, with the sole exception of the Seven Seas 6 which is still a big hole that I now know will never be filled based upon the current price point for the book.  :(  

On 8/5/2022 at 8:08 PM, whomerjay said:

GPA says the Seven Seas 5 Promise went for 14.4K. If it’s truly a 9.4, I would bet that price will be topped. 

I believe you might actually be correct here and this copy here might just finished somewhere the first round $14.4K and the $26.4K (but probably closer to the lower end of this range) which the Seven Seas 3 Promise copy was able to get in the same auction.  hm  

Especially since the close up cover shot of the Seven Seas Girl on SS 5 is a superior and more attractive cover image than the smaller more distant shot on SS 3, albeit the Seven Seas 3 was graded as a CGC 9.6 copy.  Definitely will be fun to watch and see what happens here. :popcorn:

Edited by lou_fine

I’m genuinely curious what everyone’s take on post auction valuation of these books will be? I see this seller is putting some of their Whiz Comics purchases up on eBay at pretty substantial increases, and wondering if they’ll get their asking price, and if not soon, maybe after a while?

I would think the bigger keys might have the best shot at quick premiums and not stuff like this, but you never know. Assuming people were looking to flip the big keys, but doesn’t seem to be the case.

783ADF7E-ECE5-4F33-B529-8D30844EC13E.jpeg

6BB8E0F7-08B8-4AC9-900D-72D2C384B3FE.jpeg

41F93683-FE33-4036-B62A-BF8E2AD58DA3.jpeg

D7DBD5AF-A156-4529-9299-E7E7C4066CC5.jpeg

Edited by LDarkseid1