• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
17 17

1,535 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2022 at 5:03 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

I’m genuinely curious what everyone’s take on post auction valuation of these books will be? I see this seller is putting some of their Whiz Comics purchases up on eBay at pretty substantial increases, and wondering if they’ll get their asking price, and if not soon, maybe after a while?

I would think the bigger keys might have the best shot at quick premiums and not stuff like this, but you never know. Assuming people were looking to flip the big keys, but doesn’t seem to be the case.

783ADF7E-ECE5-4F33-B529-8D30844EC13E.jpeg

6BB8E0F7-08B8-4AC9-900D-72D2C384B3FE.jpeg

41F93683-FE33-4036-B62A-BF8E2AD58DA3.jpeg

D7DBD5AF-A156-4529-9299-E7E7C4066CC5.jpeg

A book is only what someone is willing to pay for it i wish them luck :bigsmile:

On 8/10/2022 at 3:54 PM, comicjack said:

A book is only what someone is willing to pay for it i wish them luck :bigsmile:

No 100%!

I have to imagine anyone who's going buy Promise books will most likely know they sold through Heritage. So that's kinda the crux of it, if you bought any and are looking to flip, what you paid is readily available. As far as what kind of a premium, I mean if it was a book I really really wanted, I'd probably pay a slight premium, but not like over double what it went for at auction. Maybe someone will though. Certainly don't knock anyone for trying and wish them luck. Free market economy baby, do your thing! lol

On 8/11/2022 at 5:47 PM, szav said:
On 8/5/2022 at 8:08 PM, whomerjay said:

GPA says the Seven Seas 5 Promise went for 14.4K. If it’s truly a 9.4, I would bet that price will be topped. 
A 4 or 6 in 9.4- like to see that auction.

So, there was some pretty heavy insanity in this Baker focused auction, nonetheless this Promise flip did quite well, maybe the first time that's happened.

image.thumb.png.1abff18177eebf701d60b1a0f6013492.png

Yep, probably the first time and looks like our thinking in this copy here was pretty close, although it did finished in the middle of the range, as opposed to the lower end as I had initially thought:  :applause:

On 8/6/2022 at 8:45 AM, lou_fine said:

I believe you might actually be correct here and this copy here might just finished somewhere the first round $14.4K and the $26.4K (but probably closer to the lower end of this range) which the Seven Seas 3 Promise copy was able to get in the same auction.  hm  

On 8/11/2022 at 8:47 PM, szav said:

So, there was some pretty heavy insanity in this Baker focused auction, nonetheless this Promise flip did quite well, maybe the first time that's happened.

Yes, being in an "all-Baker" auction stacked the deck in its favor. Most books won't have that advantage. Or will they? Maybe Heritage will have an "all-Schomburg" auction, an "all-L. B. Cole" auction, etc. That could be a game-changer for any book.

On 8/5/2022 at 11:41 PM, szav said:

You must not have been paying attention at the time... as I recall the 6 went for double what even the most optimistic predictions were. 

2017, ....when Bakers and everything else popular were 20-30% of what they are now.  It was considered a stunning result at the time, and a classic example of the rising tide lifts all boats especially for high profile results.  Every single copy of SS 6 no matter what grade doubled in value after this sale and the prices never receded.

No clue where the 4 is.

image.thumb.png.510cbcf36be3a3c9ab902ccfa6ab1c52.png

Do you know who owns the Mile High copy of #4? It would be way out of my price range if it ever sold, but I'd enjoy seeing it. I'm not sure whether it's the 9.2 that's in the census or whether it's still raw.

On 8/11/2022 at 6:11 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Yes, being in an "all-Baker" auction stacked the deck in its favor. Most books won't have that advantage. Or will they? Maybe Heritage will have an "all-Schomburg" auction, an "all-L. B. Cole" auction, etc. That could be a game-changer for any book.

It also doesn't hurt that it's the centrepiece in the promo ad for the "All-Baker" auction along with the Giant Edition Comics 12 and another book.  (thumbsu

On 8/10/2022 at 7:04 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

No 100%!

I have to imagine anyone who's going buy Promise books will most likely know they sold through Heritage. So that's kinda the crux of it, if you bought any and are looking to flip, what you paid is readily available. As far as what kind of a premium, I mean if it was a book I really really wanted, I'd probably pay a slight premium, but not like over double what it went for at auction. Maybe someone will though. Certainly don't knock anyone for trying and wish them luck. Free market economy baby, do your thing! lol

Why would what someone paid be readily available? Assuming the same people bid, the book would sell for one increment above the second underbidder's max. That could be substantially below the original winning bid.

On 8/11/2022 at 8:23 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Why would what someone paid be readily available? Assuming the same people bid, the book would sell for one increment above the second underbidder's max. That could be substantially below the original winning bid.

I don’t know about the whole underbidder part your referencing and why that matters, but since all the Promise books sold through Heritage, all final sales are readily available in Heritage’s sold section. I’m talking about what they sold for, the final bidder. Now that’s not to say someone didn’t buy it in a Heritage auction, resell it for a premium and the current ask price someone on eBay is asking is an additional premium on top. That’s obviously a big part of how comic sales go up over time. With that being said, most of these books JUST sold a short time ago. So I genuinely believe most people who own a copy likely paid whatever it sold for in the Heritage auctions.

On 8/11/2022 at 11:42 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

I don’t know about the whole underbidder part your referencing and why that matters, but since all the Promise books sold through Heritage, all final sales are readily available in Heritage’s sold section. I’m talking about what they sold for, the final bidder. Now that’s not to say someone didn’t buy it in a Heritage auction, resell it for a premium and the current ask price someone on eBay is asking is an additional premium on top. That’s obviously a big part of how comic sales go up over time. With that being said, most of these books JUST sold a short time ago. So I genuinely believe most people who own a copy likely paid whatever it sold for in the Heritage auctions.

I misunderstood. I thought you meant that the amount paid would be readily available again if the owner were to sell the book—that it would easily sell for the same amount, in other words.

On 8/11/2022 at 8:47 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I misunderstood. I thought you meant that the amount paid would be readily available again if the owner were to sell the book—that it would easily sell for the same amount, in other words.

I gotcha, yeah was just trying to figure out what premiums people think promise books could/may go for. I think this seller is a bit ambitious, but who knows. Certainly don’t blame him for trying! I know a lot of people have knocked on the conditions CGC had given for a lot of the promise books, but overall just amazing copies.

On 8/12/2022 at 12:44 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

I gotcha, yeah was just trying to figure out what premiums people think promise books could/may go for. I think this seller is a bit ambitious, but who knows. Certainly don’t blame him for trying! I know a lot of people have knocked on the conditions CGC had given for a lot of the promise books, but overall just amazing copies.

I bought three of the less expensive ones, two 9.2s and a 6.5. I agreed with the grade on 6.5. The other grades were probably a bit soft, but not too bad because I stayed away from the books that looked too softly graded. Some of them were graded ridiculously softly (9.6s that looked like 8.0s, etc.).

I see the soft grading as adding volatility. Some people buy the book, and some people buy the label, so whether these softly-graded books sell for a strong price or a weak price at auction will depend on who shows up to bid on that particular book.

On 8/11/2022 at 9:52 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I bought three of the less expensive ones, two 9.2s and a 6.5. I agreed with the grade on 6.5. The other grades were probably a bit soft, but not too bad because I stayed away from the books that looked too softly graded. Some of them were graded ridiculously softly (9.6s that looked like 8.0s, etc.).

I see the soft grading as adding volatility. Some people buy the book, and some people buy the label, so whether these softly-graded books sell for a strong price or a weak price at auction will depend on who shows up to bid on that particular book.

What were the 2 9.2’s?

On 8/11/2022 at 10:49 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Wow those are gorgeous!

On 8/11/2022 at 9:52 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I bought three of the less expensive ones, two 9.2s and a 6.5. I agreed with the grade on 6.5. The other grades were probably a bit soft,

Definitely gorgeous and more than presentable eye appeal with a deep strong color strikewhich is what I tend to go for.  :luhv:  :takeit:

Of course, if I had submitted these two books with that number of noticeable spine creases on them without even having to zoom in, I would certainly not be seeing a 9.2 in that top left hand corner.  :frustrated:

Then again, since the books were submitted by Heritage, probably undergraded and should have been a CGC 9.4 at a minimum.  (:  :devil:

On 8/11/2022 at 11:32 PM, lou_fine said:

Definitely gorgeous and more than presentable eye appeal with a deep strong color strikewhich is what I tend to go for.  :luhv:  :takeit:

Of course, if I had submitted these two books with that number of noticeable spine creases on them without even having to zoom in, I would certainly not be seeing a 9.2 in that top left hand corner.  :frustrated:

Then again, since the books were submitted by Heritage, probably undergraded and should have been a CGC 9.4 at a minimum.  (:  :devil:

No I agree, both a bit soft. Still super nice copies, but soft.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 8/11/2022 at 8:47 PM, szav said:

Can’t go wrong buying this at that price. Looks like a legit 9.4; hope it is.

On 8/12/2022 at 8:33 AM, whomerjay said:

Can’t go wrong buying this at that price. Looks like a legit 9.4; hope it is.

Did you zoom in on it on the Heritage site? Every book looks like a 9.4 in a thumbnail.

I'm not sure what's going on along the spine, but I saw enough defects to keep it below 9.4 even without that issue.

SS5A.jpg

On 8/12/2022 at 8:49 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Did you zoom in on it on the Heritage site? Every book looks like a 9.4 in a thumbnail.

I'm not sure what's going on along the spine, but I saw enough defects to keep it below 9.4 even without that issue.

SS5A.jpg

pressing issues 

On 8/12/2022 at 7:29 AM, comicjack said:

pressing issues 

Umm........FYI:  Clearly visible pressing defects caused as a result of improperly performed pressing, similar to books with production defects from the printers, are to be ignored for grading purposes in fear of killing the cash cow machine they have going.  :gossip:

Near invisible tiny barely perceptible NCB creases or ticks which can only be seen when the book is held up at a certain angle to the light is taken out to the CGC grading woodshed in the back and have the living dickens blundgeoned out of them when it comes to the final grade, with the only exception being books submitted by a certain auction house which shall remain nameless here.  :devil:  lol

Seriously though, if you blow up any book to the nth degree like you can with the Heritage scans, you are bound to see defects which you otherwise wouldn't normally noticed.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine