• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What a shame!
2 2

80 posts in this topic

Just now, Wolverinex said:

Oh I know.  I was just going to press it out.  

That is some serious funk, there. Seems to be torn beyond pressing then wouldn't it need to be regraded? You dodged a bullet perhaps, mate. I would be playing Elton John's "Someone Saved My Life Tonight" if it were meself.

Just now, BabyAteMyDingo said:

That is some serious funk, there. Seems to be torn beyond pressing then wouldn't it need to be regraded? You dodged a bullet perhaps, mate. I would be playing Elton John's "Someone Saved My Life Tonight" if it were meself.

Really,  I thought a press fixed everything.  

2 hours ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Spine ticks are from the wrapping during production. Doesn't affect grade.

O.o

1 hour ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

@comicdonna @G G ® ™ ASM 344 was infamous for spine ticks on the black outer edge, but didn't break across the front of the cover. Am I wrong? (shrug)

If a copy is miswrapped, the back cover design on ASM 344 could look kind of like spine ticks. (shrug) But spine ticks are minor, post-production damage.

Certain covers stocks cracking on the spine can also cause what could look like spine ticks, but that's a separate issue.

2 hours ago, MatterEaterLad said:

The last book I sent was an Avengers 1, walkthru. It's been a few weeks and I have no idea where it is. Have fun, kids. 

First off, I hate hearing this news...so by this do you mean it hasn't made it to CGC's headquarters yet and is lost in transit or still waiting to be 'checked in?'  Their TAT's on walk-thru don't look that bad but they also wait to check in invoices and then start the countdown clock.  I was thinking of submitting some express or walk-thru's but if they're taking weeks on those, too, let us know!  Either way, good luck on your book!!!

9 hours ago, Sensei Ryan said:

First off, I hate hearing this news...so by this do you mean it hasn't made it to CGC's headquarters yet and is lost in transit or still waiting to be 'checked in?'  Their TAT's on walk-thru don't look that bad but they also wait to check in invoices and then start the countdown clock.  I was thinking of submitting some express or walk-thru's but if they're taking weeks on those, too, let us know!  Either way, good luck on your book!!!

It's waiting to be checked in. 

Metropolis should never have put it up for auction in the first place. And if CGC was made aware of this before the closing (like a thread and pic on their own damn forum) they should have asked Vincent to pull it. 

edit: I see it was pulled. Kudos to the person who made the call

Edited by Murphman13

13 hours ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:
13 hours ago, BabyAteMyDingo said:

I hate to be the wanker, but I don't think that was ever a 9.9. The lower left corner has some wear and there are spine ticks along the black line border on the left.

Spine ticks are from the wrapping during production. Doesn't affect grade.

Um...

rKjQQXI.gif

Seriously, what?

b3DTsKD.gif

15 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

No, here's the link on Comic Connect for the Brave and the Bold 61

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/903714

Here's a picture of the Hulk 181 but it's low res and hard to see.  My recollection is that the upper right corner is smashed.  Not a 9.9 anymore.

hulk181cgc9.9.jpg.d2cb7ac2e11df8550b07f1f1e79c9546.jpg

Could we say this was a GEM mint 10, and that one tick dropped it to 9.9?

I still don’t know the difference from 9.8 to 10. Maybe it’s the way the front and back cover is cut? If both cuts are perfect = 10? If one is cut perfect and not the other = 9.9? (shrug)

who the heck really knows :facepalm:

2 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

If the 9.9 181 is no longer a 9.9, it should be removed from the census.  It’s doing a disservice to those holding “second highest graded” 9.8s :p

You can just imagine the ebay descriptions as sellers rush to cash in...

This book is now the highest graded on the census, ok along with 360,000 others, but still..  :insane:

18 hours ago, BabyAteMyDingo said:
18 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

Here's a picture of the Hulk 181 but it's low res and hard to see.  My recollection is that the upper right corner is smashed.  Not a 9.9 anymore.

hulk181cgc9.9.jpg.d2cb7ac2e11df8550b07f1f1e79c9546.jpg

Expand  

I hate to be the wanker, but I don't think that was ever a 9.9. The lower left corner has some wear and there are spine ticks along the black line border on the left.

Well, if you guys checked, you'll notice that this book was graded way back right when CGC first opened their doors in 2000, and as such, was most likely graded according to the old standards that were in place at the time before CGC got a chance to fine tune them and also well before Heritage arrived on the scene back in 2002 to up their grading game and subsequent shenanigans.  hm

So yes, you'll most definitely never ever see this book sent back in for regrading as it would not have a chance at anything close to a CGC 9.9 grade now that the former go to messiah of pressing is in charge of grading at CGC, and with non-color breaking creases and spine ticks resting comfortably right up there at the top of his Hit Parade chart with a bullet.  :devil: