• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC/CCG to be sold...
8 8

459 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Ryan. said:

lol

I definitely wouldn't want to be a grader, it's basically a factory line job, just with comics, and the bonus of getting to handle some neat historical books (but I imagine that'd soon lose its lustre). 

8 minutes ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I definitely wouldn't want to be a grader, it's basically a factory line job, just with comics, and the bonus of getting to handle some neat historical books (but I imagine that'd soon lose its lustre). 

50% of the time they handle books that should not be graded thats the main problem.  We can all help them by not submitting junk as well.

I put blue magic out on the streets, the rest are a bunch of knockoffs. :gossip:

@THE_BEYONDER :hi:

Edited by NewWorldOrder

Of course the questions will be how do they envision making more money. It could go in different directions. Hire a bunch more graders and you can get more books out the door. Or dictate that time spent on grading needs to be reduced by 50%. That gets a lot more books out the door to. Or hire a bunch of new receiving department lower wage people and start charging the minute the book is marked as received. Then you don't care how long it takes. 

3 minutes ago, wombat said:

Of course the questions will be how do they envision making more money. It could go in different directions. Hire a bunch more graders and you can get more books out the door. Or dictate that time spent on grading needs to be reduced by 50%. That gets a lot more books out the door to. Or hire a bunch of new receiving department lower wage people and start charging the minute the book is marked as received. Then you don't care how long it takes. 

Or a second location

In THAT scenario, what happens is that you will have guys submitting the same batch of books to both locations to test the grading facilities.  Whichever location gets the best results gets the books.

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Or a second location

In THAT scenario, what happens is that you will have guys submitting the same batch of books to both locations to test the grading facilities.  Whichever location gets the best results gets the books.

That seems like the biggest investment in money. Worth it? No idea. Not sure what kind of capacity they are currently at. 

4 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Or a second location

No,  they will just make everyone work harder or pay them less for the same work.  Then if they can outsource or use AI, the American based graders will be fired.  

Just now, Wolverinex said:

No,  they will just make everyone work harder or pay them less for the same work.  Then if they can outsource or use AI, the American based graders will be fired.  

No.  That would be impractical to risk movement of insured collectables to another country to be graded and then returned.   So that is highly unlikely. 

Just now, Buzzetta said:

No.  That would be impractical to risk movement of insured collectables to another country to be graded and then returned.   So that is highly unlikely. 

They will just grade using facetime. :idea:

Here is my next scenario that I see.

Revision of the Signatures Series program.   CGC seems to be an outlier here in the autograph field where only 'witnessed' autographs get that yellow label unless the chain of custody from the signer or artist to cgc can be made without being compromised... yadda yadda yadda you know the drill.

Why not open up a signature verification service?  I see that coming as a way to open the door to new revenues of money. 

Just now, Buzzetta said:

Maybe they can send scans... have someone in India grade for 5 cents or even better just post in the PGM forums for free.  

Regardless,  they can still make the original employees work harder or find ways to fire higher wage earners and replace them with cheaper hires.... there are a multitude of ways of improving the bottom line... while decreasing the quality of life of their employees

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

Where have you been for the past year and a half?  Get with the times.  

https://zoom.us/

All remote graders. And any other employee they can get to work remote. So instead of opening up another facility they will look do downsize the one they have. 

43 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

My next scenario?

How do you monetize the CGC boards?  There seems to be a LOT of money changing hands in those FS threads. 

I can't stop laughing at your new avatar. lol

48 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

My next scenario?

How do you monetize the CGC boards?  There seems to be a LOT of money changing hands in those FS threads. 

A subscription model for access to the marketplace is the most likely outcome if they do decide to monetize the forums.

Too late to scroll through all pages, but I assume this is the thread where we say our goodbyes. Let me know where we’re moving to, unless it’s Facebook, then I’m out. 

My guess: CCG marketplace will be launched shortly after they shut down the boards. Don’t worry about the 10% fee to CCG for selling, when you submit your books to be graded before they list it in the marketplace, the grade will come in higher than you expected, netting you, and CCG more. 

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Or a second location

Have a true "Moderns-only" separate facility that only handles books released within the past 20 years.