• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worst cover ever
3 3

275 posts in this topic

On 8/17/2021 at 5:39 PM, grendelbo said:

I picked up this in Saturday for $1.50. I got is for the late-Bronze and Sword & Sorcery theme. The artwork inside is nice (Ernie Colon) but the cover looks like a hastily done sketch (Colon and Giordano).

Arak 1.jpg

Horrible cover, I think a 12 year old could draw this good

When I look at these 13 pages of covers, I can't call something horrible if it's just the product of its time and lived up to the standards of the past. When it comes to those two horrible Adventures of Superman, I think it's a case of "well, it's bad, but the issue is already late so let's just ship it."  And yeah, the Liefelds and World's Finest are super bad, but they're at least a style, one that some people obviously like because both of those artists have gotten work for decades.

But the one below should have never left the Marvel offices, would have been better if they'd just used the logo and a blank cover. This isn't a style, it's representative of the unfortunate time that every artist goes through as they're trying to get good. This is your 15-year-old friend's work that you look at and say, "Oh, yeah, good," but you're lying through your teeth. This cover makes me feel physically uneasy. ^^

On 7/5/2021 at 12:52 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

My entry: 

RtcvKOi.jpg

On 7/5/2021 at 6:15 PM, catman76 said:

He has no style,nothing. It all looks like just painted over photographs, no imagination, no creativity, all his expressions and poses are all way too realistic and booooooring....

I realize I'm late to the party here but you say he has "no style" then went on to describe his style.

I'll take realistic, painted covers any time.

In fact, I'll trade every Momoko and Young variant I can find for your Alex Ross's.

On 9/16/2021 at 11:15 AM, Ablation Steve said:

When I look at these 13 pages of covers, I can't call something horrible if it's just the product of its time and lived up to the standards of the past. When it comes to those two horrible Adventures of Superman, I think it's a case of "well, it's bad, but the issue is already late so let's just ship it."  And yeah, the Liefelds and World's Finest are super bad, but they're at least a style, one that some people obviously like because both of those artists have gotten work for decades.

But the one below should have never left the Marvel offices, would have been better if they'd just used the logo and a blank cover. This isn't a style, it's representative of the unfortunate time that every artist goes through as they're trying to get good. This is your 15-year-old friend's work that you look at and say, "Oh, yeah, good," but you're lying through your teeth. This cover makes me feel physically uneasy. ^^

I've been slowly collecting my favorite hip-hop variant covers, but this one will never be a part of my collection. I could at least understand why they went this route if the inspiration album had similar art, but the Grandmaster Flash album is a fairly un-stylized photo!

d92cdd4d.jpg

On 9/18/2021 at 12:20 PM, oatcrunch said:

I've been slowly collecting my favorite hip-hop variant covers, but this one will never be a part of my collection. I could at least understand why they went this route if the inspiration album had similar art, but the Grandmaster Flash album is a fairly un-stylized photo!

d92cdd4d.jpg

I will admit complete ignorance that the cover was an homage! But I still say the art on the comic cover is terrible. 

On 9/20/2021 at 2:11 PM, Ablation Steve said:

I will admit complete ignorance that the cover was an homage! But I still say the art on the comic cover is terrible. 

Exactly.  Could’ve been done better than that horrendous-looking effort.

On 9/21/2021 at 10:31 PM, s-man said:

Why would tinyman call his ray gun giant if its just normal sized? meh

Relative to him, his gun is massive. 

Tough to avoid innuendo.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 9/21/2021 at 5:34 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Relative to him, his gun is massive. 

Relative to him yes, but not to the person he points it at, so why not just call it a ray gun? (shrug)

On 9/21/2021 at 10:36 PM, s-man said:

Relative to him yes, but not to the person he points it at, so why not just call it a ray gun? (shrug)

It sounds more intimidating.   Tiny guy, overcompensating.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 9/22/2021 at 9:23 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Boring.

If people think this is art, then buy it. I won't spend a dime on the drek or this variant done to death era.

Sums up exactly what I feel about his art now. I really liked JR JR’s art back in the 80s, but when he changed to this style in the early 90s, I just started to find it extremely boring and couldn’t engage with it at all.  A shame.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 9/22/2021 at 1:32 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Sums up exactly what I feel about his art now. I really liked JR JR’s art back in the 80s, but when he changed to this style in the early 90s, I just started to find it extremely boring and couldn’t engage with it at all.  A shame.

Early 90s is when I lost interest in anyone's art, and titles. I am stuck in the bronze age now, it's an addiction like crack lol