• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Not a perfect movie but I liked it..." - where are these perfect movies?
10 10

263 posts in this topic

I thought the theatrical version of The Abyss was a great film. The Director's Cut or Extended version or whatever it was called was worth the watch, but I feel the scenes that were cut was for the best, especially after decades of watching the TR. 

Michael Beihn was excellent! No surprise there.

Edited by MR SigS

An article on PERFECT MOVIES - though some I personally would hesitate considering all in this category.

Definite strong contenders:

• THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL
  • JAWS
  • UNFORGIVEN
  • THERE WILL BE BLOOD
  • MAD MAX: FURY ROAD
  • THE THING (1982)
  • THE BIG LEBOWSKI
  • PULP FICTION
  • HOT FUZZ
  • SPIDER-MAN 2
  • SCHINDLER'S LIST

On 5/1/2023 at 5:42 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Fury Road? wot?

Spending most or all of her life with those people, Furiosa should have picked up at least a little bit of an accent. I know that's picking fly poop out of the pepper pot, but my younger brother started saying, "y'all" after 5 years in Mississippi.

Edited by MR SigS
What do you mean, "those people"?

On 5/1/2023 at 6:38 AM, jimjum12 said:

The last movie approaching perfection was "Prometheus" ... alas, the vast majority of mankind lacked sufficient evolution to fully comprehend or appreciate it. GOD BLESS.... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

You know, I really like Prometheus (as much as I love my X-Men, Michael Fassbender is kind of a waste playing Magneto - his acting is simply amazing in Prometheus) - I've never thought of it as a perfect film. Not for any reason at all, I just never analyzed it in that way. The next time I watch it (which is about every 6-8 months) I'm going to view it with that in mind.

On 5/4/2023 at 6:41 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

If you want to, can you explain how?

Go back if your interested and watch Bullet (Steve McQueen) or Duel (Spielbergs first made for TV movie) or Road Warrior (first Mad Max). There are many others, but all classic chase movies. Simple plots, require almost no dialogue, great stunts (an understatement) and hold tension throughout. Fury Road follows in this tradition and embellishes. It‘s beautiful to look at and in this age of cgi (most of it bad) the practical stunts and sets are gorgeous. It is beautifully crafted, entirely self consistent and by my standard, a perfect film. Pure cinema.

Also, I have to thank you for reminding me of Duel.

On 5/4/2023 at 9:00 AM, Mr Sneeze said:

Go back if your interested and watch Bullet (Steve McQueen) or Duel (Spielbergs first made for TV movie) or Road Warrior (first Mad Max). There are many others, but all classic chase movies. Simple plots, require almost no dialogue, great stunts (an understatement) and hold tension throughout. Fury Road follows in this tradition and embellishes. It‘s beautiful to look at and in this age of cgi (most of it bad) the practical stunts and sets are gorgeous. It is beautifully crafted, entirely self consistent and by my standard, a perfect film. Pure cinema.

Also, I have to thank you for reminding me of Duel.

I guess I just don't understand how a chase movie can be regarded that well. (shrug)

On 5/4/2023 at 9:13 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I guess I just don't understand how a chase movie can be regarded that well. (shrug)

That’s fair, we all like what we like. But if you get time, give it or any of the others mentioned a chance.