• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF 9.6 coming to auction
7 7

704 posts in this topic

On 8/28/2021 at 11:25 AM, tth2 said:

It's been a while since I looked at the Census, but as I recall the only Marvel SA mega-keys that exist in 9.8 are the Curator X-Men 1, Pacific Coast X-Men 1 (after several tries) and ASM 1 (to the extent ASM 1 is considered a mega-key).

And no, DD 1 is not a mega-key.

I had thought Doug got a 9.8 out of an FF 1 but my memory was wrong. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I can be too long winded, but I suppose my point was that people consider the high end(grade) SA keys to be so much more common than GA, but this is an erroneous assumption. 

Edited by jimjum12

On 8/27/2021 at 10:47 PM, tth2 said:

The point is that it's allegedly all manipulation, so why mess around with chump change?  If the buyer and seller are the same person and it's a costless transaction, and this is all being done to set an artificially high new benchmark that can be used to inflate the prices of other copies that'll be dumped on unsuspecting dupes, then why not go really big? 

oh I got the point...I hope most did...anything over 0.12 to me, is absurd

On 8/28/2021 at 11:25 AM, tth2 said:

It's been a while since I looked at the Census, but as I recall the only Marvel SA mega-keys that exist in 9.8 are the Curator X-Men 1, Pacific Coast X-Men 1 (after several tries) and ASM 1 (to the extent ASM 1 is considered a mega-key).

And no, DD 1 is not a mega-key.

The way the price has been climbing, it's getting there  

yeas  but all the new price points all of a sudden are still a bit bewildering. Look at X-Men already falling off crazy highs in grades  147K in 8.0 with newer sales far less.  Daredevil feels like irrational exuberance over rumors that hes arriving in the MCU movies soon.  And that DD1 prices haven't budged in many years.

On 8/28/2021 at 5:32 PM, Aman619 said:

yeas  but all the new price points all of a sudden are still a bit bewildering. Look at X-Men already falling off crazy highs in grades  147K in 8.0 with newer sales far less.  Daredevil feels like irrational exuberance over rumors that hes arriving in the MCU movies soon.  And that DD1 prices haven't budged in many years.

that's because X1 is not part of the Marvel trinity (FF1, Hulk1, AF15) and was overhyped

On 8/28/2021 at 3:32 PM, Aman619 said:

Look at X-Men already falling off crazy highs in grades 

That's not what the guy at the comic shop said today about X-men (94-143ish). How come whenever I want to sell comics they've cooled and when I want to buy comics, well, the man at the comic book shop says there's no dealing cause there's a new movie coming out, you know.

Don't know why I deal with the local comic shop guy, I should just call Bob Storms.

Edited by NoMan

On 8/28/2021 at 11:35 PM, jimjum12 said:

I can be too long winded, but I suppose my point was that people consider the high end(grade) SA keys to be so much more common than GA, but this is an erroneous assumption. 

Well, they are, at least for Marvel. Which doesn't necessarily mean they're common in absolute terms (although the number of AF 15s in 9.4 or higher really shocks me), but certainly more common relatively speaking.  

If you take the Marvel SA mega-keys, which I define (being an Old School collector) as FF 1, AF 15, Hulk 1, JIM 83, TOS 39 and X-Men 1, there are a whole lot more copies in ultra-HG (defined as 9.4 or above) than the GA mega-keys (Action 1, Detective 27, Marvel Comics 1, Whiz 2, Superman 1, Batman 1, All Star 3, Captain America 1).   

What it does highlight, though, is that 9.8 continues to be a really tough grade for any book pre-1965.

On 8/28/2021 at 11:43 PM, tth2 said:

certainly more common relatively speaking. 

That's just it .... "relatively speaking" would apply with stamp collectors, when there are only 5 of them left... but with the volume of comic collectors who have the will and means to pursue the 9.4 specimens, the difference between 1 copy or 5 copies is becoming more negligible. We're already seeing this with the current AF 15 auction. Demand trumps scarcity once one reaches a certain point.... especially if one extrapolates to the point of very low demand, at which time, scarcity may have no effect at all. GOD BLESS...

... admittedly, this discussion is purely academic for me, far away from the shallow end that I mostly occupy.

On 8/28/2021 at 8:52 PM, tth2 said:

Yes, but taking a quick poll of my 1.1 billion brothers and sisters across the border, the general reactions were: 

"He whines too much"

"He has super powers!  Why is he still so poor?"

"He has super powers and is smart!  Why is he not rich like Tony Stark?"

"He is a good boy to take such good care of his old aunt.  But if he made more money he could take better care of her!"

(there's kind of a general theme here)

They say these things but so did I when I was a kid, and like me they love him, anyway.  

On 8/28/2021 at 6:36 PM, drmanhattanite said:

that's because X1 is not part of the Marvel trinity (FF1, Hulk1, AF15) and was overhyped

Can you say that louder for those in the back?

There were 4-5 people constantly hyping that book and DD1. Even still a few are pushing both pretty hard. I always wonder how long until their for sale ad's hit.

DD1 ads did hit by a couple of those guys shortly after the pump. It is what it is I suppose.

Edited by PKJ

On 8/29/2021 at 5:51 PM, PKJ said:

Can you say that louder for those in the back?

There were 4-5 people constantly hyping that book and DD1. Even still a few are pushing both pretty hard. I always wonder how long until their for sale ad's hit.

DD1 ads did hit by a couple of those guys shortly after the pump. It is what it is I suppose.

X Men 1 and DD 1 great and important books but not the level of AF 15 FF 1 & Hulk 1. Those 3 are the only true Marvel Tier 1 SA books Id throw JIM 83 in at #4

On 7/26/2021 at 7:54 AM, tth2 said:

There's probably only a few books that would go for more than a 9.6 AF 15.

1. Church Action 1

2. Allentown Detective 27

3. 9.2 Detective 27

4. 9.0 Action 1

5.  9.0 Action 1

6.  Church Batman 1

7.  Dentist copy of Superman 1

Would the 9.8 Allentown Captain America 1 or the Church Marvel Comics 1 go for more?  I don't think they would.  At least it would be close.

Oh, come on now, Tim.....................have you forgotten all about the Church copy of All-American 16?  :bigsmile:

After all, isn't AA 16 right up there in the #4 spot on Overstreet's Top 100 behind just Acton 1, 'Tec 27, and Supes 1?  lol

On 8/29/2021 at 11:22 PM, lou_fine said:
On 7/26/2021 at 10:54 AM, tth2 said:

There's probably only a few books that would go for more than a 9.6 AF 15.

1. Church Action 1

2. Allentown Detective 27

3. 9.2 Detective 27

4. 9.0 Action 1

5.  9.0 Action 1

6.  Church Batman 1

7.  Dentist copy of Superman 1

Would the 9.8 Allentown Captain America 1 or the Church Marvel Comics 1 go for more?  I don't think they would.  At least it would be close.

Expand  

Oh, come on now, Tim.....................have you forgotten all about the Church copy of All-American 16?  :bigsmile:

After all, isn't AA 16 right up there in the #4 spot on Overstreet's Top 100 behind just Acton 1, 'Tec 27, and Supes 1?  lol

... There will probably come a day when the Allentown Detective 27 will supplant the Church Action 1, much in the same way that AF 15 has permanently supplanted both FF 1 and Showcase 4 .... popularity DOES matter 2c GOD BLESS...