• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF 9.6 coming to auction
7 7

704 posts in this topic

On 8/19/2021 at 12:56 PM, Chicago Boy said:

The personal  Ditko collection up for auction needs way more press.  This stuff is awesome !

I must be simple cause I can’t find it on Heritage. Except for the promo email

6 month ago it’d break record….

now though, with prices slightly decreasing and date I say it the lockdown interest declining, I’m thinking it’ll do well to break the 3 million and I certainly can’t see it beating AC1 

There has been a relapse from the mind bending collectibles prices paid earlier this year, so I agree there’s a solid chance this is a serious headwind against a crazy 4M price.

but a copy of the best SA book, and arguably the #3 book in the hobby, that hasn’t come up in public auction in this highest grade… ever?  It will be interesting to see where it lands. 

On 8/20/2021 at 4:43 PM, NoMan said:

I must be simple cause I can’t find it on Heritage. Except for the promo email

Here you go: https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-nm-96-off-white-pages/a/7246-93001.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

It's now at $1.23 million.

Edited by namisgr

On 8/20/2021 at 4:04 PM, namisgr said:

I’ve seen a lot in my life but this is all so mind boggling 

btw I ment can’t find the Ditko collection 

Edited by NoMan

On 8/20/2021 at 7:07 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

May be a long long long time before another AF15 CGC 9.6 comes up for auction. One has to believe the people that own them have a lot of money already maybe not all but if they do why bother even selling it will continue to rise in value.

I get it if someone got it cheap and is going to live a great life after it sells why not.

And he/she probably has another copy(lower grade, of course).

On 8/21/2021 at 10:23 AM, G.A.tor said:

I will add some hearsay and opinion :

this 9.6 was at one time a cgc 9.4...I'm told it has zero shot at a 9.8 ...so that suspicion shouldn't be part of anyone's equation...

I always found it funny when folks speculate on others (whether it be their bidding strategy, or what the owner of "this or that" would do, etc), without first hand knowledge...but that's just me...

I think this book will easily surpass 3 mil...we are in midst of a hyperinflation period where folks that have an extra 3 mil in cash today, realize it will only be worth 2.7 tomorrow...that's why many choose to park that cash in hard assets (like comics)... but this book, is still #3 in the hierarchy 

outside of that, sure will be fun to watch, won't it!

now back to your regularly scheduled posting 

if it actually hits 3M I will be surprised as it will help anchor the GA sales and propel them to even higher levels. The only real hedge against inflation is going to be real assets, such as real estate which will go up as their "replacement cost" price goes up with inflation and which can produce income to sustain them and even give a positive cash return. I just had my favorite pizza shop raise the price of a slice from 3.50 to 4.00 at the beginning of the year, since the minimum wage was increased in CA. I go the shop on Saturday and order slices to go and charge me 9.70...I said excuse me, it should be 8.00  and he said, they just raised the price to 4.85...I said the sign still says 4.00 and he says he has not had time to change it, .....now that is hyper...

On 8/21/2021 at 3:02 PM, Mmehdy said:

if it actually hits 3M I will be surprised as it will help anchor the GA sales and propel them to even higher levels. 

Logical fallacy. The sale of this book has nothing to do with Golden Age

On 8/21/2021 at 3:02 PM, Mmehdy said:

if it actually hits 3M I will be surprised as it will help anchor the GA sales and propel them to even higher levels. The only real hedge against inflation is going to be real assets, such as real estate which will go up as their "replacement cost" price goes up with inflation and which can produce income to sustain them and even give a positive cash return. I just had my favorite pizza shop raise the price of a slice from 3.50 to 4.00 at the beginning of the year, since the minimum wage was increased in CA. I go the shop on Saturday and order slices to go and charge me 9.70...I said excuse me, it should be 8.00  and he said, they just raised the price to 4.85...I said the sign still says 4.00 and he says he has not had time to change it, .....now that is hyper...

It will surpass 3million I believe. If the last 6+ months have shown us anything it’s that folks, even in the 7 figure range, are overpaying relative to our perception or expectations. 

Edited by G.A.tor

On 8/21/2021 at 3:52 PM, Crowzilla said:

The effect I see a book like this, selling for 2 or 3+ million , is just further bringing attention to our hobby/market. Directly there is no correlation to a silver age highest graded book and the average ga book, like, say, catman 7…but maybe indirectly it further bolsters comic books and values and confidence . Or maybe not. 

On 8/21/2021 at 12:52 PM, Crowzilla said:

Lemme fix the punctuation for you 

Logical fallacy:  The sale of this book has nothing to do with Golden Age  

On 8/21/2021 at 1:32 PM, drmanhattanite said:

At this point its already the record for AF15...do you all expect the hammer price on this 9.6 to trickle down to new records for every grade, from .5 up?

I think it will, but in my own perspective it really shouldn't because these 9.2 and up copies are scarce and hardly ever comes up in the market that they should be placed in a separate league of their own.  There is quite a bit of supply for the rest of the "lower graded ones" that are up for the pickings as we speak.

Edited by Dark Knight