• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF 9.6 coming to auction
7 7

704 posts in this topic

On 9/9/2021 at 12:56 PM, Chicago Boy said:

Detective 27 9.2 says "Hold My Beer "

Unlike the AF #15 (with 3 others (4 total) in 9.6 and formerly a 9.4) the Tec is now holding a 150 year old scotch, not a beer. 🤣😂🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Betty-Bates

On 8/21/2021 at 10:23 AM, G.A.tor said:

I will add some hearsay and opinion :

this 9.6 was at one time a cgc 9.4...I'm told it has zero shot at a 9.8 ...so that suspicion shouldn't be part of anyone's equation...

I'm pretty sure that this is the same book that was auctioned off at Sotheby's in the mid-1990s. I went to the preview to see the book in person. If memory serves, I think it sold for for $40,000.

I know it has changed hands multiple times since then. It's been easy to track because it has some very identifiable characteristics.

What a sale! That was fun to watch.

On 9/9/2021 at 12:57 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I totally get that.  But I'm just happy that a book based on a characters enduring popularity has super ceded the 'historical 1st superhero' book

I for one can tell you that Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck is not all too pleased with this trend!  :preach:

Edited by Pantodude

On 9/9/2021 at 12:52 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

It will always be a debate between the Big 3 AC1, TEC27 and AF15. AF15 cannot win it since there are no 9.6 of the 2 other books and if there was they would probably break 8$-10$ million dollars or near that.

This is why it can't ever be an apples to apples. You have popularity/demand on spidey's side with supply going against him. On the other hand you have supply strongly on the side of Superman Batman with a slight demand/popularity disadvantage (but only in relation to spidey's AF15). 

This would be easy if supply were even. Even easier if all three first appearances were relatively the same age. 

Imo the the closest to a true apples to apples comparison would be if a 9.8 AF15 were to auction relatively close to a Tec27 9.4 or AC1 9.2 or something. But the chances of that happening are zippo!

Edited by MGsimba77

On 9/9/2021 at 1:58 PM, MGsimba77 said:

This is why it can't ever be an apples to apples. You have popularity/demand on spidey's side with supply going against him. On the other hand you have supply strongly on the side of Superman Batman with a slight demand/popularity disadvantage (but only in relation to spidey's AF15). 

This would be easy if supply were even. Even easier if all three first appearances were relatively the same age. 

Imo the the closest to a true apples to apples comparison would be if a 9.8 AF15 were to auction relatively close to a Tec27 9.4 or AC1 9.2 or something. But the chances of that happening are zippo!

I think it gets very close to apples to apples when you can apply the same label like "One of the Top 5 Copies Known" and ignore the grades.  That seems to be what has happened here.

On 9/9/2021 at 12:12 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Now it will be all if's maybe the price would have been higher is their website actually worked.

the live bidding worked fine...there was no issue with bidding

On 9/9/2021 at 2:01 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

I am man enough to admit that Spidey may well be the #1 hero now with Batman close behind.

So a 5.0 tec 27 recently sells for 1.2mil and a 5.0 af15 recently sold 75k. How are you correlating that spidey is #1 hero (not saying he’s not) but the sale of a 9.6 af15 doesn’t affect that at all?

On 9/9/2021 at 3:51 PM, G.A.tor said:

So a 5.0 tec 27 recently sells for 1.2mil and a 5.0 af15 recently sold 75k. How are you correlating that spidey is #1 hero (not saying he’s not) but the sale of a 9.6 af15 doesn’t affect that at all?

FWIW, there are something like 4 Superman Books (3 Actions #1s and the best Superman #1) and 4 Batman books (the 4 best Detective 27s) that would sell for more than 3.6 million. A few of those would sell for 2x/3x or more.