• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF 9.6 coming to auction
7 7

704 posts in this topic

On 9/10/2021 at 3:35 PM, HighVoltage said:

Rob - I can remember when you started your comic tracking project & started noting the significant sales over $100K... and just the sheer craziness of even thinking about comics selling over that 'magic' valuation. Now we are talking about $3.6M for a Spidey...!
So AF15 holds the title for now, but I'm sure one of the big Action 1s or 'Tec 27s would thump it significantly, and I say this as a huge Spidey fan.

I remember too -- just nuts !

On 9/10/2021 at 4:09 PM, namisgr said:

I went two consecutive years to their once-a-year New York City auction.  The one in 2012 featured the Billy Wright GA collection and the Curator Fantastic Four run consigned by Dan Jurgens, the one in 2011 the Gary Dahlberg/Twin Cities SA collection.  Everyone in the audience interested in bidding was given a paddle with identifier number on it, as a typical antiques auction runs.  The best part, of course, was being able to see all of the comics.  While the most valuable were locked into plexiglass showcases, the bulk of the runs were kept in boxes and to see books all one needed to do was ask for them.  Another cool aspect was getting to meet the heirs as they became truly aware of the reverence for their family member's collection by the hobby and, of course, the extraordinary monetary value.  Bids were flying from the floor, the internet, and relayed by staff on their phones.

Good times.

@jaybuck43 and I went in 2016 during one of the art sessions and you are right, it was a fun experience to go.  I wonder if he can explain it further but Jay got there about a half hour before I did and was able to log me in if I recall correctly. 

On 9/10/2021 at 6:23 PM, Buzzetta said:

@jaybuck43 and I went in 2016 during one of the art sessions and you are right, it was a fun experience to go.  I wonder if he can explain it further but Jay got there about a half hour before I did and was able to log me in if I recall correctly. 

Yes I had you preregistered, so when you came in they just handed you your piece of paper (with your bidder number written on it). Wasn’t a difficult process. Just asked for my ID, pulled up my account and gave me a copy of the catalog along with my paper. They only had one piece of art in the room (the Norseman) which you could check out during the intermission between books and art. Good times, I hope they come back to nyc sometime soon.

It seems to me the argument about popularity vs high bidding price is comparing apples nd ranges. It strikes me that the number of AC1 in pristine condition has been pretty much sorted out based on time since publication as well as print run in the depression.  The AF15 strikes me as a book with unknown high grade copies since the warehouse and private   collections haven't really been accounted for completely. The number of AF15's in the wild is often estimated at 10,000 in all grades . I don't see estimates of AC1 in the wild being of any substance at all. Yet, I'm inexperienced at this.  I do have to wonder what would happen if 20 9.6's of the AF15 suddenly appeared. Where do you suppose the value would come down?  I don't anticipate that happening with AC1. 

On 9/11/2021 at 10:06 AM, Glassman10 said:

It seems to me the argument about popularity vs high bidding price is comparing apples nd ranges. It strikes me that the number of AC1 in pristine condition has been pretty much sorted out based on time since publication as well as print run in the depression.  The AF15 strikes me as a book with unknown high grade copies since the warehouse and private   collections haven't really been accounted for completely. The number of AF15's in the wild is often estimated at 10,000 in all grades . I don't see estimates of AC1 in the wild being of any substance at all. Yet, I'm inexperienced at this.  I do have to wonder what would happen if 20 9.6's of the AF15 suddenly appeared. Where do you suppose the value would come down?  I don't anticipate that happening with AC1. 

there are certainly some hg copies still out there in fortresses or mylars, or maybe even saran wrap (am I dating myself lol )

and you  are correct, I'd guess there are 1000's of ungraded af15's out there...action 1's?....maybe 200-250 out there, including the ones that are certified (we will never know)...

that was kind of my point, what does a 3.6 mil bid on a comic say about a characters popularity when compared to another?...like you, I don't think a thing (your apples to oranges!)

Edited by G.A.tor

On 9/10/2021 at 5:08 PM, G.A.tor said:

I like your other personas better lol

spidey may very well be the most popular in the world. I’m not trying to show anything other than Batman outsells Spider-Man in current comics, licensed t shirts and legos …that’s all. 

Show me the stats please I’d like to see that because Spiderman hands down is the most popular character on earth 

Where are these 10000 copies of AF15 please share I’d love to know since that book came out 1962 at the dawn of marvel silver age and there is now way that many exist 

‘There are only 4 9.6s ……

Edited by Subby1938

On 9/11/2021 at 5:53 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

It it over sold for 3.6$ million a new world record end of story and I was one that was not happy since the live feed did not work. Some say Batman some say Spiderman is the most popular I believe they are both the kings of the entire hobby.

A1 is still THE book. Always has always will.

On 9/11/2021 at 1:38 PM, Subby1938 said:

Show me the stats please I’d like to see that because Spiderman hands down is the most popular character on earth 

Where are these 10000 copies of AF15 please share I’d love to know since that book came out 1962 at the dawn of marvel silver age and there is now way that many exist 

‘There are only 4 9.6s ……

Kind of undermines the argument that he’s the most popular when you don’t get his name right.

On 9/11/2021 at 9:27 PM, tth2 said:

When did this thread get taken over by 12 year old girls arguing over whose favorite teen idol is more popular?

Unless you get a cut of the licensing deals, who gives a :censored:?

David Cassidy greatest teen idol of all time.  Justin Bieber #2.  Davy Jones #3. Scott Baio #4