• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF 9.6 coming to auction
7 7

704 posts in this topic

On 9/10/2021 at 10:47 AM, Batmanis#1 said:

And you had to trust it was no modified in any way. You had to have guts to put down 40k back in 1993.

Well, you had some big names grading the books for Sothebys, plus Sothebys standing behind the book, so it was a lot safer than buying in a direct private sale from an individual dealer and relying on the dealer's grading.

On 9/10/2021 at 7:55 PM, Glassman10 said:

This auction should have an asterisk after the final price.  Two irregularities jump at me. The first being the curious upgrade of it's CGC rating and the second surrounding the crash of the Heritage site during the live auction. It may be the Roger Maris record auction until something with cleaner records passes it. 

Mike, is that you?

On 9/10/2021 at 9:23 AM, tth2 said:

Well, you had some big names grading the books for Sothebys, plus Sothebys standing behind the book, so it was a lot safer than buying in a direct private sale from an individual dealer and relying on the dealer's grading.

And, during the Sotheby’s era, restoration was touted as a way to IMPROVE your books.  It was a gambit or a attempt to legitimize restoration in conics same as it is in other Sotheby’s collecting genres. 

Yes it took cojones in spending 40K on a comic book back, it’s the same today, spending more than anyone ever has for a stupid comic book is just crazy.  Reminds me of the Steve Jobs Apple ads;  

Here’s to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes… the ones who see things differently — they’re not fond of rules… You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can’t do is ignore them because they change things… they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.
— Steve Jobs, 1997

Edited by Aman619

Weren't many or most of the White Mountains first introduced at this auction ? Not sure if I'm remembering it right. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 9/9/2021 at 4:38 PM, G.A.tor said:

You came to that conclusion after the 9.6 sold for 3.6. Did you think that before? 
just curious. He may well be the most popular. Would be interesting how we could measure that hm 

my brother in law, who is japanese and lives there, said spiderman is the most popular and well known character there. more than superman or batman, for what it's worth. 

On 9/10/2021 at 7:52 AM, jimjum12 said:

Weren't many or most of the White Mountains first introduced at this auction ? Not sure if I'm remembering it right. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Yes the white mountain AF 15 went to auction and sold for $40k.

Double FMV at the time, it was a big deal.

On 9/10/2021 at 10:18 AM, alexgross.com said:

my brother in law, who is japanese and lives there, said spiderman is the most popular and well known character there. more than superman or batman, for what it's worth. 

He's been the most popular there since the late 1970's.  Spidey is king world wide I would guess.  While I was in Israel I saw more of Spidey than anything else.

On 9/10/2021 at 8:40 AM, G.A.tor said:

Comics are upgraded all the time. 
And if you were a serious bidder for this book you registered as a phone bidder or were there live in person. No one seriously interested in this book would rely on internet bidding. No asterisk needed (imo)

If we're adding asterisks to every book that has been upgraded, then... that's a lot of asterisks.

Also, the issues with the live stream wouldn't have artificially inflated the price (requiring an asterisk, I guess) it would have artificially lowered the price by depriving some unknown bitcoin millionaire the ability to bid $50,000,000

Well, you had some big names grading the books for Sothebys

Individual grades on the White Mountain Amazing Fantasy 15 - Sotheby's auction June 1993:

Gary Carter - 94/ Joe Dungan - 92/ Bruce Edwards - 94/ John Hauser - 98/ Pat Kochanek - 92/ Jim Payette - 94/ Joe Vereneault - 98/ Jerry Weist - 98

image.thumb.jpeg.3067c6dff5272cba420a1e6c8dbe78d3.jpeg

On 9/10/2021 at 1:50 PM, DanCooper said:

Individual grades on the White Mountain Amazing Fantasy 15 - Sotheby's auction June 1993:

Gary Carter - 94/ Joe Dungan - 92/ Bruce Edwards - 94/ John Hauser - 98/ Pat Kochanek - 92/ Jim Payette - 94/ Joe Vereneault - 98/ Jerry Weist - 98

image.thumb.jpeg.3067c6dff5272cba420a1e6c8dbe78d3.jpeg

Joe V...Sparkle City roots?

On 9/10/2021 at 1:24 PM, rob_react said:

I always loved Jerry Weist's description of opening the White Mountain Amazing Fantasy 15 and audibly hearing the pages separate. The book was truly unread. 

Rob - I can remember when you started your comic tracking project & started noting the significant sales over $100K... and just the sheer craziness of even thinking about comics selling over that 'magic' valuation. Now we are talking about $3.6M for a Spidey...!
So AF15 holds the title for now, but I'm sure one of the big Action 1s or 'Tec 27s would thump it significantly, and I say this as a huge Spidey fan.

On 9/10/2021 at 7:39 AM, G.A.tor said:

Not comics  or licensed t shirts. Those 2 are pretty big indicators in the comic world (which hero you read, which hero you wear). In the general public , no idea, Spider-Man might sell more merch, I’ve never seen a comparison across all categories.  Lego sells more bm vs spidey too…but marvel lego far and away sell more than dc 

Blowing way too much hot air trying to show any DC character is bigger than Spidey. Not happening . He is the biggest and the sale is exclamation point . Could care less if Bats or Sup came out in 30s.  Makes zero diff and you wait until generations are bridged by Disney between Peter and Miles. To the moon and beyond 

On 9/10/2021 at 3:35 PM, HighVoltage said:

Rob - I can remember when you started your comic tracking project & started noting the significant sales over $100K... and just the sheer craziness of even thinking about comics selling over that 'magic' valuation. Now we are talking about $3.6M for a Spidey...!
So AF15 holds the title for now, but I'm sure one of the big Action 1s or 'Tec 27s would thump it significantly, and I say this as a huge Spidey fan.

Oh it's crazy. Every one of these Heritage auctions has 10-15 books selling for $100,000+ It's nutty!

Anyone been to Heritage in Dallas? I know Rob has he lives on the floor:grin:. My son and I did in 2011 to view my win (only 6 hours away). White glove treatment we felt special. Had 2 chairs set up for us and a nice agent brought the book for viewing. We left without the book to save the sales taxes (shipping v. picking it up and THAT was tough). I'm sure that's changed now. Very nice experience. :smile:

Edited by peewee22

On 9/10/2021 at 3:50 PM, peewee22 said:

Anyone been to Heritage in Dallas? I know Rob has he lives on the floor:grin:. My son and I did in 2011 to view my win (only 6 hours away). White glove treatment we felt special. Had 2 chairs set up for us and a nice agent brought the book for viewing. We left without the book to save the sales taxes (shipping v. picking it up and THAT was tough). I'm sure that's changed now. Very nice experience. :smile:

I went two consecutive years to their once-a-year New York City auction.  The one in 2012 featured the Billy Wright GA collection and the Curator Fantastic Four run consigned by Dan Jurgens, the one in 2011 the Gary Dahlberg/Twin Cities SA collection.  Everyone in the audience interested in bidding was given a paddle with identifier number on it, as a typical antiques auction runs.  The best part, of course, was being able to see all of the comics.  While the most valuable were locked into plexiglass showcases, the bulk of the runs were kept in boxes and to see books all one needed to do was ask for them.  Another cool aspect was getting to meet the heirs as they became truly aware of the reverence for their family member's collection by the hobby and, of course, the extraordinary monetary value.  Bids were flying from the floor, the internet, and relayed by staff on their phones.

Good times.

Edited by namisgr

On 9/10/2021 at 5:39 AM, G.A.tor said:

Not comics  or licensed t shirts. Those 2 are pretty big indicators in the comic world (which hero you read, which hero you wear). In the general public , no idea, Spider-Man might sell more merch, I’ve never seen a comparison across all categories.  Lego sells more bm vs spidey too…but marvel lego far and away sell more than dc 

Spidey sells the most web spinners, Batman sells the most Batman masks. 

On 9/10/2021 at 3:46 PM, Subby1938 said:

Blowing way too much hot air trying to show any DC character is bigger than Spidey. Not happening . He is the biggest and the sale is exclamation point . Could care less if Bats or Sup came out in 30s.  Makes zero diff and you wait until generations are bridged by Disney between Peter and Miles. To the moon and beyond 

I like your other personas better lol

spidey may very well be the most popular in the world. I’m not trying to show anything other than Batman outsells Spider-Man in current comics, licensed t shirts and legos …that’s all.