• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF 9.6 coming to auction
7 7

706 posts in this topic

On 7/19/2021 at 3:42 PM, Pantodude said:

Hmm.  Maybe, just maybe, so that they could sell them on short notice if the need should arise while also ensuring the highest sales price?   I'm thinking a sudden need for money or just to capitalize on an irresistable, possibly short-term market opportunity (sudden really nice uptick on book value), without having to wait to send/slab with CGC.   That just two reasons, which assumes one tends to get more bang for their book with a slabbed vs raw book, especially above low grades (a lil bird told me that's true).  Pay me, and I can give you more reasons.  (thumbsu

FWIW, your quotes got mixed up, the question was asked by lou not me. FWIW. 

Edited by jcjames

That book is nice enough to get a 9.8 based on the scan. There will be at least a couple of BSD's that are competing for this to own the only 9.8, obviously some risk with a resub but I'm betting this book is nice enough to take a chance on. It's going to break the AC1 record and it probably won't be close 2c

On 7/19/2021 at 3:42 PM, Pantodude said:

Hmm.  Maybe, just maybe, so that they could sell them on short notice if the need should arise while also ensuring the highest sales price?

As someone who likes to keep most his books raw I've pondered this exact question, and here's my rationale for not slabbing them now - If I choose to slab them when I want to sell them I won't question whether or not I submitted them during one of CGC's "tight" grading periods because I'll be ready to sell them. If I slab a bunch of books now that I may not sell for 10 years I'll have "slabber's regret" every time I hear of CGC going through a slightly "loose" grading period. :smile:

From an insurance standpoint I suspect it will be easier to get FMV for slabbed books (versus raw books to which you've assigned grades) should you ever need to file a claim, and I plan to call CIS soon to ask them this exact question since we're in such a crazy market.

On 7/18/2021 at 10:20 PM, lou_fine said:

What I don't understand is why in the world would any comic book collector want to get their any of their raw books graded if they are not yet planning on selling them

[this time, replying to the correct person!]  Hmm.  Maybe, just maybe, so that they could sell them on short notice if the need should arise while also ensuring the highest sales price?   I'm thinking a sudden need for money or just to capitalize on an irresistable, possibly short-term market opportunity (sudden really nice uptick on book value), without having to wait to send/slab with CGC.   That just two reasons, which assumes one tends to get more bang for their book with a slabbed vs raw book, especially above low grades (a lil bird told me that's true).  Pay me, and I can give you more reasons.  (thumbsu 

Edited by Pantodude

It's a beautiful book and I have not doubt Scott has a good reason to acquire the capital. I did cringe a bit seeing the back top edge, CGC really needs to smooth out their inner well issues.

And for those of you wondering why don't raw collectors slab everything , I think they are safer outside a CGC holder IMHO.

As much as I’d love to see it, I can’t see it beating the AC1 record. 

Yes it’s better value, Spidey is way hotter than Superman, Marvel over DC but it’s just not a scare enough book to  beat it. 
of course I may be completely wrong and not can’t wait to see how this plays out. 

On 7/19/2021 at 8:13 PM, LordRahl said:

That book is nice enough to get a 9.8 based on the scan. There will be at least a couple of BSD's that are competing for this to own the only 9.8, obviously some risk with a resub but I'm betting this book is nice enough to take a chance on. It's going to break the AC1 record and it probably won't be close 2c

Right--if it were already slabbed 9.8 I could see people bidding 9.8 value, but with it slabbed 9.6 I wonder if the label chasers will still away? Unless you're talking about more knowledgeable collectors who see the potential for a resub and think this is a bargain, which I'm skeptical of considering the huge amount of cash involved.

On 7/20/2021 at 10:09 AM, bpc3qh said:

Right--if it were already slabbed 9.8 I could see people bidding 9.8 value, but with it slabbed 9.6 I wonder if the label chasers will still away? Unless you're talking about more knowledgeable collectors who see the potential for a resub and think this is a bargain, which I'm skeptical of considering the huge amount of cash involved.

if bumped to 9.8 it just takes 2 bidders to go thru the roof and it would

On 7/20/2021 at 2:37 PM, Mmehdy said:

if bumped to 9.8 it just takes 2 bidders to go thru the roof and it would

Sure, but that won't be this auction, right? We'd have to go around again. This particular sale, then, won't top AC 1; if it does get to 9.8, and is the only 9.8, then maybe.

On 7/20/2021 at 3:15 PM, bpc3qh said:

Sure, but that won't be this auction, right? We'd have to go around again. This particular sale, then, won't top AC 1; if it does get to 9.8, and is the only 9.8, then maybe.

It depends on who wants it and who's bidding. 3.5 million is pocket change in the world of collectibles and the 9.6 AF 15's are as scarce as the top copies of AC 1 .... and Spider-man is WAY more popular than Supes. Times change .... see Single Series # 20 for an example. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 7/16/2021 at 11:27 AM, Rosland said:

From a very recent Heritage email:

The #1 registry set of Amazing Spider-Man, featuring a CGC 9.6 copy of Amazing Fantasy #15.

Oh wow, so it's Scott's collection from Colorado Comics. Well, he did tell me several years ago he was getting rid of his high grade FF's to buy like a vacation house in the mountains or something. I guess he's going full tilt on selling if he's letting go of his AF15 and entire spidey collection as well. Should be a very nice vacation home haha.

On 7/20/2021 at 10:09 AM, bpc3qh said:

Huge amount of cash is relative. $50 bucks might be a huge amount of cash if you're deadass broke and $3.5M doesn't mean much to someone like Kylie Jenner. I'm using Jenner and not Bezos as an example because everyone seems to like using Bezos. Point being there are a lot of rich people out there and all it takes is 2 of them to think this will resub to a 9.8, which isn't all that unlikely given how nice of a 9.6 that appears to be. The best of the best chasers at these levels can afford $3.5M without batting an eye, there are apparently people out there throwing away $40K on Iron Man 38's or whichever number IM that was where the first 9.8 sold for absolutely silly money. I know that's "only" $40K but that money was literally thrown away as that book now sells for a few hundred. At least if you overpay for THE marvel book to have now, you have a reasonable chance that it's value will continue to climb until it catches up with whatever you overpaid by.

On 7/20/2021 at 5:14 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Well, maybe two nice vacation homes lol. Living in Aspen ain't cheap!

More like a vacation home and a lifelong vacation to spend there!

If ( and it’s a very big if ) this breaks the record, is there an automatic spike in other ASM issues or not ?

We all know ASM is the flagship most collected book so if AF15 becomes the  valuable is there any trickle down from this do we think ?