• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goldin Auctions Enters the Market
10 10

354 posts in this topic

On 9/17/2021 at 3:12 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, looks like it already did as it's now sitting at $1.01M dollars with a total of 13 bids to date so far.  (thumbsu

Hey Dom;

Unlike Heritage which clearly specifies the hammer price as opposed to the price including the 20% BP, can you confirm that the amount of $1,010,000.00 that we are currently seeing (for now that is) is the so-called hammer price with a further 20% to be added on top in order for us to get to the final result?  ???

Yeah it was at $950K when I posted.

On 9/17/2021 at 6:12 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, looks like it already did as it's now sitting at $1.01M dollars with a total of 13 bids to date so far.  (thumbsu

Hey Dom;

Unlike Heritage which clearly specifies the hammer price as opposed to the price including the 20% BP, can you confirm that the amount of $1,010,000.00 that we are currently seeing (for now that is) is the so-called hammer price with a further 20% to be added on top in order for us to get to the final result?  ???

It is 20% in addition to the current bid. I apologize for not explaining that clearly. We are working on a few platform currently where that will be a feature from my understanding. But you are right it is not currently shown in the hid.

But yes 20% on top of the current bid.  

On 9/17/2021 at 6:50 PM, bpc3qh said:

Why should we be motivated to work with Goldin when someone in your position doesn't think to check this board, or even do a forum-wide search for "Goldin"? The attention to detail seems lacking, when this is supposed to be such a big deal.

As I said it was an oversight on my part and I really am very sorry I missed this thread. When the auction went live I did make a post in the business promo section. The past month has been the busiest of my life prepping this first auction and getting ready for the next. It is not a simple process to build out 3 totally new sectors at the same time. 

You should work with me because I am going to be the most available and easy to deal with consignment director you have ever used. I'm going to get you the absolute best rates I can, and were going to market the you know what out of your books to our existing bidder base that spends over 300 million dollars a year (and counting)  with us. :)

Edited by domuhnator
Boards didn't like a word I used.

On 9/17/2021 at 6:50 PM, bpc3qh said:

Why should we be motivated to work with Goldin when someone in your position doesn't think to check this board, or even do a forum-wide search for "Goldin"? The attention to detail seems lacking, when this is supposed to be such a big deal.

At the end of the day whether they write forum posts or this or that doesn’t matter all that much apart from promotion potentially helping prices, because it boils down to the prices achieved.   Not much else really matters because when you are selling a 100k book you are going to send it to where you believe you will net the most money, plain and simple.

Clearly they are trying to buy some market share by having extremely competitive introductory rates and that’s all well and good.    The question becomes if they can achieve similar ending prices while offering those competitive rates.    If so they will gain market share regardless of whether they addressed this thread or not.   Results are going to matter more than feelings. 

Edited by Bronty

On 9/17/2021 at 3:50 PM, bpc3qh said:

Lots of new business's stumble in the beginning.   I don't know if I'll give them anything but I do know I'm not happy with two of the four  major auction houses and welcome the competition. 

On 9/18/2021 at 12:13 AM, tth2 said:

This seems unfair.  It's not like we have people from Heritage, Comiclink or Metropolis/CC posting here regularly.

Sure, maybe I was too harsh (it does look harsh re-reading it). I may just be extra-tough on Goldin, from whom I've bought a fair number of sports cards. But with this big of a player, better to be overly critical than under-critical.

On 9/18/2021 at 7:41 PM, Aman619 said:

Lots are closing…. I for one don’t like this extended bidding format.  Batman 1 is at 1.2 plus 20%. Not bad…

How long does their extended bidding goes becasue it sure seems to be much much longer than the 3 minutes that's in place for CC?  ???

On 9/18/2021 at 7:41 PM, Aman619 said:

Lots are closing…. I for one don’t like this extended bidding format.  Batman 1 is at 1.2 plus 20%. Not bad…

Yeah, looks like this is where it finished up at in terms of a $1.2M hammer price for a final price of $1.44M including the 20% BP juice.  (thumbsu

Although I am sure the Larson pedigree bumped this copy up a bit, but if this is indeed the new representative price for a CGC 8.0 graded copy of Bat 1, it leaves me wondering what the lowest grade would be for a copy to cross the 7-figure mark?  hm

Would a CGC 7.0 graded copy be able to hit the million mark, or would it have to be at least a CGC 7.5 grade in order to do it? (shrug)

On 9/18/2021 at 8:34 PM, domuhnator said:

30 minuets. Timer resets every time a new bid is placed.

On 9/18/2021 at 8:37 PM, Aman619 said:

There’s no reason for such a long wait… 

Especially when some boardies here even complained about the 3 minute extended bidding which CC has in place, and one which I actually have absolutely no problems with.  (thumbsu

I guess with some of the in-demand books, they do tend to go on a long time when there's a whole ton of those multiple 3-minute bidding sessions on a book.  Something which I am sure the consginors love, but not so much for the bidders.  :bigsmile:

Edited by lou_fine

I was on Goldin site from the time it ended at 10PM. I watched a total,of maybe 6 bids on 18 comics and it took over an hour of watching paint dry.  If I were bidding I’d sure want it to go quicker.  Maybe 3 minutes is too short if you are trying to keep up with many books you are bidding on… so 5 minutes? Ten minutes tops?  Also I don’t get why you can’t bid in the extended periods if you hadn’t placed a bid beforehand?  I get that this rule prevents unqualified bidders from jumping in and messing it up if Golding hasn’t verified identity and payment ability.  So have anyone who plans to bid only in the extended periods prequalify beforehand.  I mean, it isn’t just to squeeze one more bid increment out of each bidder who seriously is out to win the lot?

On 9/19/2021 at 11:34 AM, domuhnator said:
On 9/19/2021 at 11:27 AM, lou_fine said:

How long does their extended bidding goes becasue it sure seems to be much much longer than the 3 minutes that's in place for CC?  ???

30 minuets.

:whatthe:

On 9/19/2021 at 1:34 AM, Aman619 said:

I was on Goldin site from the time it ended at 10PM. I watched a total,of maybe 6 bids on 18 comics and it took over an hour of watching paint dry.  If I were bidding I’d sure want it to go quicker.  Maybe 3 minutes is too short if you are trying to keep up with many books you are bidding on… so 5 minutes? Ten minutes tops?  Also I don’t get why you can’t bid in the extended periods if you hadn’t placed a bid beforehand?  I get that this rule prevents unqualified bidders from jumping in and messing it up if Golding hasn’t verified identity and payment ability.  So have anyone who plans to bid only in the extended periods prequalify beforehand.  I mean, it isn’t just to squeeze one more bid increment out of each bidder who seriously is out to win the lot?

Its a carryover from the Card auctions. Normally they are 1000+ lots and There is quite literally not enough time to Bid on everything you want in 3 minuets or even 10 minutes. 

The pre bid to qualify is so that any item you are seriously interested in shows up on your page with bids. Its a lot easier to track items you have bid on vs ones on your watch list. They system is really set up for auction with many many more lots. I realize its overkill for an auction like the one last night. 

We have been working on a 100% Ground up platform that will launch later this year. It should be a little easier to use.