• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Action #1 CGC 8.0 and New Detective Comics #27 CGC 8.5 in the Census
4 4

511 posts in this topic

On 8/6/2021 at 1:57 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Any chance the recently graded Tec 29 CGC 9.4 :whatthe:  AND Tec 35 CGC 9.4 :whatthe: also came from same source ? Most likely.

I haven't had time to think about what copies those might be, but I've been guessing that they're from the same source. 

On 8/6/2021 at 2:48 PM, rob_react said:

I haven't had time to think about what copies those might be, but I've been guessing that they're from the same source. 

Off the top of my head the 29 has got to be a generic copy, right? It's not the Allentown, Church or Rockford, as far as I know. hm

On 8/6/2021 at 7:59 PM, rob_react said:

Off the top of my head the 29 has got to be a generic copy, right? It's not the Allentown, Church or Rockford, as far as I know. hm

Allentown is the graded 9.6. Rockford I doubt would hit 9.4

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 8/6/2021 at 3:00 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Allentown is the graded 9.6. Rockford I doubt would hit 9.4

There was discussion of the Rockford here and it's VF, so yeah. Unless it was a "finger-bends" 8.0

On 8/6/2021 at 10:47 AM, woowoo said:

No. I say when it comes to a low grade RESTORED Tec 27 the price would not be off by much if any :preach:

At those grade levels the effects of slight to moderate restoration may well be such that the grade would not change even if the restoration were simply considered additional damage, such as:  Like when a tear has been sealed, but it would get the same grade if the tear was still there and the added sealant was graded the same way as an accidental contamination of glue.  Or, when minor color touch fills in a crease but the grade would be the same even if the crease were still obvious and the ink from the color touch was on some other part of the book where it doesn't match the background printed ink.      

On 8/6/2021 at 1:48 PM, Mmehdy said:

By offering free grading for future CONSIGNED BOOKS ONLY they could increase their market share of auction material and possibly snag some higher quality material in the process. Now, especially if the CGC is going to charge 60K for a  A-1 grade fee.  This would be a company promotion to get increased business. Currently Ha is getting the best material on the market. Just compare the top books on the Aug-9 CC action to the Sept Ha auction...Ha is leaving them in the dust. It used to be years ago the CC and Ha were neck and neck with each auction having some truly great books, not in 2021. I also think Aman619 that you have failed to include in your comments these factors. What is CC actual stock of raw books?, that is company owned...if it is substantial they could in house grade and sell them at a much higher price rate, Secondly  they  control the priority of what gets graded first and offer a quicker time  grading period and thus a faster sale time to the the consignor especially in emergency sale situation  they control the assembly line. Further, they could really make a dent in the E-Bay sales of MCS and MHC by flooding the graded books on that and other platforms. There are multiple benefits for either Ha to outright buy CGC from Blackstone, or CC to buy the "other" guy for some type of vertical business integration ...which I assume you would have to acknowledge is a valid business practice. CC could be sitting on 1 million comic books, who knows.

The  other real possibly would be Mycomicshop which is in the same state and area to acquire the company. They and Chuck have the largest supply of ungraded comic books in the world...they could benefit too. MCS is a big time operation, probably the largest comic book shop employee wise in the world..they would benefit also from the vertical integration probably the most especially on their E-Bay sales by putting  a ton  graded books online...they could really do something in that market. One must remember that we are not taking a 500M CGC sale, we would be talking 1/10 that and sure MCS would not want to finance even 1/10 that but they could give a % of sales going to that total. I should really consult with them...LOL

Anyway, we really really have the best  legal "joints" out here in Cali land, its a damm smorgasbord,  so if you are even the the San Diego area...please give me a call, and we will light one up....cheers

White Widow ? :busy:

GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 8/6/2021 at 3:44 AM, Mr bla bla said:

I posit: that increasingly your action 1 will sell itself. And the grading houses will as a consequence chase the possibility to holder those few books which transcend the hobby.

And yet, CGC recently graded the biggest key from the biggest pedigree (and the biggest key from a top five or so one also) so far in the slabbed era and they haven't made so much as a peep about it yet.

No one has ever said anything about the most valuable CGC graded book in existence in 7 years. They will hype books if they can, but they're also happy to quietly grade three of the top 20 books in the hobby without so much as a peep. 

Edited by rob_react

On 8/7/2021 at 10:44 AM, Crowzilla said:

And yet, CGC recently graded the biggest key from the biggest pedigree (and the biggest key from a top five or so one also) so far in the slabbed era and they haven't made so much as a peep about it yet.

It's almost like some people get their books graded without planning to sell them or hype them.  Weird.

On 8/7/2021 at 1:36 PM, buttock said:

It's almost like some people get their books graded without planning to sell them or hype them.  Weird.

That's the point. CGC is aware of this. CGC used to hide books in the census for collectors. They're not in the business of hyping up every book they grade. The idea that they're going to chase books and give up grading fees for the prestige of grading them is not backed up by the evidence. The Tec 27 9.2 snuck into the census. The two books that are the focus of this thread showed up and I had to piece together confirmation that they were pedigree copies (including one of the most significant pedigree books in the hobby.) If they were looking for prestige these two books would be at the top of the list!

CGC isn't handing over grading fees any time soon. 

Change is apparently washing over this hobby right now with great speed. We have seen unprecedented 300% price corrections for many books and large market segments just during the spring. New auction houses are entering the market. CGC morphing into a Blackstone property. Worldwide attention, etc. I think it will be interesting to see how the relation pans out between the grading houses and auction houses in the future. The pressure is on. But we are at grading fees now for the very top books in the hobby at 60 K a pop. For 15 minutes of work. I think that certainly opens up some waters in which the competition can paddle. The big books will just continue to get bigger. Among these higher echelons and in this transforming market, change can happen fast. Even cgc should hold on to their hat and watch out in such environment.

I cant believe CGC can charge 60K to grade a book :whatthe: Holy carp !

I was under the impression the max charge was 3K, I think I saw that amount mentioned in a post a long time ago for walk-through (didn't know what that was either) and it stuck. That's why for me it was a no brainer to wave that fee. 60K ! F hell.

DA would have to spend 6 maybe 7 figures to have his entire collection graded. :o Maybe that's why he doesn't grade them.

I have never sent a single book to CGC (not even for a re-holder) nor did I have any idea of their pricing.

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 8/8/2021 at 12:29 AM, Gotham Kid said:

I cant believe CGC can charge 60K to grade a book :whatthe: Holy carp !

I was under the impression the max charge was 3K, I think I saw that amount mentioned in a post a long time ago for walk-through (didn't know what that was either) and it stuck. That's why for me it was a no brainer to wave that fee. 60K ! F hell.

Looks like you might have missed all of the discussion we had on this very topic back on Page 3 of this very thread here.  :gossip:

The max charge cap was indeed only $3K way back in the day before being bumped up to $5K several years ago.  With the latest price increase as of the end of April, the cap has now been removed and the max charge is now simply 3% of the estimated value of the book in question.  :censored:

BTW:  If I remember correctly, that $60K fee was for a book valued at $2M.  So, not very many books would be paying this kind of fee.  But if it did qualify, the real charge would probably be more like over $100K because with the way books are currently being graded, it could cost you very dearly if you dare to have a book graded without it being pre-screened for pressing at a minimum.  So, if it did go through both the pressing and grading process, you would now be looking at $120K (i.e. $60K or thereabouts for pressing and another $60K for grading) to have the book certified on the first go round.  :censored:  :censored:

Like I had pointed out, much more expensive than the 2.6% with a max cap of $2,600 for members or 2.75% with a max cap of only $2,750 per book for slabbing their high end books with the other guys across the street.  So, I totally agree with you that no way in heck will CGC be waving that fee because they feel that their brand is strong enough that submittors will continue to pay this huge difference for their label.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/5/2021 at 2:38 AM, Mr bla bla said:

In due time I predict, that the CGC will pay the owner of a such book to grade and holder it with the CGC certification-trademark. Not the other way around. For CGC to grade a mega grail is 15 minutes of work for them. And when scans of a such CGC'ed mega grail afterwards starts circulating on social media, auctions houses, hearsay etc. it carries a huge symbolical vaue for the grading house in question. It is a huge exposure of their grading-brand as it is tied to the most cherished books. This is simply a hugely effective way - symbolically - to dominate the competitors. 

Ummm................not exactly sure what kind of dream world you are living in if you truly believe that CGC will pay you to have the so-called honor of grading your books for you.  :screwy:

I believe they ALREADY feel that they dominate their competitors and have pretty much cornered the grading of the high end vintage collectible comic book marketplace to the point that they CAN charge these egregious prices for pressing and grading and submittors will continue to line up to have their books graded by them.  Only time will tell, but they indeed might just be correct in their belief here.  hm  (shrug)  :taptaptap:

On 8/5/2021 at 6:35 AM, tth2 said:

Boy I bet the owner of the 8.0 Action 1 and Church Tec 27 is kicking himself right now! 

If only he had waited for the guys at CGC to smoke the same crack you guys seem to be smoking, he could've saved himself a lot of grading fees!

Well, it's quite clear to me that the owner of this 8.0 Action 1 and Church Tec 1 was quite sober and at the top of his game as he manaed to get his books through while the $5K max cap was still in place.  (thumbsu

Defintely not totally drunk or zonked out on a bender thinking that CGC will be knocking on his door with wads of cash to give to him for the privilege of grading his books for him.  :takeit:  :screwy: