• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulp sales discussion thread
7 7

428 posts in this topic

ComicConnects new pulp auction is now live through Feb 10th. There are some great books in there if you keep in mind they grade very liberally. First Conan, First Conan cover, a full run of Operator #5, tons of great The Spider issues, Brundage Batwoman, a couple Spicy books, 10 more pages of Weird Tales, etc... quite a smorgasbord of pulpery.

On 1/17/2022 at 1:33 PM, Joshua33 said:

ComicConnects new pulp auction is now live through Feb 10th. There are some great books in there if you keep in mind they grade very liberally. First Conan, First Conan cover, a full run of Operator #5, tons of great The Spider issues, Brundage Batwoman, a couple Spicy books, 10 more pages of Weird Tales, etc... quite a smorgasbord of pulpery.

And only a couple have really jumped in the super early bidding.  The 1st Conan is already at $4400 and the high grade 1st Buck Rogers is at $950.  Nothing else has really jumped in the early going, but it just started.

https://www.comicconnect.com/browse/auction/18?sort_type=price_high

On 1/17/2022 at 2:55 PM, waaaghboss said:

Commicconnect still hasn't shipped books I won a month ago, might sit this one out 😄

A beat to dirt 1st buck rogers just went for 550 on ebay, curious what a nice copy will go for.

I'm just happy I've got a nicely presenting copy with good page quality, even if the spine is totally gone.  The book is so nice other than the spine that I wonder if it was in some sort of amateur bound volume at some point, where they just glued the book in at the spine.

Amazing_Stories_1928_August.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by OtherEric

On 1/17/2022 at 2:55 PM, waaaghboss said:

Commicconnect still hasn't shipped books I won a month ago, might sit this one out 😄

A beat to dirt 1st buck rogers just went for 550 on ebay, curious what a nice copy will go for.

There is a copy cracking off at the HA weekly auction at 4pm today as well. Should be a nice affordable copy. Not high grade, but coupon intact and a nice presenter.

On 1/17/2022 at 3:11 PM, Joshua33 said:

There is a copy cracking off at the HA weekly auction at 4pm today as well. Should be a nice affordable copy. Not high grade, but coupon intact and a nice presenter.

Had it on my watch list and forgot about the auction till you reminded me.  Was thinking of going for it in the live bidding, and it doubled instantly.  Don't think I'm ready to go north of a grand on a pulp yet, hammer price with BP 2.4k.  Nice book though.

1.jpg.6d49267951c0a3ff9fb1140dfb37ebdb.jpg

On 1/17/2022 at 7:53 PM, waaaghboss said:

Had it on my watch list and forgot about the auction till you reminded me.  Was thinking of going for it in the live bidding, and it doubled instantly.  Don't think I'm ready to go north of a grand on a pulp yet, hammer price with BP 2.4k.  Nice book though.

1.jpg.6d49267951c0a3ff9fb1140dfb37ebdb.jpg

I was surprised (even for HA) that this copy brought such a number.

On 1/17/2022 at 8:04 PM, Joshua33 said:

I was surprised (even for HA) that this copy brought such a number.

I think the issue actually has a lot of room to move.  I can see this becoming the AF 15 of pulps... relatively common compared to a lot of the other top tier books, but with one of the all time classic covers and the debut of one of the most famous characters. 

20220204_152414.thumb.jpg.6dfe8966811abc91da484ce3c16e249d.jpg20220204_152420.thumb.jpg.e732aafdec13c470d38c470858ebb4c9.jpg

Just in from commicconnect.  Whoever bagged it folded the bottom left corner and left it that way in the bag, and the cover was glued on poorly.  I can't find the original listing but I'm positive cover glued on wasn't noted.  I would hope the big sellers like CC and heritage would have better standards 

(shrug)

On 2/9/2022 at 3:44 PM, asimovpulps said:

That sale seems.....fishy hm Believe it's at least 3x any other previous sale I've ever seen....and CC has had its fair share of "interesting" auction results.

But hey, if anyone has a bunch of spare change and wants a copy let me know! :grin:

I wouldn’t call it fishy, personally.  It was a stunning copy.  I’m quite prepared to call it an outlier until we see what the next few sales of the issue are, though.

On 2/9/2022 at 5:20 PM, OtherEric said:

I wouldn’t call it fishy, personally.  It was a stunning copy.  I’m quite prepared to call it an outlier until we see what the next few sales of the issue are, though.

I'm with @asimovpulpson this one... that is a downright absurd number. The Marvel Science Stories 1 also shocked me at nearly $7,500 for an above midgrade copy.

On 1/21/2022 at 8:30 PM, htp said:

Apropos, they got back to me right away after I contacted them about those ridiculous shipping fees and said it was an error and knocked it down to base FedEx fee.

Got mine within about a week, cross border, with wrecked highways. Well packed, really good experience overall so far. Prices permitting, I'll try again :)

They still haven't fixed their shipping fee issue. Invoiced $111 for Fed-EX Ground for two pulps I won for a little over $600. The other options ran as high as $400 :facepalm:

I guess I'll have to call tomorrow.

On 2/10/2022 at 7:45 PM, rjpb said:

They still haven't fixed their shipping fee issue. Invoiced $111 for Fed-EX Ground for two pulps I won for a little over $600. The other options ran as high as $400 :facepalm:

I guess I'll have to call tomorrow.

I won some auctions today, kind of scared to check out and see what they'll cook up for shipping :whistle:

Strong prices on a lot of books over the last 2 days, a number I can probably find on ebay for a lot less.  Didn't get the 3 books I was going for, but got a few spiders, operator 5s, and weird tales.  In 2 months when I get them I'll be sure to post a few :cheers:

Edit checked out, and it's asking 115 for shipping fedex ground, I'm guessing that's something they'll lower if I call?

Edited by waaaghboss