• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulp sales discussion thread
7 7

428 posts in this topic

On 5/4/2024 at 9:10 AM, Surfing Alien said:

This is actually the latest Heritage Sale, and a much more comparable copy. The Ebay one actually has less creases and marring but a bit more missing. Still the point is that this is the Marvel Comics #1 of Marvel pulps and a fairly presentable copy can't pull $300. That says to me that all the comics guys aren't going running to buy pulps. Even if this is considered somewhat common, it would only take a fraction of a fraction of GA collectors to wipe out the supply.

Screenshot2024-05-04100341.thumb.jpg.5261c30d5aa15fd393a347c26b09a781.jpg

"VG minus"? Is this a Promise book? That looks G at best...

All I really see is that people coming into pulps are mimicking what seems to have been somewhat common pulp collecting practices, namely cover/genre chasing.  I wouldn't mind a decent copy of Marvel Science Stories Aug 38, but not at $300.  Wave a nice uncanny tales under my nose at that price and I'd probably have to go look for my wallet.

The prices for these Marvel pulps are mind-boggling to me.  Before Covid I would probably have slapped $20 here in my shop on the copy that sold for $264.  As for the copy that sold for $47... I routinely tossed pulps in that condition into the trash (to be honest... probably still would -- there's a point where something is so rough that, in my mind, it ceases to be a "thing").  These pulps are pretty common, and there is no such thing as a "rare" science-fiction pulp.  But these issues are now bringing the kind of money that only a few years ago was reserved for rare Saucys, Submarine Stories, or early Weird Tales!

On 5/5/2024 at 9:55 AM, Bookery said:

I routinely tossed pulps in that condition into the trash (to be honest... probably still would -- there's a point where something is so rough that, in my mind, it ceases to be a "thing").  

When I toss the comic dregs in the garbage I think, "Sometimes there is an end user!"

On 5/9/2024 at 6:58 PM, Darwination said:

I'm still confused about what level trimming has to get to to get purple.

Trimming never goes purple, but it makes me turn purple, even when I was a kid I hated resto. My father liked to tape pbs, I liked to peel it back off when I lobbied him for the book for my collection.  (I may qualify as the youngest vintage pb collector of all time). Resto is resto, grrr.  I saw a cgc 7.0 blue label with trimming noted.  I dont even trust that all trimming on pulps can be caught with their system.  Micro trimming has been applied to pulps just like comics, it slips past the most hardened veterans with gimlet eyes.  Unless you truly loathe it, and then it jumps out at you like a hairy bug trying to play dead in the corner...

On 5/9/2024 at 8:31 PM, PhantomLadyKiller said:

Trimming never goes purple, but it makes me turn purple, even when I was a kid I hated resto. My father liked to tape pbs, I liked to peel it back off when I lobbied him for the book for my collection.  (I may qualify as the youngest vintage pb collector of all time). Resto is resto, grrr.  I saw a cgc 7.0 blue label with trimming noted.  I dont even trust that all trimming on pulps can be caught with their system.  Micro trimming has been applied to pulps just like comics, it slips past the most hardened veterans with gimlet eyes.  Unless you truly loathe it, and then it jumps out at you like a hairy bug trying to play dead in the corner...

Trimming is not resto. It is destruction of the book. My peeve is that CGC said in early releases that trimming would keep grades in the Blue VG range but not noted as restoration and now there's higher grade blue labels with trimming noted. I guess it's part of the "Learning Curve" we'll hear about.

On 5/9/2024 at 8:22 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Trimming is not resto. It is destruction of the book. My peeve is that CGC said in early releases that trimming would keep grades in the Blue VG range but not noted as restoration and now there's higher grade blue labels with trimming noted. I guess it's part of the "Learning Curve" we'll hear about.

I had the same reaction.  The claim is that there was a lot of amateur, collector trimming for innocent reasons.  But even that is the same thing, to remove something from the book to make it present better.  I agree that it is destruction and can be graded as destruction IF noted.  I can't figure out the 7 for the trimmed book.  Maybe I haven't seen enough cgc grading when a comic looks VF but has a chunk out of the cover?  That seems like a cut and dried VG, not a F/VF.

ps Tape is resto.  I know I wont be backed on that, but also to bring up cgc, splain to me how a taped book gets a higher grade than the same book without tape, AND a blue label?

On 5/9/2024 at 6:22 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Seems like they are really focused on small overhang tears. Many would actually be considered production faults. If trimming is allowed as blue, I can see some folks trimming their overhangs to avoid the overhang tear stigma…:sorry:

On 5/10/2024 at 10:59 AM, Robot Man said:

Seems like they are really focused on small overhang tears. Many would actually be considered production faults. If trimming is allowed as blue, I can see some folks trimming their overhangs to avoid the overhang tear stigma…:sorry:

I was told that back in the day, the trimming was done so the book could stand right on a shelf and the overhangs wouldn't worsen. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 5/9/2024 at 5:47 PM, waaaghboss said:

1.thumb.jpg.187a71d775d3809c74b7586501e38f41.jpg
Surprised this went for 380.  There are a couple nicer presenting copies on ebay for $100, disregarding the trimming.

Yeah, I went ahead and ordered the nicest one of the eBay books for a nice, fat discount. Probably trimmed on one edge, but I'm not paying more for one right now. I will assume prices will drop when there are a few hundred on the census. Of course, there are a few thousand common Spideys and such on the census that go for more than their rarity should warrant, so who knows?

Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2024 at 7:58 PM, johnenock said:

Yeah, I went ahead and ordered the nicest one of the eBay books for a nice, fat discount. Probably trimmed on one edge, but I'm not paying more for one right now. I will assume prices will drop when there are a few hundred on the census. Of course, there are a few thousand common Spideys and such on the census that go for more than their rarity should warrant, so who knows?

Always been such a striking cover. Now is the time to buy that one. Every comic person I show it to wants it. Any nice mid grade + copy for $100-200 is a solid buy right now. Yeah, it was pretty common but it is getting locked up in collections. A real sleeper. Will it ever go to 4 figures? Probably in high grade but it will never reach the money that it would if it were on a comic book. And it will never be hard to sell if you wanted to.

By the way, that is crazy to get a blue label with all three edges trimmed…:pullhair:

Edited by Robot Man

Posted (edited)

It's very interesting how some issues have caught fire like this one and some FFMs mentioned on another thread.  I almost think their (relative) commonness (is that even a word, geez) kind of helps some of these covers out that way since people can actually get their hands on them? I don't think there will ever be a few hundred in the census, but maybe I'm totally clueless :D  I'm pretty sure there's a whole generation of pulp collectors (perhaps a small grop) that is just sitting on full runs or something like it of many of the SF/Fantasy titles (not that pulp collectors have typically been nuts about high grade but there are some).  Something like Astounding was a title a collector of modest means and patience could put together a full run of.  Weird Tales being a title that a collector of greater means could put together.  Putting together DFW or Adventure or something like that is a much more daunting task, as many of the issues just don't seem to be around (and an earlier timeframe for some of the issues).

Edited by Darwination