• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Our Recent Experience Selling Comics Through Mycomicshop
23 23

1,141 posts in this topic

On 3/6/2022 at 11:30 PM, marmat said:

I consigned many times from Spain and the process is very easy

You only have to ship the cómics to them after they accept the submission. Print the invoice and put it in the box with the comics

Yes, I recalled you told me about time ago. So the submission form is compiled in order to show them your offerings, and then if accepted one can send the books, if I understand well?

I finally sold a few lots of books in yesterdays auction and while the results were mixed, overall I'm happy.

Three of the lots sold for less than $48 so the minimum $12 fee applied, and the fourth sold for $63 so a $15 commision. 

Total sales were $163 so minus the $51 in fees, I recieved $112 , and it cost about $10 to ship the 34 books so I made just over $100.

I sent them ten lots total but split them up so they wouldn't all be in the same auction. 

Lot 1 was a group of ten low grade Adventures featuring the Legion, most were Fair  to Good and one was missing a centerfold

Lot 2 was Batman The Cult 1-4 in Fine.  (These were bagged up unread and I thought were harshly graded)

Lot 3 was a BA Conan run of ten in Fine 

Lot 4 was a Superboy run in the early 200s and was the surprise star of the auction, finishing up over $60.

These are all fairly slow selling books and if I had them in a $3 box at a show, I doubt I'd have sold thirty of them. 

In the end, I moved thirty four slow selling books, got over $3 each for them and did it with minimal effort.  I have a few more lots up in the next couple of weeks and just sent about ten more lots for the future. 

As an aside, I'm directing these funds to pay for two books I won at the same auction and which I'll re-consign and sell for a thirty percent profit, then rinse and repeat. 

Edited by shadroch

I just recently sent 8 comics to MCS...these are all comics that I bought from them over the past two years. They graded most (all but one) of them significantly under the grade I bought them (eg. bought at 6.5, regraded at 5.5 or 5.0). So I just had them returned. I think I will hold off sending them issues I bought from them unless I get them CGC'ed. My experience with slabbing MCS raws is that CGC always grades a little higher, especially around the VF ranges.  I usually send MCS, comics that I bought elsewhere, with no grade. I know they tend to grade lower than most places but they usually grade them close to what I think they are. Overall, I have been pretty happy with their consignment service, especially the auctions

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 3/8/2022 at 11:52 AM, Ed Hanes said:

I just recently sent 8 comics to MCS...these are all comics that I bought from them over the past two years. They graded most (all but one) of them significantly under the grade I bought them (eg. bought at 6.5, regraded at 5.5 or 5.0). So I just had them returned. I think I will hold off sending them issues I bought from them unless I get them CGC'ed. My experience with slabbing MCS raws is that CGC always grades a little higher, especially around the VF ranges.  I usually send MCS, comics that I bought elsewhere, with no grade. I know they tend to grade lower than most places but they usually grade them close to what I think they are. Overall, I have been pretty happy with their consignment service, especially the auctions

Wonder if they're grading has tightened up?  While I understand grading will vary having most of the books regraded significantly tighter would bother me.

On 3/9/2022 at 1:57 AM, thehumantorch said:

Wonder if they're grading has tightened up?  While I understand grading will vary having most of the books regraded significantly tighter would bother me.

I have not been buying for quite some time but I have always been very satisfied with MCS "in house" grading.

Edited by vaillant

On 3/8/2022 at 10:52 AM, Ed Hanes said:

I just recently sent 8 comics to MCS...these are all comics that I bought from them over the past two years. They graded most (all but one) of them significantly under the grade I bought them (eg. bought at 6.5, regraded at 5.5 or 5.0). So I just had them returned. I think I will hold off sending them issues I bought from them unless I get them CGC'ed. My experience with slabbing MCS raws is that CGC always grades a little higher, especially around the VF ranges.  I usually send MCS, comics that I bought elsewhere, with no grade. I know they tend to grade lower than most places but they usually grade them close to what I think they are.

I held off on posting about this as more than one person was assuring everyone that the grades would go up when the items were completely logged in and scanned.  For me, that hasn’t turned out to be the case. 

I also hesitated to post because I anticipated that the reaction would be ‘well, you just don’t know how to grade’ or ‘you just need to learn to grade at MCS standards’

Funny thing is, the two Silver Age books I graded myself are the ones that came back the closest:  one I had graded as a VG/FN they graded as a VG+, the one I graded as VF+ they harshly graded as a VF- but still relatively close. 

What I find concerning is two of the books are cracked-out CGC books with the labels. Granted, I know CGC doesn’t always get the grade right, they certainly don’t have a monopoly on grading, and I do think one of the books was over-graded by CGC. Still, in the main, I think they get it pretty close. Both were CGC 8.5, one I downgraded to VF- the other I thought was correctly graded at VF+, maybe VF if you wanted to get super-strict about it. 

MCS graded the books FN- and FN+ respectively. 

One of the books I sent was a book graded by Bob Storms. Now Bob has a pretty good reputation for solid grading.  But, granted, even the best dealer may not get it spot-on all the time.  He had graded it as a NM-, I felt it was closer to VF+. 

MCS graded it as a FN

I also sent a book that I had purchased from Four Color Comics. I have had good and not-so-good experiences with their grading but I felt this book was solidly graded as a VF/NM 

MCS graded it as a FN+

I’m sorry, but this is just ridiculous.

My initial consignment with slabs went reasonably well so I thought I’d give them a try on consigning raw books but now I’m going to have to pay to have most of these raw books sent back to me - which will cut even more into what I can get back out of these books - because not even MCS’s rep for tight grading is going to compensate how much they slammed the grades on some of these books. 

Now I’m sure those who’ve given rave reviews about how they’ve gotten higher grades from CGC on raws they purchased from MCS will be ecstatic to read the above. 

But as a consigner, I’m their customer too and I don’t see how harshing grades this much works for me. 

I guess it depends on what your situation is. If you’re just a buyer, than this is great news. If your a flipper who’s picking up books for pennies on the dollar and taking this kind of haircut is still better than trying to get more in other venues, then this is probably fine too. 

But I’m just a collector who’s just trying to get as much back out of these books as I can. I’m not an expert, but I think I’m a reasonably good grader, a drop in a half- or even whole-grade I could understand. And I think Bob Storms knows what he’s doing, and CGC is reasonable good at grading too. 

Well, an expensive lesson learned I guess.  Raw consignment with them is definitely no longer an option for me. 

On 3/8/2022 at 6:21 PM, Number 6 said:

I held off on posting about this as more than one person was assuring everyone that the grades would go up when the items were completely logged in and scanned.  For me, that hasn’t turned out to be the case. 

I also hesitated to post because I anticipated that the reaction would be ‘well, you just don’t know how to grade’ or ‘you just need to learn to grade at MCS standards’

Funny thing is, the two Silver Age books I graded myself are the ones that came back the closest:  one I had graded as a VG/FN they graded as a VG+, the one I graded as VF+ they harshly graded as a VF- but still relatively close. 

What I find concerning is two of the books are cracked-out CGC books with the labels. Granted, I know CGC doesn’t always get the grade right, they certainly don’t have a monopoly on grading, and I do think one of the books was over-graded by CGC. Still, in the main, I think they get it pretty close. Both were CGC 8.5, one I downgraded to VF- the other I thought was correctly graded at VF+, maybe VF if you wanted to get super-strict about it. 

One of the books I sent was a book graded by Bob Storms. Now Bob has a pretty good reputation for solid grading.  But, granted, even the best dealer may not get it spot-on all the time.  He had graded it as a NM-, I felt it was closer to VF+. 

MCS graded it as a FN

I also sent a book that I had purchased from Four Color Comics. I have had good and not-so-good experiences with their grading but I felt this book was solidly graded as a VF/NM 

MCS graded it as a FN+

My initial consignment with slabs went reasonably well so I thought I’d give them a try on consigning raw books but now I’m going to have to pay to have most of these raw books sent back to me - which will cut even more into what I can get back out of these books - because not even MCS’s rep for tight grading is going to compensate how much they slammed the grades on some of these books. 

Now I’m sure those who’ve given rave reviews about how they’ve gotten higher grades from CGC on raws they purchased from MCS will be ecstatic to read the above. 

But as a consigner, I’m their customer too and I don’t see how harshing grades this much works for me. 

I guess it depends on what your situation is. If you’re just a buyer, than this is great news. If your a flipper who’s picking up books for pennies on the dollar and taking this kind of haircut is still better than trying to get more in other venues, then this is probably fine too. 

But I’m just a collector who’s just trying to get as much back out of these books as I can. I’m not an expert, but I think I’m a reasonably good grader, a drop in a half- or even whole-grade I could understand. And I think Bob Storms knows what he’s doing, and CGC is reasonable good at grading too. 

Well, an expensive lesson learned I guess.  Raw consignment with them is definitely no longer an option for me. 

@mycomicshop

One thing I have not seen in any of these last few posts was the prices realized.  The posters had a price in mind when they submitted.  If they thought a book was a VF and would garner $60, does it matter if they call it a Poor as long as it gets you the $60. 

I'm not hearing any stories of books bringing in a fraction of what the consigner wanted, just poor grades.  Are you happy with the money you got for the books, regardless of the grades?   I'd guess my happiness ratio is 95% per book.

On 3/8/2022 at 8:54 PM, shadroch said:

One thing I have not seen in any of these last few posts was the prices realized.  The posters had a price in mind when they submitted.  If they thought a book was a VF and would garner $60, does it matter if they call it a Poor as long as it gets you the $60. 

I'm not hearing any stories of books bringing in a fraction of what the consigner wanted, just poor grades.  Are you happy with the money you got for the books, regardless of the grades?   I'd guess my happiness ratio is 95% per book.

I wasn't stoked about a book that sold at auction in Oct. but those are the breaks, sometimes.  Otherwise, I've been very pleased.  Just sent 7 slabs last week and fingers are crossed.  

I can't speak to consigning raw books but I did receive a book last week that was graded NM and is barely VF, which was a new experience with MCS.  

On 3/8/2022 at 5:54 PM, shadroch said:

I was looking at consigning my listings at Buy-It-Now prices.  There’s no way these books will sell anywhere near what I would need to get out of them at the grades they assigned. 

And with these grades there’s no way I’m going to roll the dice on auctions. Glad you’re happy but from what I gather from your comments you’ve got way less into your books than I do. 

As much as it will hurt to pay the return shipping, I think that haircut is preferable to the bloodbath I’d take at auction. 

Edited by Number 6

On 1/25/2022 at 7:23 PM, Bird said:

thanks. I assume second bolded part meant before while, but I get the idea.

I wonder what my inner well will come up as, CGC QC or broken/damaged? I wish I could see the Master Comics 36 when it comes back, gonna be purty!

Hey Bird:   Did your book(s) with the inner well issue get sent to CGC by MCS?  If so, has CGC returned it to MCS yet?  I am asking because I have some books I sent to MCS in Nov that got sent to CGC for re-holder due to  Inner Well issue (Mechanical Error) that still have not come back from CGC. 

On 3/8/2022 at 7:09 PM, Number 6 said:

I was looking at consigning my listings at Buy-It-Now prices.  There’s no way these books will sell anywhere near what I would need to get out of them at the grades they assigned. 

And with these grades there’s no way I’m going to roll the dice on auctions. Glad you’re happy but from what I gather from your comments you’ve got way less into your books than I do. 

As much as it will hurt to pay the return shipping, I think that haircut is preferable to the bloodbath I’d take at auction. 

Why not price them as you wanted, and see if they sell. What is the rush to get your books back? 

On 3/8/2022 at 6:52 PM, shadroch said:

Why not price them as you wanted, and see if they sell. What is the rush to get your books back? 

Actually, now that I’ve gotten over the initial kick-in-the-nads, that’s actually probably not a bad idea. 

I’ve already paid to get the books there. And it’s possible in 10 months from now I’ll have to have some slabs sent back to avoid storage fees so I could just have them sent back then. 

I don’t have high hopes but we’ll see what happens. 

On 3/8/2022 at 8:21 PM, Number 6 said:

MCS graded it as a FN

MCS graded it as a FN+

There's no doubt in my mind that their raw grading has gotten extremely tight lately. I still consign with them and am overall very pleased with doing so but I'm quickly resetting my grade expectations. 

On 3/8/2022 at 8:54 PM, shadroch said:

I'm often shocked at some of the realized prices I get on books. Like books I couldn't move here for $5 will sell for $50+ in a weekly auction. It's wild. Of course, I've learned through lots of trial and error what books tend to sell really well on MCS and what books to keep out of auctions entirely.