• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Our Recent Experience Selling Comics Through Mycomicshop
23 23

1,141 posts in this topic

On 3/9/2022 at 12:35 PM, manetteska said:

A few of the larger downgrades are due to centerfold issues, as I did not fully check some before sending in.

A couple of them I have no idea on, but admittedly (see above), most were a front/back grade.

I'm curious about the one you graded VF that they graded as G+. Was this one of the centerfold issues? And what, exactly?

On 3/11/2022 at 5:42 PM, stippy52 said:

Don’t know if this has been asked but can you ship to MCS directly from CGC?

TIA

I know you can send books to MCS who will then send them to CGC for you. I don't know about CGC shipping other peoples books there. 

On 3/11/2022 at 4:50 PM, shadroch said:

I sent a box of twenty CGC books from Arizona to MCS in early March.  They recieved it on March 9th and all 20 books are now listed for sale. 

Just to give an idea of the time it tales from when they recieve the books. Raw books will obviously take longer.  

I think you're a special case... (You might be a VIP based on your descriptions.) Small potatoes people like me for instance... I think the average so far is about two weeks from reception.

On 3/11/2022 at 5:06 PM, stippy52 said:

Doing up a submission to CGC now. When asked for ship to address I was wondering if I could just send them straight to MCS

I think they mentioned that people have done this before. Since CGC gives you a heads up generally before they actually physically ship your books out, you would have time to fill out the Consignment Form so MCS is expecting the shipment. (Note that I'm not sure what would happen to any CGC screen rejects you would also have in that shipment though. I don't think those generally are listed in the shipment.)

I just sent 7 slabs last week and they're being finalized now.  However one of the slabs arrived with a meaty crack and is being sent to CGC for reholder.  Anyone have experience with how long that takes?  Normally, it wouldn't matter but it was the biggest money book of the group.  

Also!  Can you delay shipping when making orders?  A few items on my want list popped up but they're so cheap it's hard to justify the shipping cost.  Can I pay for those items but delay the shipping until I can make a bigger order? @mycomicshop

Edited by Beastfeast

On 3/11/2022 at 7:37 PM, Beastfeast said:

Also!  Can you delay shipping when making orders?  A few items on my want list popped up but they're so cheap it's hard to justify the shipping cost.  Can I pay for those items but delay the shipping until I can make a bigger order? @mycomicshop

Not currently, but working on that. Hopefully soon, but not "next week" soon.

On 3/11/2022 at 6:19 PM, ttfitz said:

I'm curious about the one you graded VF that they graded as G+. Was this one of the centerfold issues? And what, exactly?

That was a miss on my part. It was a golden age comic I bought years ago and I don’t think ever took it out of the bag. Their notes say “2 center wraps detached at single staple”. 

I bought it very cheap and that one actually sold thru MCS for a decent price considering. 

On 3/11/2022 at 6:27 PM, sckao said:

I think you're a special case... (You might be a VIP based on your descriptions.) Small potatoes people like me for instance... I think the average so far is about two weeks from reception.

I don't think that is the case.  Two weeks might be for raw books .

On 3/11/2022 at 6:06 PM, stippy52 said:

Doing up a submission to CGC now. When asked for ship to address I was wondering if I could just send them straight to MCS

Why not have MCS submit them for you? Ship them to MCS. 

On 3/9/2022 at 7:37 AM, Chief1332 said:

I considered selling a book to MCS. 

The first time I contacted them, they offered me 78% of what the last 8.5 blue label cgc sold for at auction.

The second time, they offered me 44%.  They said that the 8.5 sale may just be an outlier.

Oh, my book is a 9.0 blue label cgc with white pages vs the 8.5 with off white to white.

I won't be sending my book to them.

I wouldn't sell a book to MCS, especially a key or valuable book.  They're gonna offer less than you will likely realize as either a consignment book or a auction book as they're taking risk and have to put out funds and expect to have margin.  Consign it or place it in auction.

On 3/11/2022 at 9:27 PM, manetteska said:

That was a miss on my part. It was a golden age comic I bought years ago and I don’t think ever took it out of the bag. Their notes say “2 center wraps detached at single staple”. 

I bought it very cheap and that one actually sold thru MCS for a decent price considering. 

That's a pretty big drop for that in a book that you thought looked so nice otherwise - I mean, my Overstreet Guide to Grading Comics lists "centerfold loose or detached at one staple" as high as VG+. Sounds like the kinda book I try to look for - really nice with some defect I don't care much about that drops it way down, haha.

Thanks for the response, and glad it sold well for you.

On 3/11/2022 at 11:38 PM, ttfitz said:

That's a pretty big drop for that in a book that you thought looked so nice otherwise - I mean, my Overstreet Guide to Grading Comics lists "centerfold loose or detached at one staple" as high as VG+. Sounds like the kinda book I try to look for - really nice with some defect I don't care much about that drops it way down, haha.

Thanks for the response, and glad it sold well for you.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=55594194

On 3/12/2022 at 1:27 PM, manetteska said:

That is a pretty gorgeous book. As said, it probably depends on the grading criteria, especially on GA books.
Since the detachment of the centerfold (or even two centerfolds) was common with one-staple books, I guess it’s safe to encompass grades as high as FN/FN+ if the book is otherwise flawless.
If MCS criteria hammers this defect, customers will regardless be happy to purchase a stated VG/VG+ book especially if that is desirable and well priced.
I would have bought your book immediately considering it a FN+.

Edited by vaillant