• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WHERE'S WALDOMO?: OFFICIAL GAME THREAD
2 2

92 posts in this topic

On 9/19/2021 at 8:07 PM, Flee-Marquette said:

image.png.69d1acb7215d5b9684e2d6fb95c5e533.png

Flee. Fantastic job. Could you help me to understand how the clues guided you? I'm still really lost at how they all connect to the end.  I wouldn't have even gotten it with your final picture (would have chased down famous tombs in london).

Edited by bronze_rules

On 9/19/2021 at 10:42 PM, Flee-Marquette said:

It is the official source of the River Thames. 

Congratulations to Flee and thanks to everyone else for playing.

Flee.....please post your prize choice in this thread and then PM me an address I can send it to. (thumbsu

On 9/19/2021 at 11:49 PM, Domo Arigato said:

thanks to everyone else for playing.

Thank you for hosting this contest.  

Although it went fast , I enjoyed it. :golfclap:

On 9/20/2021 at 12:49 AM, Domo Arigato said:

Congratulations to Flee and thanks to everyone else for playing.

Flee.....please post your prize choice in this thread and then PM me an address I can send it to. (thumbsu

Thank you so much for hosting this contest and providing us with an entertaining diversion!  I will choose

option 4, because I am in need of some supplies.  I will PM you shortly.  Thanks again!  :foryou:

On 9/20/2021 at 10:22 AM, Flee-Marquette said:

Sure, here was my thought process in regards to the clues.

In the official rules, Domo said that the picture is somewhere on Earth.
Gut feeling is that it is not in the US, or he would have probably stated so.

Clues 1 and 2 - Not enough info to search with. Increased the exposure
of the upper right snippet and saw that the trees did not appear to be of
the evergreen or tropical variety. 

Clue 3 - After a lot of searching, determined that this was the WWII era 
searchlight emplacement in Shoeburyness England.  Began going
up and down every street in the area looking for matching clouds or trees. 

Friday between 7:52 and 7:53 Domo changed the color of the word "CLUE #"
from all blue to blue and red in the first 3 clues. Blue and Red are the primary
colors of the British flag. Significant?  Not sure.

Clue 4 - Not seeing any sidewalks or guard rails. Slightly out of focus like a
motion blur or lens distortion. Still looking in Shoeburyness.

Clue 5 - Still no evidence of a city street and the ground appears worn
or less green like a path.  The compass indicator tells me that the view 
is looking west, so the street direction could be North and South.

Clue 6 - Some blue sky is now showing. I had assumed that the sky would be
completely overcast because of the clouds in clue 1 and overall darkness of
the other squares. Beginning to feel that this in the country somewhere and
starting to expand the search to Stonehenge and castle ruins.

Clue 7 - More worn grass, still looking at landmarks and Shoeburyness.

Clue 8 - Quickly identified as the London Eye ferris wheel.  So 100% certain
it will be in England somewhere.
 Begin looking in the London area at the street view to
see if anything matched, but too many city details.

Clue 9 - Confirms that this view is in the country.  So what would Shoeburyness and
London have to do with the location? I began thinking that if the next clue brought
us to another city then maybe it is heading in the direction of the final location.
I started looking at cities further west and realized that the River Thames flowed
from the west. I kept zooming in on the map and "Followed" (Clue 3) the river to the west to
see where it went. It got more difficult because the river got smaller. (Clue 8 - "It grew
from small, to bigger in size").  When I got to the Official source of the River Thames, I
saw that there were no streets that went right by it.  I clicked on the Google Street view
man anyway and saw that hiking (?) trail called Wysis Way lit up blue.  I plopped the man
down on the part of the trail closest to the River Source and oriented the view to the west.
I immediately recognized the skyline, but it took me almost an hour to stand in the exact
spot and get everything lined up. 

The part in red above was the part I got. Man, we were just neck-and-neck right up to the finish line!

Brilliant deductions, Flee! :golfclap:

What threw me is how you all got Shoeburryness. I saw and searched mudflats and I was looking at the savannah in africa, thinking those were zebras on the horizon.  Or there was another site that had 'meeting of the mind' for wildlife preservation. That and thinking I was inside a lighthouse or some concrete and cast iron gazebo on a beach. I couldn't really see that object on bottom right sharp enough, to denote a military machine.  I should have also payed more attention to the extra (CLUE) colors -- I started looking at the pink color of the eye capsule, thinking it might denote number and borough. 

Anyways, thanks for the breakdown, very impressive.

Edited by bronze_rules

On 9/20/2021 at 7:22 AM, Flee-Marquette said:

Sure, here was my thought process in regards to the clues.

In the official rules, Domo said that the picture is somewhere on Earth.
Gut feeling is that it is not in the US, or he would have probably stated so.

Clues 1 and 2 - Not enough info to search with. Increased the exposure
of the upper right snippet and saw that the trees did not appear to be of
the evergreen or tropical variety. 

Clue 3 - After a lot of searching, determined that this was the WWII era 
searchlight emplacement in Shoeburyness England.  Began going
up and down every street in the area looking for matching clouds or trees. 

Friday between 7:52 and 7:53 Domo changed the color of the word "CLUE #"
from all blue to blue and red in the first 3 clues. Blue and Red are the primary
colors of the British flag. Significant?  Not sure.

Clue 4 - Not seeing any sidewalks or guard rails. Slightly out of focus like a
motion blur or lens distortion. Still looking in Shoeburyness.

Clue 5 - Still no evidence of a city street and the ground appears worn
or less green like a path.  The compass indicator tells me that the view 
is looking west, so the street direction could be North and South.

Clue 6 - Some blue sky is now showing. I had assumed that the sky would be
completely overcast because of the clouds in clue 1 and overall darkness of
the other squares. Beginning to feel that this in the country somewhere and
starting to expand the search to Stonehenge and castle ruins.

Clue 7 - More worn grass, still looking at landmarks and Shoeburyness.

Clue 8 - Quickly identified as the London Eye ferris wheel.  So 100% certain
it will be in England somewhere.  Begin looking in the London area at the street view to
see if anything matched, but too many city details.

Clue 9 - Confirms that this view is in the country.  So what would Shoeburyness and
London have to do with the location? I began thinking that if the next clue brought
us to another city then maybe it is heading in the direction of the final location.
I started looking at cities further west and realized that the River Thames flowed
from the west. I kept zooming in on the map and "Followed" (Clue 3) the river to the west to
see where it went. It got more difficult because the river got smaller. (Clue 8 - "It grew
from small, to bigger in size").  When I got to the Official source of the River Thames, I
saw that there were no streets that went right by it.  I clicked on the Google Street view
man anyway and saw that hiking (?) trail called Wysis Way lit up blue.  I plopped the man
down on the part of the trail closest to the River Source and oriented the view to the west.
I immediately recognized the skyline, but it took me almost an hour to stand in the exact
spot and get everything lined up. 

Nicely done, Flee.

I’d like to share my process as well.

Looked at the thread and saw Flee already won.

Devised plan to get Domo.

On 9/20/2021 at 1:20 PM, bronze_rules said:

What threw me is how you all got Shoeburryness.

I have no idea how onlyweaknesskryptonite got Shoeburyness from that first picture clue.

But then to post it in the thread for your competition.....I told him that was a mistake. :baiting:

I will post a rundown of the clues in this thread after I get the information organized.

On 9/20/2021 at 4:35 PM, Domo Arigato said:

I have no idea how onlyweaknesskryptonite got Shoeburyness from that first picture clue.

But then to post it in the thread for your competition.....I told him that was a mistake. :baiting:

I will post a rundown of the clues in this thread after I get the information organized.

I have toured a lot of old forts, bases, artillery fortifications, castles, etc on Google Earth . There are some amazing places. When I saw the structure I knew. Couldn't find the exact one as a lot of them didn't fair too well. The iron near the top is a LOT more rusted . Almost every military structure has subtle differences in how they are constructed. Also the view reminded me of the North Sea.   MOD History.. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MoD_Shoeburyness

On 9/20/2021 at 3:00 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I have toured a lot of old forts, bases, artillery fortifications, castles, etc on Google Earth . There are some amazing places. When I saw the structure I knew. Couldn't find the exact one as a lot of them didn't fair too well. The iron near the top is a LOT more rusted . Almost every military structure has subtle differences in how they are constructed. Also the view reminded me of the North Sea.   MOD History.. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MoD_Shoeburyness

So your major clue was that little green thing that at first looked like an artillery (though fuzzy) machine? I was going back and forth on whether it was a bench, but could swear there was a rod like nozzle with holes, that looked like a type of gun nozzle. What is that thing the image is inside? is it a gazebo or lighthouse (I started seeing hallucinatory images of bicycles in the iron bolts on top, and or numbers in the concrete like 183 something, so I thought that was a clue to the year). Is there any other images of that artillery related to his post? I'd love to see a different perspective.

I think I spent way too much time looking for tiny embedded clues in the images. I should have spent more time thinking about the verbal and non image based clues (like red/blue). Still really impressed how you guys narrowed in on things.

BTW. I find it fascinating you tour places on google maps. I could see getting lost in that. I never even knew you could go inside a lighthouse from there.

Edited by bronze_rules

On 9/20/2021 at 5:09 PM, bronze_rules said:

So your major clue was that little green thing that at first looked like an artillery (though fuzzy) machine? I was going back and forth on whether it was a bench, but could swear there was a rod like nozzle with holes, that looked like a type of gun nozzle. What is that thing the image is inside? is it a gazebo or lighthouse

Full rundown coming shortly.

And I'm not sure if you're talking about that thing that's jutting out towards the water in front of the white concrete portion.  If so, I believe that is just some kind of wave breaking barrier.  There are several just like it spaced out evenly along the shoreline in that area.

On 9/20/2021 at 3:19 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Full rundown coming shortly.

And I'm not sure if you're talking about that thing that's jutting out towards the water in front of the white concrete portion.  If so, I believe that is just some kind of wave breaking barrier.  There are several just like it spaced out evenly along the shoreline in that area.

Yeah, so i still don't get how someone looks at that and sees an artillery fortress. 

On 9/20/2021 at 5:24 PM, bronze_rules said:

Yeah, so i still don't get how someone looks at that and sees an artillery fortress. 

No idea.....but oneweaknesskryptonite was spot on with the area.....even if he couldn't pinpoint the exact location.

On 9/20/2021 at 5:09 PM, bronze_rules said:

So your major clue was that little green thing that at first looked like an artillery (though fuzzy) machine? I was going back and forth on whether it was a bench, but could swear there was a rod like nozzle with holes, that looked like a type of gun nozzle. What is that thing the image is inside? is it a gazebo or lighthouse (I started seeing hallucinatory images of bicycles in the iron bolts on top, and or numbers in the concrete like 183 something, so I thought that was a clue to the year). Is there any other images of that artillery related to his post? I'd love to see a different perspective.

I think I spent way too much time looking for tiny embedded clues in the images. I should have spent more time thinking about the verbal and non image based clues (like red/blue). Still really impressed how you guys narrowed in on things.

BTW. I find it fascinating you tour places on google maps. I could see getting lost in that. I never even knew you could go inside a lighthouse from there.

On 9/20/2021 at 5:24 PM, bronze_rules said:

20210920_172354.jpg.6b6d824fe4bffc32042a515396009ce3.jpg

The view is from inside where the gun was mounted.  ( you are looking at it from the guns point of view. The steel used in the upper as well as support poles. Plus the way they used concrete pre cast blocks that are poured together. What the little thing you are looking at was probably the drain with these being open when water gets in it has to be flushed out so the artillery wasn't in standing water.