• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What the one book you never thought you'd own that you do /did ?
5 5

97 posts in this topic

On 10/3/2021 at 2:30 PM, dikran1 said:

Always a huge fan of Disney, but not so much the comics as a kid. After getting back into comics in 2018 I picked this up and haven’t looked back since! 

6F834819-F70E-41F2-8237-2493D3C7F026.jpeg

I remember talking to the owner of Bond Street Books in the late 70's and he told me he had a complete run of that series. It was probably the most impressive collecting feat I had heard of at the time. What a great book!

Edited by Silver

I've never been much of a GA collector, but at one point I picked up a large mixed-era collection, in part because it's owner kept very detailed notes about what he owned and I appreciated the chance to do less work processing a bunch of boxes. To my surprise, though, his notes were wrong about one book. What he had listed as the 1953 Three Stooges #1 (St. Johns) was actually the much rarer 1949 Three Stooges #1 (Jubilee).

It was a solid midgrade copy, probably around a 6.0. I sold it a couple years later, and it definitely went in the financial win column, although I absolutely considered holding onto it as a neat rarity. It comes up for sale more these days than it used to, but it's still a tough book. I hope the copy I had is still in a good home.

On 10/5/2021 at 9:33 AM, Frisco Larson said:

I honestly never thought I'd own a copy of this book. 

Amazing-Man 5 raw pic.jpg

Congrats, but this seems very strange to me because back in 1994 at SD Con these books seemed to be on almost everyone's tables (well, at least 6 tables...lol).  But, so did a lot of books we seldom see anymore.  I guess they all got bought up and buried in collections...:whatthe:

On 10/5/2021 at 4:43 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Congrats, but this seems very strange to me because back in 1994 at SD Con these books seemed to be on almost everyone's tables (well, at least 6 tables...lol).  But, so did a lot of books we seldom see anymore.  I guess they all got bought up and buried in collections...:whatthe:

I think the very same thing was the case with Fantastic Comics #3!!! In fact, I seem to recall a dealer who had more than a half dozen copies at their table ALONE at that show. They're out there SOMEWHERE!!!  hm  

On 10/5/2021 at 4:03 PM, Pantodude said:

I echo @circumstances's sentiment.  I was mostly into stamps, currency, and coins as a young collector.  So for much of my life, I honestly did not expect to own any comic book rarities/keys.  So all of them count!   But if I have to pick one, I was going to say my Silver Streak Comics #1.  I never expected to find one due to scarcity (and b/c I focused on SA), but I did!  

1598073447_Screenshot(416).png.34ef9319c898de09d84d5f33d2a184e0.png

This book is another that’s on many lists i am sure (including my own) and just doesn’t show up very often!! Very cool!! 

On 10/6/2021 at 3:09 AM, gino2paulus2 said:

I’m still over the moon you were able to get this copy brother!! We had talked about this book so many times over the years before it ever got “popular”!! It really does make a difference if parting with a SUPER rare book knowing it went to a good home where it will be appreciated and it certainly did in this case!!! OF5 will be my pick as well. I had this book saved on ebay listings and all the top website and auctions house want lists for a few years before a copy finally popped up!! My favorite book for sure at this point and one i thought for awhile i would never be able to obtain. You hear books are rare and hardly ever come up for sale but only experience watching the market can truly quantify that statement.

0D01DAD0-6270-4FEE-8F37-9333F5B01FE4.jpeg

BOOM!!!!

On 10/5/2021 at 5:06 PM, Frisco Larson said:

I think the very same thing was the case with Fantastic Comics #3!!! In fact, I seem to recall a dealer who had more than a half dozen copies at their table ALONE at that show. They're out there SOMEWHERE!!!  hm  

Doesn't Fischler hoard them?