• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 180 or 181 1st app by the co creator
3 3

113 posts in this topic

On 11/10/2021 at 10:23 AM, woowoo said:

hm I can tell you that 120 came out before 121 (thumbsu

There's no need to complicate things :roflmao:

GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

.... Alpha Flight first appeared in X-MEN 109 and The Inhumans first appeared in FF 36 .... hopefully this will not result in any tearfall.... 

Edited by jimjum12

So to try and make this more silvery I'll bring up FF48, 49...

Im not sure there's been as much spirited disagreement over Galactus as there clearly have with Wolverine/Venom even though I think Galactus is just on one last panel in 48. I think there's a clear consensus FF 48 is first Galactus.  Would that be because FF48 story clearly is building up to the cameo and mentions "Galactus" unlike Hulk 180 with a brief Weapon X mention? I always wondered about that hm.

Regardless of the mentions, the Galactus debut app = Wolverine's debut app with a similar amount of commentary from both. So let's just say for arguments sake Surfer wasn't involved until 50...

Would FF48 still be considered Galactus first app? Still be way more valuable than FF49 without Surfer in the equation? 

The Venom thing is cgc not wanting to weigh in on whether the Web of spider-mans before 299 were a prelude....or whether 298 with the symbiote arm panel is a Venom cameo or not. That one is legit confusing. 

Isn't this all just a case of comic definitions diverging from the literal definitions used in dictionaries?

By the very definition of the word, Wolverine makes an "appearance" in 180 and it is his "1st", so by Webster's, it would be his "1st appearance".  However, the comic book hobby for years now has created and used its own definition of what constitutes a "1st appearance" and a "cameo".  By comic definitions, a "cameo" is a one panel or short appearance of a character.  (As opposed to the Webster definition posted back on page 1 or 2 of this thread.)  Until the powers-that-be in the hobby can be convinced to adjust the comic definitions to be more in line with the English dictionary, then it's clear that 180 is a cameo and 181 is a 1st appearance.  Does it make sense?  No, not really, but it sure seems to be what is hanging people up in one camp vs the other.

What irks me is the inconsistency with which this standard is used as there seem to be times where single panel appearances are given the 1st appearance designation (ie with the aforementioned Galactus appearance).

And for what it's worth, I own 180/181 so I don't have a preference for any camp.  So long as no one makes a case for 179 somehow, I don't care what the hobby decides.  :martini:

Funny how CGC notates Thor 163 as Him 2nd cameo even though its pretty much just a casket in one panel. They at least show the cocoon inside the casket in the next issue with the "3rd cameo" note. So how bout chewing on that one to figure out what "cameo" really means (: 

I bet that was fun for cgc to figure out 20 years ago :ohnoez: O.o

That being said, the view of diverging definitions of comics vs literal for "appearance" sounds right. Hasn't that been the case pretty much forever? 180 "cameo" can be distinguished from 181 imo.

Edited by MGsimba77
Wrong issue

On 11/10/2021 at 10:42 AM, APDallas said:

If this is true then AMAZING SPIDERMAN #299 is the first appearance of Venom.

Then who the hell is on the last page of ASM 298? And that's even ignoring the mysterious character who barely, but still actually, appeared multiple times before that and just happened to attack Peter Parker while not triggering Spidey's special danger sense.

On 11/13/2021 at 1:17 PM, BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES said:

Possible trend in the future.  Sell your big "FIRST APPEARANCE" and buy a nice house, while chuckling to yourself that you still have the actual first appearance.

Oh, the :censored: are way ahead of you on that. They've been pushing that :censored: for quite some time. Luckily, most people aren't dumb enough to fall for it.

On 11/13/2021 at 1:42 PM, Lazyboy said:

Then who the hell is on the last page of ASM 298? And that's even ignoring the mysterious character who barely, but still actually, appeared multiple times before that and just happened to attack Peter Parker while not triggering Spidey's special danger sense.

Let's see a picture

On 11/13/2021 at 2:17 PM, BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES said:

Possible trend in the future.  Sell your big "FIRST APPEARANCE" and buy a nice house, while chuckling to yourself that you still have the actual first appearance.

Action 12 Batman ad pg.jpg

1st app in Human Torch 2.JPG

IMG_4446.JPG

The thing with advertisements is they've never been thought of as legit appearances. I think this is another standard set forth by the comic community since the beginning that "appearances" must be in the context of a story. If important enough, like those would be, most they get is a notation on the cgc label. Anyhow, I like how back in the stone age it was always "The" Batman, never just Batman lol

Btw, another one could be tossed around all day is Mary Jane...obscured face and all. I'm sure there's a number of others. 

Edited by MGsimba77

I suppose if you get technical, a first appearance is a first appearance, regardless if it's a one panel cameo or not. Meaning, the first time he ever appears is in 180. But that's why I have no problem with distinguishing the first cameo appearance from the first full appearance. 

Sometimes though, the powers that be can get rather liberal with their interpretation of the term "cameo." Looking at you X annual 14. But I think in that case it's because they literally effed it up, and didn't realize the annual came out before 266 until much later.