• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PLEASE READ - A Message from George Perez
6 6

104 posts in this topic

Folks, It breaks my heart to post this message from George, but he wants all of his fans to hear this news directly from him via his art rep, Spencer Beck!

To all my fans, friends and extended family,

It’s rather hard to believe that it’s been almost three years since I formally announced my retirement from producing comics due to my failing vision and other infirmities brought on primarily by my diabetes. At the time I was flattered and humbled by the number of tributes and testimonials given me by my fans and peers. The kind words spoken on those occasions were so heartwarming that I used to quip that “the only thing missing from those events was me lying in a box.”

It was amusing at the time, I thought.

Now, not so much. On November 29th I received confirmation that, after undergoing surgery for a blockage in my liver, I have Stage 3 Pancreatic Cancer. It is surgically inoperable and my estimated life expectancy is between 6 months to a year. I have been given the option of chemotherapy and/or radiation therapy, but after weighing all the variables and assessing just how much of my remaining days would be eaten up by doctor visits, treatments, hospital stays and dealing with the often stressful and frustrating bureaucracy of the medical system, I’ve opted to just let nature take its course and I will enjoy whatever time I have left as fully as possible with my beautiful wife of over 40 years, my family, friends and my fans.

Since I received my diagnosis and prognosis, those in my inner circle have given me so much love, support and help, both practical and emotional. They’ve given me peace.

There will be some business matters to take care of before I go.  I am already arranging with my art agent to refund the money paid for sketches that I can no longer finish. And, since, despite only having one working eye, I can still sign my name, I hope to coordinate one last mass book signing to help make my passing a bit easier. I also hope that I will be able to make one last public appearance wherein I can be photographed with as many of my fans as possible, with the proviso that I get to hug each and every one of them. I just want to be able to say goodbye with smiles as well as tears.

I know that many of you will have questions to ask or comments to make, and rather than fueling the fires of speculation and well-meaning but potentially harmful miscommunication, I will be returning to the arena of social media by starting a new Facebook account where fans and friends can communicate with me or my designated rep directly for updates and clarification.

Please search for @TheGeorgePerez on Facebook if you’d like to join the page to receive updates. For media and press inquiries, please use the contact information on the page as well.  Please respect the privacy of my wife and family at this time and use the Facebook page rather than reaching out through other channels.

I may not be able to respond as quickly as I would like since I will be endeavoring to get as much outside pleasure as I can in the time allotted me, but I will do my best. Kind words would also be greatly appreciated. More details to follow once it’s up and running.

Well, that’s it for now. This is not a message I enjoyed writing, especially during the Holiday Season, but, oddly enough, I’m feeling the Christmas spirit more now than I have in many years. Maybe it’s because it will likely be my last. Or maybe because I am enveloped in the loving arms of so many who love me as much as I love them. It’s quite uplifting to be told that you’ve led a good life, that you’ve brought joy to so many lives and that you’ll be leaving this world a better place because you were part of it. To paraphrase Lou Gehrig: “Some people may think I got a bad break, but today, I feel like the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.”

Take care of yourselves—and thank you.

George Pérez

December 7th, 2021

Not George, noooo. I don't know where to start, how do you deal with knowing a man you idolise is dealing with the fact his life has now been laid out to him in fairly precise terms, and he now has to prepare to leave us. That's just... I'm speechless. 

George, you will require tremendous strength in the days of come. May you face it with as much dignity as can be mustered, and with the strength and grace, the fire I know you still have, burning deep within you. 

Take care of yourself, and those you love. May you fit a whole lot of life into this relatively short amount of time. Make it count. 

I met him back in the summer of 82 in a book store that sold comics in their basement in Flushing Queens. Very friendly and outgoing guy. He would actually go there to get his weekly fix. Definitely one of the good guys of the industry.

Edited by mr_highgrade

Facing one's mortality head on must be a monumentally difficult thing to do for anyone.  How does this not rack up the anxiety level for someone?  I can only glean from his post that this is the peace  he has with him: "I am enveloped in the loving arms of so many who love me as much as I love them. It’s quite uplifting to be told that you’ve led a good life, that you’ve brought joy to so many lives and that you’ll be leaving this world a better place because you were part of it. "

George, I count myself among those you have brought joy to, even if it was as an old man who didn't appreciate your work until much later.  Godspeed, George, your legacy lives on as many of the great masters.

This is hard to read, especially because George is such a class act.

I remember some years back at one of the Chicago comic cons, George was leaving his table to take a lunch break from signing autographs and as he was nearly out the door, a couple fans approached and stopped him and he was kind enough to take photos with them instead of telling them to come back because he was on his break. I hope his final days are pain free and spent with as many loved ones as possible.

Edited by seredynskib

So sad, his run on the  Teen Titans is what brought me back into comics during college. Truly a great.

A truly great artist, very sad to hear.