• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

On 1/5/2022 at 10:03 AM, chrisco37 said:

On to gender, folks!  :shy:

Captain Marvel is the strongest Avenger. Girl power is here to stay in the MCU and there's no putting the genie back in the bottle. That's why Carol Danvers will become the next leader of the Avengers.

On 1/5/2022 at 7:39 PM, Larryw7 said:

If her character isn't popular, it won't matter how strong she is. 

Why it matters that Marvel made Captain Marvel so strong is that it shows that Marvel is willing to invest that kind of power in this character which means they have bigger plans for Captain Marvel beyond a cute origin story movie and a bit part in Avengers Endgame, as in Captain Marvel will become a central figure in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

On 1/5/2022 at 8:28 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Why it matters that Marvel made Captain Marvel so strong is that it shows that Marvel is willing to invest that kind of power in this character which means they have bigger plans for Captain Marvel beyond a cute origin story movie and a bit part in Avengers Endgame, as in Captain Marvel will become a central figure in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

No, they are trying to appeal to and grow the female audience, completely ignoring that 65% of the comic audience is and will always be male. Plus, most women I know, who go to see comic movies to see men, they could care less about the girl power. I do know several you fully admit to really enjoying those Thor shirt off moments. My wife, did not like Captain Marvel at all, and hated that moment in Endgame. They are trying to cater to and create an audience that is overall very small, and has a history of being very fickle. 

Please learn that companies are never altruistic in the long term.  Companies when push comes to shove just want to make money. The can not force a character to be popular, and if they try it will lead to lower and lower monetary returns.  If Captain Marvel does not bring in money, they will write her out so fast it will make your head spin. 

The we did it first game is ultimately one of diminishing returns.  The first female Marvel lead movie, the first this, the first that.  Eventually, they will run out of firsts, and each first will be met with smaller and smaller returns. The  other secret is she was really not a first of anything, but you are not willing to go there.

On 1/5/2022 at 8:49 PM, drotto said:

No, they are trying to appeal to and grow the female audience, completely ignoring that 65% of the comic audience is and will always be male. Plus, most women I know, who go to see comic movies to see men, they could care less about the girl power. I do know several you fully admit to really enjoying those Thor shirt off moments. My wife, did not like Captain Marvel at all, and hated that moment in Endgame. They are trying to cater to and create an audience that is overall very small, and has a history of being very fickle.

Please learn that companies are never altruistic in the long term.  Companies when push comes to shove just want to make money. The can not force a character to be popular, and if they try it will lead to lower and lower monetary returns.  If Captain Marvel does not bring in money, they will write her out so fast it will make your head spin

Marvel Studios has already appealed to female audiences and they are there in huge numbers. They no longer have to try. I haven't checked the statistical numbers lately but if you say the MCU fanbase is 65% male, that means that 45% of the fanbase is female. That's not a number to ignore. I personally know almost as many female fans of the MCU as male fans. I never thought I'd see the day that I'd have a serious conversation about the MCU with a woman over 60 but I have. And these women I have conversations with about the MCU all love Captain Marvel and love the idea of her. My partner's 11 year old niece, who has never seen a Marvel movie because her conservative parents won't let her watch the PG-13 Marvel movies until she turns 13, says her favorite superhero is Captain Marvel. My own partner, who hates the MCU God bless her soul, says the only MCU films she can stand to watch are Thor (because of Chris Hemsworth), Black Panther (because she thinks it's a good movie), and Captain Marvel (because finally there's a Marvel movie since Iron Man that she's not required to have seen twenty other movies to understand, she likes it because she likes how it's just a girl hero doing the same things any hero would do, and also because she finds Brie Larson's title character charming). The women fans are there. And the ones I know dig Captain Marvel. 

And Captain Marvel has already brought in money. Her two major movie appearances in CM and Endgame are among the highest grossing movies of all time. Even YouTube Captain Marvel haters kept making one hate video after another about the Captain because they'd get more hits if they talked about Captain Marvel. She makes news, makes money, and brings the attention. 

addendum: I forgot my partner also likes Ant-Man because of Paul Rudd and that his power is that he can control ants.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 1/5/2022 at 9:41 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Marvel Studios has already appealed to female audiences and they are there in huge numbers. They no longer have to try. I haven't checked the statistical numbers lately but if you say the MCU fanbase is 65% male, that means that 45% of the fanbase is female. That's not a number to ignore. I personally know almost as many female fans of the MCU as male fans. I never thought I'd see the day that I'd have a serious conversation about the MCU with a woman over 60 but I have. And these women I have conversations with about the MCU all love Captain Marvel and love the idea of her. My partner's 11 year old niece, who has never seen a Marvel movie because her conservative parents won't let her watch the PG-13 Marvel movies until she turns 13, says her favorite superhero is Captain Marvel. My own partner, who hates the MCU God bless her soul, says the only MCU films she can stand to watch are Thor (because of Chris Hemsworth), Black Panther (because she thinks it's a good movie), and Captain Marvel (because finally there's a Marvel movie since Iron Man that she's not required to have seen twenty other movies to understand, she likes it because she likes how it's just a girl hero doing the same things any hero would do, and also because she finds Brie Larson's title character charming). The women fans are there. And the ones I know dig Captain Marvel. 

And Captain Marvel has already brought in money. Her two major movie appearances in CM and Endgame are among the highest grossing movies of all time. Even YouTube Captain Marvel haters kept making one hate video after another about the Captain because they'd get more hits if they talked about Captain Marvel. She makes news, makes money, and brings the attention. 

So funny you think her presence had any effect on Endgame,  My experience is the opposite, the woman in my life to do not like her. Captain Marvel leading the MCU, will never get anywhere near the level as Iron Man.  Hate to say it Spider-Man is and will remain the biggest name, draw, and likely center of the MCU.

On 1/5/2022 at 10:01 PM, drotto said:

So funny you think her presence had any effect on Endgame,  My experience is the opposite, the woman in my life to do not like her. Captain Marvel leading the MCU, will never get anywhere near the level as Iron Man.  Hate to say it Spider-Man is and will remain the biggest name, draw, and likely center of the MCU.

Spider-Man is the flagship character of Marvel and the most popular superhero on the planet but he can't be the center of the MCU because his appearances in the MCU have to be limited because of Sony's control over the character. That's why the MCU Spider-Man films have zero effect on the greater MCU storyline.

And I understand that Captain Marvel will most likely never achieve the popularity of Robert Downey Jr's Tony Stark but probably no MCU character ever will, not even Tom Holland's Peter Parker (understand that the craze around No Way Home is not because it's a Tom Holland Spider-Man movie, it's because it's a Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield, Willem Dafoe, Alfred Molina, and Tom Holland Spider-Man movie aka live action Spiderverse movie).

The way I see it Marvel Studios should continue to keep telling live action modern adaptations of the Marvel Comics super-hero stories and the fans can pick their favorites. I think Marvel will be content not having all the love rest on one character but spreading the love around to all the characters and not leaving them off to the side like they did for so long with Hawkeye and Black Widow. The Disney+ shows now allow Marvel to tell the stories of those side characters and thus spread the love around to every hero in the MCU.

I think Captain Marvel will become a central figure in the MCU, not only because Marvel Studios wants its namesake character front and center, but because the coming MCU storyline will necessitate it. And the groundwork is already being laid in Phase Four. Nick Fury is her major supporter and is already becoming a bigtime player due to his alliance with the Skrulls. Her best friend Maria Rambeau founded SWORD which will become the new SHIELD going forward. And when Wong wants to discuss the implications of the Ten Rings, who does he bring in? Bruce Banner and Carol Danvers. As far as the cosmic side of the MCU goes, Carol Danvers is already being positioned to soon be in a leadership role.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 1/6/2022 at 2:23 PM, Dr. Love said:

progressive math!  it may not really equal 100%, but it feels so right to me!    :womanhero:

You don't UNDERSTAND. Captain Marvel is SO popular she has a 110% audience share, don't you see?!? 

On 1/5/2022 at 11:23 PM, Dr. Love said:

progressive math!  it may not really equal 100%, but it feels so right to me!    :womanhero:

On 1/6/2022 at 12:20 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

You don't UNDERSTAND. Captain Marvel is SO popular she has a 110% audience share, don't you see?!? 

And you know that will be the justification for such an error:

"MCU supporters are so fanatical they give more than 100% each time!"

On 1/5/2022 at 10:01 PM, drotto said:

Hate to say it Spider-Man is and will remain the biggest name, draw, and likely center of the MCU.

I personally would not hate to say it, but to each their own. It's clear that they were grooming Spider-Man to 'replace' the hole left by Iron Man's departure. Tom Holland is a fantastic ambassador for the Marvel Studios brand.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus
Typo.

On 1/6/2022 at 8:21 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I personally would not hate to say it, but to each their own. It's clear that they were grooming Spider-Man to 'replace' the hole left by Iron Man's departure. Tom Holland is a fantastic ambassador for the Marvel Studios brand.

He just can't except Captain Marvel is the Last Jedi character of the MCU. The movie made a ton of money. A significant portion of the fans don't care for it. It has divided the fandom.

The IP of a devided fandom will eventually fall.

Edited by drotto