• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGCs is hiring
6 6

123 posts in this topic

ok, I'll play. Sign on bonuses are very misleading since the US gov't gets 50% before u get yours. And I lived there for several years and with the rise in rent and home ownership? 20 won't get u very far. 550 after taxes with this inflationary wizard in the WH? Good luck to everyone.

On 1/22/2022 at 9:52 PM, Tnexus said:

So at $15 an hour you're at $31.2k for a 40 hour work week at 52 weeks. That's before taxes. Average apartment rent seems to be about $1300 a month for a one bedroom or over 50% of your take home income.

well, if we can get mom to work, and baby sis, they might make a go of it

Edited by Courageous Cat

On 1/22/2022 at 8:18 PM, Courageous Cat said:
On 1/22/2022 at 6:52 PM, Tnexus said:

So at $15 an hour you're at $31.2k for a 40 hour work week at 52 weeks. That's before taxes. Average apartment rent seems to be about $1300 a month for a one bedroom or over 50% of your take home income.

Mom's are great at heavy lifting!

On 1/23/2022 at 2:18 PM, Courageous Cat said:

'You can do it, put your back into it.' 

You can't tell me that song is about anything other than moving furniture around! 

On 1/22/2022 at 8:57 PM, Courageous Cat said:

ok, I'll play. Sign on bonuses are very misleading since the US gov't gets 50% before u get yours. 

:grin:

In truth, the first $10,275 is subject to 0% federal tax, with income above that and up to ~$40,000 taxed at 10%, and that's only after the standard deduction of $12,950 is subtracted and so not subject to being taxed. You need at least ~$540,000 in income to reach the highest federal bracket, 37%.  Paying into the Social Security and Medicare systems for benefits you get back in retirement comes to an additional 7.65% for those earning less than ~$148,000 and a lower percentage for those earning more (thanks to the income cap on paying into Social Security).

Edited by namisgr

On 1/23/2022 at 2:29 AM, namisgr said:

In truth, the first $10,275 is subject to 0% federal tax, with income above that and up to ~$40,000 taxed at 10%, and that's only after the standard deduction of $12,950 is subtracted and so not subject to being taxed. You need at least ~$540,000 in income to reach the highest federal bracket, 37%.  Paying into the Social Security and Medicare systems for benefits you get back in retirement comes to an additional 7.65% for those earning less than ~$148,000 and a lower percentage for those earning more (thanks to the income cap on paying into Social Security).

all due respect, but ...

Signing bonuses, like other types of bonuses, often appear to be a major windfall, but because the money is taxed at the recipient's marginal tax rate, much of the bonus will end up going to the employee's federal and state government.

On 1/23/2022 at 12:38 AM, shadroch said:

In 1991, my job took me to Ft. Campbell ,Kentucky for two weeks. One night I was out getting gas at an AM/PM type place and I noticed they had a help wanted sign.  I asked the cashier about it and he told me they were starting out at $3.65 but if I was legally married and had children they'd bump it up to $3.75 as I had a family to provide for.

Who would not want to work at a place that values the family so.

I was stationed at Fort Campbell from 2017-2019. Moving back to KY this October when I retire 

On 1/23/2022 at 4:17 AM, Courageous Cat said:

all due respect, but ...

Signing bonuses, like other types of bonuses, often appear to be a major windfall, but because the money is taxed at the recipient's marginal tax rate, much of the bonus will end up going to the employee's federal and state government.

It's $1500, in addition to the ordinary income earned by the person taking the advertised CGC job that pays $15/hour.  Should someone take this job and work 50 paid weeks a year at 40 hours per week, their yearly income from the job will be $30,000 plus the one time $1500 signing bonus.  That person taking the standard deduction and filing single will pay ~11% of their total compensation to the federal government for 2022 for combined income tax, bonus tax, Social Security tax, and Medicare tax.  The 22% tax rate on the signing bonus contributes $330 to the total tax owed, just over 1.0% of the total compensation.  

The point in posting this is to indicate the federal tax burden for this advertised position is a far cry from the 50% you alluded to in an earlier post.  And in addition, Florida has no state income tax.

Edited by namisgr

On 1/23/2022 at 1:29 AM, namisgr said:

Don't forget the state of Florida do not charge the income tax.

On 1/23/2022 at 3:02 AM, namisgr said:
On 1/23/2022 at 1:17 AM, Courageous Cat said:

all due respect, but ...

It's $1500, in addition to the ordinary income earned by the person taking the advertised CGC job that pays $15/hour.  Should someone take this job and work 50 paid weeks a year at 40 hours per week, their yearly income from the job will be $30,000 plus the one time $1500 signing bonus.  That person taking the standard deduction and filing single will pay ~11% of their total compensation to the federal government for 2022 for combined income tax, bonus tax, Social Security tax, and Medicare tax.  The 22% tax rate on the signing bonus contributes $330 to the total tax owed, just over 1.0% of the total compensation.  

The point in posting this is to indicate the federal tax burden for this advertised position is a far cry from the 50% you alluded to in an earlier post.  And in addition, Florida has no state income tax.

When I worked for the feds, any type of bonus was immediately taxed at 45%. Of course hardly anyone was in that type of tax bracket, so you didn't really get the full bonus until you did your taxes the next year.

On 1/23/2022 at 12:53 PM, lizards2 said:

When I worked for the feds, any type of bonus was immediately taxed at 45%. Of course hardly anyone was in that type of tax bracket, so you didn't really get the full bonus until you did your taxes the next year.

You can fill out a W4 form to arrange to have less withheld from your salary payments in that situation, right?  Having never received a signing bonus (just stock options for joining a start-up), I have no experience with them.  

Edited by namisgr