• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage April Auction
6 6

534 posts in this topic

On 4/7/2022 at 7:25 PM, Matches_Malone said:

Bollands Dredd Cover selling for $144,000 really surprised me. I think it's one of its best, if not the best, in the series. I just didn't think Dredd material would go that high. Congrats go the seller. 

It sold publicly through a dealer site for $35K in late 2018 and people thought the price was very strong at the time (it's a beautifully drawn cover but the Dredd figure is comparatively small and there are more memorable covers/storylines IMO).

More than a quadruple in about 3 1/2 years from an already healthy base level...what a world we are living in. 

On 4/7/2022 at 7:25 PM, Matches_Malone said:

Bollands Dredd Cover selling for $144,000 really surprised me. I think it's one of its best, if not the best, in the series. I just didn't think Dredd material would go that high. Congrats go the seller. 

It seems like the right pieces can really bust past comps nowadays, and the wrong pieces can really underwhelm.   Bigger premiums (dredd etc) and deeper discounts (x106) depending on the strength or weakness of the example.     

It’s like price is no object if it’s the piece people want, yet prices are high enough that people don’t want consolation prize pieces at big numbers.    

Or to put it another way the whales want what they want and they aren’t going to bid on the others.   

Edited by Bronty

On 4/8/2022 at 8:19 AM, drdonaldblake1 said:

Ditto......I think it's a solid price for a very average cover of no historical importance

I think that's a bit harsh...it's still an early first-run Cockrum X-Men cover with several X-Men on it. I agree that it's far from the best example in the run, but, with the market bidding up all kinds of not that great/not important art to high and even higher levels, I thought this cover was a comparative bargain. I thought the Dazzler #1 was a great deal for the buyer as well and expected the DKR #3 to do better too (and to be clear, I am just a spectator this week so have no dog in the hunt). 

Edited by delekkerste

On 4/8/2022 at 8:54 AM, delekkerste said:

I think that's a bit harsh...it's still an early first-run Cockrum X-Men cover with several X-Men on it. I agree that it's far from the best example in the run, but, with the market bidding up all kinds of not that great/not important art to high and even higher levels, I thought this cover was a comparative bargain. I thought the Dazzler #1 was a great deal for the buyer as well and expected the DKR #3 to do better too (and to be clear, I am just a spectator this week so have no dog in the hunt). 

The counterpoint though is that if one  goes through the run, it’s the last choice cover.    Still an early Xmen cover, of course.   But it’s also nobody’s favorite .   I don’t know if the price is too cheap or not but it does seem low compared to say the Lee Xmen DPS.    How that DPS beats an early cover….. bah.    I guess the Lee is a strong example of Lee Xmen and this 106 is a weak example of cockrum, but it’s still surprising.

Edited by Bronty

On 4/8/2022 at 8:39 AM, drdonaldblake1 said:

The Miller Spidey 219 cover got $90k..... Strong price for a tiny image of Peter Parker.

The Miller DD PAGes were around $25 each..... Very strong given most images weren't DD IN COSTume

The asm 219 cover wouldn’t have ended as high if I didn’t throw in some punishment bids 😉