• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The story of a promise made during the Korean War
9 9

351 posts in this topic

On 3/11/2022 at 2:27 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I agree. It is likely that @sfcityduck has solved the mystery.

Were you able to find any photoraphs of Armand Mezzopera?

Louis Robert Mezzopera's obituary page has this image, which could show him and Armand (but might not).

I found all those photos a while back.  They are the family's photos.  I would ask that you take down the link for two reasons: (1) Those pics include pictures of the family, including minor children and (2) those pics are family's personal property and I just don't think it is right to publicize them without family permission.

I hope you understand.

PM sent.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 3/12/2022 at 7:38 AM, Straw-Man said:

these are pics attached to a website obituary page anyone can access?   am i missing something or are these photos ones the family chose to add to the obit/funeral home presentation?

For purposes of republication, I'm not sure that matters.

On 3/9/2022 at 5:55 PM, sfcityduck said:

Agree with above.  The bigger question, for me, is why does CGC think it gets to determine what comic collections qualify as "pedigrees" and which do not?  The pedigree concept pre-existed CGC.  Key pedigrees pre-existed CGC.  CGC has no right to be the arbiter of what is or is not a pedigree.  It holds no trademark on the term "pedigree," has not trademarked the previously recognized pedigrees, and has no right to be the sole arbiter.

For example, if a competing company were to label as a pedigree books not presently recognized by Heritage, but previously recognized by the comic collecting community as a pedigree, would Heritage honor that designation?

If a competing company were to recognize a previously unknown pedigree, would Heritage honor that pedigree designation? 

I would hope the answer to both questions would be "yes."  If not, Heritage and CGC might end up facing claims for anti-competitive behavior.   

Thoughts on a couple of the recurring discussion points:

• Pedigrees were (or maybe still are) defined as fandom acceptance of a given collection as something special, usually reflected by it being documented, revered, and commanding price premiums.  Like so many other things these days, where many would like to put rules around things for simplicity, in the slab era, the grading companies established their own "pedigree" rules to support the mechanics and administration of their business models.   

• To some extent, I think fandom still dictates what's deemed a true pedigree, in that some "pedigrees" command price premiums while others not so much.  If we put the dollars and grading company "pedigree rules" aside for a minute to think about what the "name on a slab" value should be, I suggest it's this:  when a significant OO GA collection surfaces, this is sort of an historic event regardless of whether it fits within any slabbing companies "pedigree rules."  Ensuring any such collection is documented and, in a sense, kept intact can be achieved by noting the collection's name on the slab - but this reimagines the current model.  So, to avoid the current pavlovian response mindset that any named collection should be revered and command premium pricing it's simply a matter of a change in CGC's marketing.  Rather than the CGC "unveiling a new pedigree" drama that conjures visions of a new precious gem, CGC could simply make clear that slabs may display the name of a significant OO GA collection (purely for posterity).  This change would actually better document things, in that many OO collections that CGC declines to name because they don't meet CGC's "pedigree rules" would be named/known for any hobby/historical significance.  And, back to the dollars side of things, fandom will still, as it did before the slabbing companies, determine acceptance, reverence, and value.  

My 0.2 ...

Edited by LearnedHand

On 3/10/2022 at 12:30 PM, sfcityduck said:

Where I would have a problem is if Heritage refused to recognize pedigrees that CGC does not recognize.  I'm told above that is not the case because Heritage recognized CBCS designated peds before CGC recognized those peds.  So if CGC is just one of many market players who can recognize pedigrees, than that's no big deal.

Any idea if the boys from across the street recognized the Chinatown pedigree since it's a relatively new pedigree from 2020 recognized and graded by CGC, but has yet to make its real appearnace in the comic book marketplace?  hm

On 3/13/2022 at 1:48 AM, lou_fine said:

Any idea if the boys from across the street recognized the Chinatown pedigree since it's a relatively new pedigree from 2020 recognized and graded by CGC, but has yet to make its real appearnace in the comic book marketplace?  hm

I wish I knew... my Mom won't allow me across the street yet. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 3/13/2022 at 2:48 PM, lou_fine said:

Since they haven't been submitted to anybody else, or sold to anyone for that matter, it's kind of hard to say.  

On 3/10/2022 at 4:54 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Reminds me of a pedigree I once tried to promote..."The Outhouse Collection".  Most of the books were unreadable and appeared to be covered with excrement ...:roflmao:

Fishler, Warren and I purchased a collection in Chattanooga in the mid-80s we dubbed the Mile Low Collection.  It had an Acttion 1 but the books were so brown and brittle that I let them buy me out of the deal.  Literally every single book was crumbling in our hands.

On 3/13/2022 at 8:36 PM, Moondog said:

Fishler, Warren and I purchased a collection in Chattanooga in the mid-80s we dubbed the Mile Low Collection.  It had an Acttion 1 but the books were so brown and brittle that I let them buy me out of the deal.  Literally every single book was crumbling in our hands.

2 confederate brothers fought at lookout mountain, and one didn't come home...

On 3/13/2022 at 8:39 PM, Straw-Man said:

2 confederate brothers fought at lookout mountain, and one didn't come home...

Heritage knows their names!

Just a general comment for all.  Also, it must be said at the start, I have NO horse in this race. 

Posting of all these very detailed documents (not edited or redacted) of any of these families is fair game but posting a picture of family is taking it a step to far? Makes me laugh. Come on folks. Posting a dead soldier’s personal, private information, from any of these dead soldiers and their families, is not only imprudent but unwarranted.  Completely injudicious.  Let’s not forget, this seller, whomever they are, wanted to remain anonymous. So who is to gain from this post and at what cost? When does it cross a line for internet fodder, or to stroke one’s ego showing the world you’re correct on the internet? Because that’s what this boils down to. Being correct on the internet. 

No one said anyone here had to buy these books. Buy them because you wanted them, collect them, because they just are that dang good. Throwing big words like “fraud” based solely on assumptions is a dangerous game. Here is an assumption, a company simply using the information provided by a seller. Do you think any agent of any company would say to any seller or family, prove it to me, show me their death certificate? Can any of you honestly say you know off the top of your head your dead relative's ages at the time of their deaths from 50, 60, even 70 years ago? I’m not sure anyone could. 

I’m really just confused by this thread. It’s based on “detective work” but to whose detriment? Everyone here is using  a made up handle to hide your identity, your anonymity, your private information but the audacity to call out people who asked to remain anonymous. Why?? Again, to what gain? It’s no different than posting that letter, “hey lotto winner X, my aunt Sally in Des Moines has big toe cancer, can you help me? signed Karen”. Just let it be. Let this seller have the anonymity they asked for. Someone who had no say on anonymity, a dead soldier who didn’t hide behind a handle in times of war. So again, why do this? Why do any of this? To be right on a chat board on the internet? That’s the answer! I would truly hope this obsession of finding the “truth” is not leading people here to contact these dead soldier’s families to then bolster their claim of being correct on the internet. It has been discussed throughout this thread numerous times. It makes me cringe thinking about it. Show some decorum. I really hope this has not happened because when does it stop at “detective work” and become harassment? 

What should be the take away from this story?  The love between two brothers during a war. A promise that was kept. Give that the respect it deserves.