• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The story of a promise made during the Korean War
9 9

351 posts in this topic

On 3/10/2022 at 10:56 AM, Robot Man said:

Possibly an honest mistake. Comics took a beating and covers get detached. Some kid might have put the wrong book inside the wrong cover a long time ago.

I know I bought several large GA collections of covers and coverless books many years before the internet. I took my best guess trying to unite the covers to the right contents. I'm sure I was wrong on some. There simply wasn't the technology and information available back then. Most all of them have moved on out into the world now. 

But in this day and age and on big keys like these, there is simply no excuse for this to happen. Especially, for a company like CGC. 

What qualifications does someone have to have to work as a grader for CGC? When they were still small, they hired collectors like Phil Kaltenbach. They've grown too big for that to be possible now, I should think.

Now having a pulse and living within 50 miles of Sarasota are probably ample qualifications.

New hires probably get to watch a fifteen-minute training video and then start grading.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 3/10/2022 at 9:24 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

What qualifications does someone have to have to work as a grader for CGC? When they were still small, they hired collectors like Phil Kaltenbach. They've grown too big for that to be possible now, I should think.

Now having a pulse an living within 50 miles of Sarasota are probably ample qualifications.

New hires probably get to watch a fifteen-minute training video and then start grading.

Good question. I would imagine you would have to have some track record in the hobby. Maybe not.

At least there are checks and balances. Books aren’t graded by a single person. Is there one person at the top who has the final say? What is Matt Nelson’s involvement? I can’t believe he looks at every book.

I can’t imagine doing that all day long. Burnout has to be a problem. 

On 3/10/2022 at 8:37 AM, tth2 said:

It's just CGC's determination what to put on THEIR labels.  No one has to blindly follow it like lemmings. We are free to exercise our own discretion. 

+1

On 3/10/2022 at 1:22 PM, Robot Man said:

A friend of mine worked for a card grading company.  It got gradually worse until it seemed like grading another card was torture.

He lasted all of 3 days.

Edited by adamstrange

On 3/10/2022 at 11:24 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Now having a pulse and living within 50 miles of Sarasota are probably ample qualifications.

On 3/10/2022 at 12:22 PM, Robot Man said:

Good question. I would imagine you would have to have some track record in the hobby. Maybe not.

At least there are checks and balances. Books aren’t graded by a single person. Is there one person at the top who has the final say? What is Matt Nelson’s involvement? I can’t believe he looks at every book.

They are hiring

https://recruitingbypaycor.com/career/JobIntroduction.action?clientId=8a7882525c3d7d8e015c6b03a47c11dc&id=8a7883a87a2feaa8017a3f84cc82600c&source=&code=&fromAggregate=false

1509801306_FireShotCapture544-ListofAvailablePositions-CCG-recruitingbypaycor_com.thumb.png.1f7d92f583cb5cf82af91a7d5a6fad50.png

On 3/10/2022 at 2:44 PM, telerites said:

It seems unlikely that they could find enough people who actually meet all of those requirements, but at least they're seeking those qualifications.

On 3/10/2022 at 5:37 AM, tth2 said:

It's just CGC's determination what to put on THEIR labels.  

So long as Heritage will acknowledge pedigrees that are not recognized by CGC, I think that is right.

Where I would have a problem is if Heritage refused to recognize pedigrees that CGC does not recognize.  I'm told above that is not the case because Heritage recognized CBCS designated peds before CGC recognized those peds.  So if CGC is just one of many market players who can recognize pedigrees, than that's no big deal.

The most interesting test case would be whether Heritage would recognize a "pedigree" that clearly qualified if no grading service had yet recognized it, especially if the pedigree name and designation originated with a Heritage competitor.

As a hypothetical example: If Bangzoom's "WTG" collection of 2,000 OO books that has numerous high grade big early GA keys showed up for sale on Metro's website unencapsulated (let's assume BZ is so old school he refused to encapsulate his books) as the "WTG Pedigree," would Heritage allow one of those books to subsequently be auctioned on its site raw as a "WTG Pedigree" book?  If they said, nope, not unless CGC or CBCS recognizes the pedigree, that would appear arbitrary and inappropriate.  

Edited by sfcityduck

On 3/8/2022 at 9:02 PM, 10centcomics said:

Here's a newly listed Promise book with a name on the cover.

lf?set=path%5B2%2F5%2F6%2F4%2F4%2F25644033%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

On 3/8/2022 at 9:37 PM, jimjum12 said:

Looks like "John Hobby" to me. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I agree that it says John Hobby—in clear, unambiguous cursive—so I searched the 1940 census for people named John Hobby who were listed as the "son" of the head of household (in order to filter out adults, most of whom would not have been reading comic books in 1943).

There were only 12 matches nationwide, and many of those were older.

I only saw four who were the right age to have been likely readers of comic books in 1941, and one of them lived in Cleveland.

I agree that this book was likely purchased second hand, but the original owner and "Junie" probably lived in the same general area.

It would take a lot at this point to convince me that the collection originated anywhere other than the greater Cleveland area. 

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 3/10/2022 at 12:30 PM, sfcityduck said:

So long as Heritage will acknowledge pedigrees that are not recognized by CGC, I think that is right.

Where I would have a problem is if Heritage refused to recognize pedigrees that CGC does not recognize.  I'm told above that is not the case because Heritage recognized CBCS designated peds before CGC recognized those peds.  So if CGC is just one of many market players who can recognize pedigrees, than that's no big deal.

The most interesting test case would be whether Heritage would recognize a "pedigree" that clearly qualified if no grading service had yet recognized it, especially if the pedigree name and designation originated with a Heritage competitor.

As a hypothetical example: If Bangzoom's "WTG" collection of 2,000 OO books that has numerous high grade big early GA keys showed up for sale on Metro's website unencapsulated (let's assume BZ is so old school he refused to encapsulate his books) as the "WTG Pedigree," would Heritage allow one of those books to subsequently be auctioned on its site raw as a "WTG Pedigree" book?  If they said, nope, not unless CGC or CBCS recognizes the pedigree, that would appear arbitrary and inappropriate.  

And not being able to “potentialize” them? Probably not.

The collection already has a story and name connected to it. What would they call it? The Trash Can collection? 

On 3/10/2022 at 3:30 PM, sfcityduck said:

I don't think that's a concern, for I've seen books on Heritage noted as "Cape Cod" copy or "Diamond Run" pedigree.

Speaking of Diamond Run, how did this book get the notation on the label of a new-style holder? I thought that CGC was removing the notation from any books that were re-holdered.

lf?set=path%5B2%2F2%2F6%2F4%2F8%2F22648621%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

On 3/10/2022 at 3:48 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I agree that it says John Hobby—in clear, unambiguous cursive—so I searched the 1940 census for people named John Hobby who were listed as the "son" of the head of household (in order to filter out adults, most of whom would not have been reading comic books in 1943).

I only saw four who were the right age to have been likely readers of comic books in 1943, and one of them lived in Cleveland.

I agree that this book was likely purchased second hand, but the original owner and "Junie" probably lived in the same general area.

It would take a lot at this point to convince me that the collection originated anywhere other than the greater Cleveland area. 

.... another possibility, it was saved for "John" and his "Hobby" .... and was not to be thrown away. Caps were selling like hotcakes and he may have missed it, and a friend or family snagged a copy for him. GOD BLESS...

Edited by jimjum12

On 3/10/2022 at 4:48 PM, jimjum12 said:

.... another possibility, it was saved for "John" and his "Hobby" .... and was not to be thrown away. Caps were selling like hotcakes and he may have missed it, and a friend or family snagged a copy for him. GOD BLESS...

Creative, but highly unlikely.

On 3/10/2022 at 6:48 AM, Straw-Man said:

fraud, “liability,” and now anti-competition actions!   this thread should count as 1 credit for any of you law students reading.  

here is heritage “honoring” a ped from the other guys before cgc decided to recognize cape cods.   i’m sending this to the justice dept., too; maybe it’s not too late to call off the investigation.

https://www.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=0+790+231&Ntk=SI_Titles-Desc&Nty=1&Ntt=cod+cbcs&limitTo=all&ic4=KeywordSearch-A-K-071316

CGC recognizes Cape Cod now?  Appreciate the heads up, I missed that somehow.

On 3/10/2022 at 7:49 AM, bronze johnny said:

We also need greater transparency in auctions. How many people really understand what it means when an auction house itself bids on items in its auctions? How does anyone verify whether the owner of an item on auction is bidding the price up? Government regulation is required if the auction houses don’t take the initiative to be more transparent.

Right!?  Now that all these sales and purchases are taxed, they need to be regulated too.:highfive:

On 3/10/2022 at 4:48 PM, jimjum12 said:

No one remembers trading when your were a kid?  Geez, have we all gotten that old and jaded?

Edited by path4play

On 3/10/2022 at 3:48 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I only saw four who were the right age to have been likely readers of comic books in 1943, and one of them lived in Cleveland.

If John Holby or Hobby lines up in the same location as one of Duck's leads (thread has gone so many directions I can't recall where his candidate lived) you might be on to something. 

On 3/10/2022 at 5:36 PM, path4play said:

If John Holby or Hobby lines up in the same location as one of Duck's leads (thread has gone so many directions I can't recall where his candidate lived) you might be on to something. 

One of the Promise books was a promotional book that was only distributed in the Cleveland area (by a chain of stores).