• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old case? or submit for New Case? CGC 9.9
3 3

55 posts in this topic

On 2/26/2022 at 10:29 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

Could come back a 10 (shrug) 

I take it back, this is the real answer.  I always felt 9.9 was kind of lame.  I mean you got 9.8 for good books and you got 10.0 for perfect ones.  What is the point of paying a premium for "almost perfect"?  RAW NM or graded 10.0, imo.

On 2/26/2022 at 5:48 PM, Turtle said:

I'd say leave it as-is @Drake Dragoon.  Honestly, the case looks really good for its age.

Also, I'm the seller.  :hi:  I'll be sure to pack it carefully.  This one will get the double box treatment for sure.  (thumbsu

Thanks! I'm working on the entire run (Volume 4) in 9.8. But adding the 9.9 really makes it pop! I'm excited :headbang: 

On 2/27/2022 at 8:26 PM, Drake Dragoon said:

Thanks! I'm working on the entire run (Volume 4) in 9.8. But adding the 9.9 really makes it pop! I'm excited :headbang: 

I enjoyed that series. I've got a complete run (ungraded, and certainly not 9.8). I also found the major death quite sad (not mentioning who in case you haven't read it before). 

On 2/26/2022 at 5:38 PM, MAR1979 said:

I too would not take a chance. The risk on a 9.9 is far too realistic as bottom line obsessed Blackstone does not believe in QC

Meguiars PlastX along with a soft cloth (as shown in pic) and some arm effort will remove many light to near medium scratches and light to medium scuffs.

814eHJiah5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Wow, I keep this stuff around to clean up vintage toys (usually canopies and windshields), and it works terrifically. And yet it never ever occurred to me to try is on a slab! I don't think I have any scratched slabs on hand right now, but will definitely try it in the future, as it's a great product.

Otherwise, to OP, I will join the chorus: do not resub a 9.9 or 10.0. Those grades are like hitting the lottery, completely arbitrary and never guaranteed to happen again. Not worth the risk.

On 2/26/2022 at 1:46 PM, Drake Dragoon said:

I finally got my hands on 1 of only 2 CGC graded 9.9 TMNT #1 Mirage Volume 4 (2001)!!! But the case is old and has some wear.

My concern, if I send it in for a re-holder, is that CGC could determine a lower grade (if someone is having a bad day), or they might be in a rush and damage the comic as they remove/re-holder the comic.

Link

"Got a slab, had a small chip with large newton rings on the front cover, signed 5x detective comics 1000.  Emailed CGC, they said it qualified for a free reholder and sent me the directions on how to do it.  While being reholdered I got an email. Book got damaged when being taken out, will be 9.6 now, sorry for the inconvenience, here's a $50 credit. Really nice considering they assume 0 liability for this stuff.  On a second look, it'll be a 9.4, here's another $50 credit."

On 2/28/2022 at 8:42 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Link

"Got a slab, had a small chip with large newton rings on the front cover, signed 5x detective comics 1000.  Emailed CGC, they said it qualified for a free reholder and sent me the directions on how to do it.  While being reholdered I got an email. Book got damaged when being taken out, will be 9.6 now, sorry for the inconvenience, here's a $50 credit. Really nice considering they assume 0 liability for this stuff.  On a second look, it'll be a 9.4, here's another $50 credit."

I’m not sure the cover inks are glossy enough on this 9.9 to be at risk of color-lift when removing the inner well.