• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How was the San Francisco show today?
2 2

103 posts in this topic

On 3/10/2022 at 1:57 AM, Randall Dowling said:

Yugo_01_1000.jpg.eaed8d8bf766da9d5a25d0badac2c49f.jpg

It was fun while it lasted...

^^

A Yugo (but baby blue) was indeed my winter daily driver while I was in college, early 90s in Massachusetts. The clutch cable was broken and I got it for $150 with about 50k miles; I kept this back for the salt-free summers...

1978-BMW-320i-import-classics--Car-101343731-ce7027b64965af2747372adee4a07063.jpg?w=735&h=551&r=pad&c=%23f5f5f5

On 3/10/2022 at 9:42 AM, ExNihilo said:

As a new collector, my collecting aspirations are very narrow: I want art by artists of characters that resonate with me.  It's why my first OA was a Ron Lim sketch of Silver Surfer.  Why my first dealer purchase was a head shot of Wonder Woman by David Finch.  It's generally creators doing the work that drew me to them in the first place.  If not that, then it's pages from stories that I love.  It's why my ultimate grail isn't Amazing Fantasy 15, it's Jim Lee cover art from his Batman run (and if not that, then an interior page, and if not that then cover art from Batman/Catwoman).  New collectors could get some other modern art, but at least from my perspective, I didn't start buying OA to get something other than what I have my heart set on.  I don't know how other new collectors feel, but just thought I'd put in my 2c

I've had a similar experience as a new collector. In contrast to what has been said here, I've found it VERY easy to completely lose myself and find too many reasons to buy comic art. I personally have found that without limitations I'll easily run myself dry. So I restrict myself to published art from books that I have read. First it was Spider-Man related characters only then rapidly expanded to others if the art was cool. Within this constraint I found that I was actually finding cool art and then reading the books so I could justifiably purchase the art...

I found myself slipping as of lately by buying art from a series I intend to read at some point in the future....just not now!

On 3/5/2022 at 8:05 AM, Xatari said:

Man, I strongly disagree, having jumped into the hobby in the last two years. There were a TON of value pieces that really paid off and allowed my to parlay into bigger pieces. You just have to do two things…

1. Read books after the year 2000.

2. Do research. 

It’s not the easiest hobby by any means due to the points you made, but there is a lot of fun and value out there. I want to see more people enjoy it rather than keep it small. 

New collector here so I am bias, but I agree... I want to see it grow. I feel that way about everything and everyone that I love... Grow and flourish. That will make me happy far more than hoarding it all to myself.