• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How was the San Francisco show today?
2 2

103 posts in this topic

On 2/28/2022 at 1:06 AM, Xatari said:

Really nice turn out and well run! The room was a little small for the amount of people. I definitely think it was a great first step. 

I would also love to see a dealer with newer and maybe a tad bit cheaper art since I spoke with several people who were checking out the hobby for the first time but immediately felt priced out.

Just a reminder that there is a ton of great modern art being created, and a dealer who figures out how to leverage this at shows could gain a tremendous amount of new customers to a growing collector base.

I know people tend to stick with art from the era during which they read, but great stories and great art are still being made. I personally would love to see the next generation of comic and OA lovers find a place in the hobby without having to buy online. 

I agree 100 percent.. I have said the same thing at the NJ art con.. at least there Anthony and sometime Essential Sequential show up with more reasonable pieces.. but I do not understand why reps like Cadence or the like do not get involved in these 

On 2/28/2022 at 6:06 AM, Xatari said:

I would also love to see a dealer with newer and maybe a tad bit cheaper art since I spoke with several people who were checking out the hobby for the first time but immediately felt priced out.

Just a reminder that there is a ton of great modern art being created, and a dealer who figures out how to leverage this at shows could gain a tremendous amount of new customers to a growing collector base.

I know people tend to stick with art from the era during which they read, but great stories and great art are still being made. I personally would love to see the next generation of comic and OA lovers find a place in the hobby without having to buy online. 

Welcome to my world! I got into this hobby relatively late. A lot of the pieces I would like are already locked away in other peoples collections or priced so high it wouldn't be considered 'fun' to actually buy them. But I love art and comics, so buying from modern artists seems the route for me to take. I'm not sure if a 'modern comic art dealer' at a show would work in this day and age though for the reason outlined below...

On 2/28/2022 at 3:18 PM, Unstoppablejayd said:

I agree 100 percent.. I have said the same thing at the NJ art con.. at least there Anthony and sometime Essential Sequential show up with more reasonable pieces.. but I do not understand why reps like Cadence or the like do not get involved in these 

Maybe because they don't have to...? I recently attended a comic art festival in the UK. The Cadence crew were there, as were artists repped by Kirby's Comic Art. I noticed that all but two pieces of comic art being sold between them both could easily be found and bought online, I didn't really see anything new. I have a feeling these reps and their clientele have more of an online presence and do better business there than at shows. 

It was a lot of fun but a lot of the art had very high prices for some. There was a mixture of lower prices art under $500 from Bach era, anderson on ever coollines. I do agree there needs to have newer artwork at future shows. Felix and Tatania (we missed you) would do well at future sf comic art cons to get the new collectors just checking out the show. I do agree the casual person attending the show and either just getting into collecting or looking to buy their first piece of comic. Art may have been turned off by the prices. 
if they do it next year should include a could of dealers with modern recent comic art

On 2/28/2022 at 1:06 AM, Xatari said:

Really nice turn out and well run! The room was a little small for the amount of people. I definitely think it was a great first step. 

Perspective buyers should ask dealers if they have any art by artist x, y or z that they haven't brought to the show.  In a lot of cases, dealers cannot bring their entire inventory with them so they bring what they think might sell or a cross section of their inventory.  

On 3/5/2022 at 1:10 AM, Mickey7 said:

Haven't posted a link before from my phone, so I'll look into that.  For now, try searching under "SF con" on CAF and pics should come up.

Allow me...

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=3934

Edited by Will_K

On 3/4/2022 at 9:16 AM, JadeGiant said:
On 3/2/2022 at 7:11 PM, Latverian Tourism Board said:

Does Saul Zimmerman have a website? Or does anyone know how to contact him and/or see what art he has? Thanks.

No site, he used to have one but I think he took it down. 

Yup, it's been gone for many years. It bit the dust around the time he changed coasts, maybe 10-odd years ago? IIRC it was kirbyart.com.