• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How was the San Francisco show today?
2 2

103 posts in this topic

On 3/7/2022 at 10:26 AM, vodou said:

Assuming people are still "investing" (mentally, collecting, and actually putting down more than pocket change) in new Big Two characters/titles/whatever, it's not hard to see that the art will come into it's own in time. But what happens to the older art (and comics) that the newer (hot!) stuff is founded upon? It slows, okay, but does it die on the vine at some point? (Or is there just infinite dollars chasing finite examples...infinitely?) How could it...if the new hot! stuff is built upon it (in the "Universe" fashion)? For four decades "new" art collectors have bought up their own era stuff and then collected backwards but now 2x SA superhero is so high...that's getting really, really hard to do on less than a serious six figure annual income (heck even "collecting back to 80s" is getting pretty tough for more than a few examples a year for most of modest means/earning power). So..? Is it possible we see a world where Liefeld New Mutants covers go for $1m but Kirby FF covers "only" go for 1.5m? Or maybe even "only" $650k? Before you scoff...put your own numbers up instead but at similar ratios (to keep the point the same) and...can that happen? Can Disney/Marvel still be "loved" but new "same old, same old" be worth the same or even more than "same old old"?

Otherwise, if "new" Big Two is a relative flash in the pan of inflationary excess (in general) then it's much easier to see it all collapsing "whenever" the whole edifice propped up by artificial liquidity dries up. That's easy, it's the previous paragragh that makes me think, and I could argue either side of it.

In one sense, you are only looking at the “best case” scenario. What about the price for art by journeymen or on characters who aren’t fan favorites (where I like to dwell). Where is Jack Sparling’s Bomba work going? Or Ramona Fredon (really nice lady) and Metamorpho? They will get killed. And then we get to things like Kirby’s Boys Ranch—great artist, subject matter, uh-uh. A lot of the art I have bought in the past 2 years has not gone up or not gone up much, which is the way I like it. But if this is prologue for the future, the financial future for most art by Ross Andru, Richard Dillin, etc., is not pretty.

On 3/7/2022 at 12:50 PM, batman_fan said:

I actually think all artwork collecting will go away as we move in to fractional ownership :insane:.  He is a good read on one company that does this (similar to other companies during fractional “ownership”).

https://wantfi.com/masterworks-review.html

I hear it's no fun to drive a fraction of a Lamborghini. :shiftyeyes:

On 3/7/2022 at 3:39 PM, batman_fan said:

You don’t think it would be cool to see the look on your friends faces when you tell them about the car you partially own but can’t drive or actually ever even touch?

...but still have pay insurance and upkeep on?

Speaking as one of the "new collectors" (first purchase: 2019), I'm reconciled to collecting mainly newer material. So far my pages are about 40% pre-2000 and 60% post. I have more nostalgia for the 70s/80s material, but there have been plenty of great stories in the last 20 years, and, as has been noted, the art tends to be prettier in the decompression era, with larger panels and tighter, more detailed pencils. The price and availability are attractive as well.

On 3/8/2022 at 8:58 AM, pemart1966 said:

Even when you can't touch them or drive them, they're STILL money pits.   :cry:

I stepped off the vintage European sports cars thing in the late 1990s for exactly that reason. Guess where all that money went instead? :devil:

On 3/8/2022 at 11:03 AM, vodou said:

I stepped off the vintage European sports cars thing in the late 1990s for exactly that reason. Guess where all that money went instead? :devil:

Cocaine?

On 3/7/2022 at 1:39 PM, batman_fan said:

You don’t think it would be cool to see the look on your friends faces when you tell them about the car you partially own but can’t drive or actually ever even touch?

A guy I know bought a Lamborghini.  He financed it over 12 years for $210K.  He was telling me that I needed to buy one and it was such a great deal.  The dealer told him that as long as he didn't put more than 500 or so miles on it a year he'd buy it back in 3 years for $170k.  

On 3/9/2022 at 9:20 PM, buttock said:

A guy I know bought a Lamborghini.  He financed it over 12 years for $210K.  He was telling me that I needed to buy one and it was such a great deal.  The dealer told him that as long as he didn't put more than 500 or so miles on it a year he'd buy it back in 3 years for $170k.  

I am not even going to ask if you bought one because you would think "wait, I could buy XYZ comics for that much money and keep driving my current car"

:baiting:

On 3/10/2022 at 12:20 PM, buttock said:

I’m just a simple non-mathematically inclined lawyer, but this sounds like a terrible deal.

On 3/6/2022 at 8:33 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Which is the fault of the would-be new collectors, for not looking elsewhere, or perhaps not knowing where to look.

Next time, point them in the right direction. Lot's of good Swamp Thing coming out at reasonable prices. They will (or should) thank you for it. 

As a new collector, my collecting aspirations are very narrow: I want art by artists of characters that resonate with me.  It's why my first OA was a Ron Lim sketch of Silver Surfer.  Why my first dealer purchase was a head shot of Wonder Woman by David Finch.  It's generally creators doing the work that drew me to them in the first place.  If not that, then it's pages from stories that I love.  It's why my ultimate grail isn't Amazing Fantasy 15, it's Jim Lee cover art from his Batman run (and if not that, then an interior page, and if not that then cover art from Batman/Catwoman).  New collectors could get some other modern art, but at least from my perspective, I didn't start buying OA to get something other than what I have my heart set on.  I don't know how other new collectors feel, but just thought I'd put in my 2c

On 3/7/2022 at 12:39 PM, batman_fan said:

I dunno, my friends already look at me funny when I tell them I pay to have my books encased in a hard plastic shell so I can never touch or open them again.

On 3/9/2022 at 8:20 PM, buttock said:

I overheard a Lamborghini owner giving his honest opinion on what it's like owning a car to a casual gawker.  He was relaying the story about how the dealership charged $750 for an oil change.  He could have gone to the store and bought some premium oil himself for like $50, but according to him, the maintenance had to be done at a Lamborghini authorized dealership and they had to use the Lamborghini oil.  The car is expensive, but the annual maintenance on a car that probably gets 500 miles a year is equally outrageous (and then there's the insurance).