• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How was the San Francisco show today?
2 2

103 posts in this topic

On 2/28/2022 at 1:06 AM, Xatari said:

Really nice turn out and well run! The room was a little small for the amount of people. I definitely think it was a great first step. 

I would also love to see a dealer with newer and maybe a tad bit cheaper art since I spoke with several people who were checking out the hobby for the first time but immediately felt priced out.

IMHO it's currently hobby for those who got in earlier or are wealthy.  It's also not hobby that needs to have large influx of new collectors to say strong. Due to the one-of-kind nature even small or tiny number of those getting into the hobby are more than adequate to keep prices a jumpin'. Simply put it's not a hobby that needs a constant flow of new blood a few drops every now and then is more than enough.

I don't want to appear cold, and apologies if I do, but unless you have wealth the time to get into most OCA has long, long since passed and finding other hobby interests are recommended. Or go the sketch route, I know people who only do that and they seem very happy. In fact they appear to be more at peace compared to pretty much any art collector I know including myself.

Edited by MAR1979

On 3/2/2022 at 7:11 PM, Latverian Tourism Board said:

Does Saul Zimmerman have a website? Or does anyone know how to contact him and/or see what art he has? Thanks.

On 3/5/2022 at 8:12 AM, Pontoon said:

Yup, it's been gone for many years. It bit the dust around the time he changed coasts, maybe 10-odd years ago? IIRC it was kirbyart.com.

Glad to hear he is still around! Lost track of him a decade ago.

22/23 year back he was one of the first dealers I purchased art from. Still have most of the pieces from my first buy off of him. back then you could get  2-3 1970's DC covers, 2-3 1970's Marvel Splashes for $1500 in total and still have money for lunch. Which describes my first deal with Saul.

Later on as art jumped in value virtually all dealers became more difficult. A natural byproduct of big money. But those early days for me were very special (and may be funding my potential early retirement) and Saul was part of it.

On 3/5/2022 at 12:15 PM, exitmusicblue said:

Agree with Xatari.

Go to many rep sites and there's tons of new to newish art in the low three figures.

If the point is that "the good vintage stuff" is overpriced, that's the case with everything from sports cards to wine to what have you.

But our hobby is ultimately about good art, and there's always good art that can be had on the cheap if one does some research.

Seems like every con I go to I hear some potential new collector exclaim they plan on "Collecting 70's Marvel Covers" :)  I do wonder how long some of them remain the hobby?

BTW yeah there are some folks who have the hustle to succeed in whatever hobby or endeavor in which they participate.. However those with that type of "wiring" are the exceptions.  Appears you are one of the fortunate outliers, but do not assume everyone is capable of accomplishing the same.  The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Edited by MAR1979

On 3/5/2022 at 1:11 PM, MAR1979 said:

Seems like every con I go to I hear some potential new collector exclaim they plan on "Collecting 70's Marvel Covers" :)  I do wonder how long some of them remain the hobby?

BTW yeah there are some folks who have the hustle to succeed in whatever hobby or endeavor in which they participate.. However those with that type of "wiring" are the exceptions.  Appears you are one of the fortunate outliers, but do not assume everyone is capable of accomplishing the same.  The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Interesting point.  "Nothing good comes easy" is an apt mantra for most collecting hobbies, I'd say... unless you're satisfied with things few others desire, which is perfectly fine.  Reminds me of the shin hanga ukiyo-e collecting days.  Recommended for those who like excellent art in bountiful supply on a relative budget.

I don't assume.  For the stuff everyone wants, sorry to say it's basic supply and demand. If you want to watch the new Spidey flick on Opening Day in a decent seat, you'll need some effort.

Maybe an extreme minority of folks can rent out a theater -- many others will hustle (in our hobby oftentimes that's selling or cash/trading stuff we like to get something we like more).  Others will wait.  But it's pointless griping about the lines... though that's only human.

Edited by exitmusicblue

The Silver Age will always be the Silver age. It defines our hobby. Not so the Bronze Age. I think young people (different from new people) entering the hobby will gravitate to what attracted "them" to the hobby and that will not be Bronze marvel covers. The price of some modern stuff compared to what some people are trying to sell bronze stuff for is down right cheap for much better art.

On 3/5/2022 at 3:18 PM, Will_K said:

I think it's also a misconception that people that have deep pockets will avoid buying relatively less expensive stuff.  There's a lot of competition at ALL price levels.

Also a great point. It is critical to be able to reach out and begin relationships with artists, reps, and other collectors. This is not a easy hobby to navigate as a lone wolf. 

I attribute much of the success I’ve been able to experience to the group of which I’m part. 

On 3/5/2022 at 6:29 PM, Xatari said:

Also a great point. It is critical to be able to reach out and begin relationships with artists, reps, and other collectors. This is not a easy hobby to navigate as a lone wolf. 

I attribute much of the success I’ve been able to experience to the group of which I’m part. 

The cabal?:wishluck:

On 3/5/2022 at 9:52 AM, MAR1979 said:

IMHO it's currently hobby for those who got in earlier or are wealthy.  It's also not hobby that needs to have large influx of new collectors to say strong. Due to the one-of-kind nature even small or tiny number of those getting into the hobby are more than adequate to keep prices a jumpin'. Simply put it's not a hobby that needs a constant flow of new blood a few drops every now and then is more than enough.

I don't want to appear cold, and apologies if I do, but unless you have wealth the time to get into most OCA has long, long since passed and finding other hobby interests are recommended. Or go the sketch route, I know people who only do that and they seem very happy. In fact they appear to be more at peace compared to pretty much any art collector I know including myself.

Not to jump on you but there is so much quality art from big name artists under $300, and even cheaper than that. There are absolutely price points for everyone and all it takes is some quick googling. You're definitely not getting a Jim Lee cover at that price but there are thousands of great story pages and even cool splash pages to find with some searching. 

On 3/5/2022 at 2:52 PM, MAR1979 said:

If you want to collect mainstream comic art from the 90s and older - then yes you're correct, that ship has sailed for newer collectors.

If you shift your focus to newer or more obscure stuff, then the hobby becomes a lot more accessible.

On 3/5/2022 at 7:26 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

It defines our hobby.

for you perhaps.

I used to own around 1000 pages and commissions, down to about 350. I never sought out SA art, I was buying what we would call modern. Almost exclusively for the first 20 years.

We all have different foci. I don't think any one era defines the OA hobby. There is more than one measure of central tendency for a reason.